Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for a first boat!! >

Looking for a first boat!!

Notices

Looking for a first boat!!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the first boat, I would try and stick with factory power with the lowest hours you can afford. Custom power can be great but it's very difficult to know exactly what you are getting and it can be very expensive to repower. Compression and leak down check is also very important. With these boats you have to assume they have been run very hard.
Search and read everything you can find on here and decide what brand/size/deal fits you best. Great time to buy now...Good luck!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is average hours per year on a boat? I'm just trying to figure out what is considered low?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jetheadracer
Wow, I am in full on overload been looking at on the internet for hours (mixed in with a bit of work). If there is anything I should look out for while looking for my first boat let me know!!
Jet

Do a searh on other trhead around here, regarding first boat purchase.

Everyone has their oppinions, either because what they have or like or what they want to sell. (just like me, with the Infinity)
BUY WHAT EVER YOU LIKE. Not what some one else likes, or their "wish list'
Set your parameters. Cuddy, porta potti, speed, trailerability, looks, price. etc.
Review the boating you will do. Overnight, performance Poker Runs? weekend excursions? etc.
No matter what you get first, soon you will want something else.
Don't worry about the hours, have some one who knows about boats check it out for you. Most important, whatever you get, the original owners attitude and honesty is most important.
Sellers will tell you anythnig you want to hear. It's the nature of selling.
Get something that catches your eye, you like it, and enjoy.
Remember this will be your first boat, and it will be a learning curve and experiment, not a life long endavor.
Now.. You wanna hear my sales pitch ???
Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

A 25 checkmate 251 convincer gtx is a great boat and is often overlooked....there was one on loto for sale this summer for like 19k and it was ridiculously clean, loaded and unmolested....if you think that is something you maybe interested in I will dig out the photos and the guys number....
Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey jhr...
that stock power advice is good. be sure to go with a bravo drive and hydraulic steering (in the event you decide to up the power in the future). the 25/28 active thunders have good room and manners, so does the 26 sonic. both available with stock power and respectable numbers. be sure that the motor is on L-angles and thru bolted. older checkmates used to lag the mounts to the stringers...you might find a pretty one for a good price, but check for this. fountains are going for reasonable prices right now...nicely loaded...maybe a single 29 (i think a 27 would be too small in that brand)...also be sure the deck and hull are bonded and bolted, don't need a flipped lid if you stuff in some chop...as far as hours, how was it maintained? i have nearly 600 on my 1987 and still going strong!...wade's rumrunner in the classifieds is a good platform/fair price, but the alpha's limit your upgrades..it will, however, take anything you dish out, although it's a twin, sbc's are low cost to maintain, and you get the security of twins..
hope this helps

c
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a first boat!!-25695.jpg  

Last edited by ChristianGott; 01-18-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered

Default 257 powerquest

Jet take a look at this, custom paint, dash panels are done trailer just painted base coat clearcoat new tires and brakes this boat is mint I moved into something bigger email me with any questions [email protected]asking 25,700obo
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2309.jpg   Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2235.jpg   Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2241.jpg  

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Registered

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2299.jpg   Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2223.jpg   Looking for a first boat!!-dscf2294.jpg  

Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...28ss-pics.html

this was my first boat... may of 02 ... traded up in july 03

i bought it back in july 08

built by member sean... sold to me traded to nautikitty sold to cjfischer then back to me

now time for another members turn

Last edited by dreamer; 01-18-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

Really appreciating all the advice i'm getting, and i'm starting to narrow things down............i think. I'm searching and learning as much as I can. I'm getting even more excited about buying a boat the more I read and the more I look around!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Registered

Anyone have a take on this boat, i'm really into the lines and how clean the Velocities look.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998.../United-States

Quick Reply: Looking for a first boat!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.