55 MPH Group in Poker Runs >

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Notices

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Idea...

Looking forward to hearing more about the Lake Nipissing run!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluellama
The fast group leaves first.
If you are trying to grow the sport, and provide a safe enviroment, why would you send slow boats out first only to have the faster boats have to run through that pack.
I've asked the same question at a couple of runs. The answer:

"because the slower boats like to see the faster boats run by them"

Of all the trouble the different event organizers are going to, in hopes of creating a safe/fun event, how is this not the most glaring and dangerous issue, that is most simple to change?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BL, I can tell you from personal experience that most of the "fast boat guys" would whine about having to wait for the "slow boat guys" to "get there". I put up with it for 10 yrs as the poker run director for the club. Didn't mean I would actually listen to them but I pretended to

The main reason I can see to justify the tactic is so that all boats arrive at the card stop at approximately the same time. If the slower boats are given a long enough head start, it can and does work well and safely. The hardest part is getting the fast guys to actually WAIT until they are supposed to leave. Oft times the impatient ones would take off with the slow boat crowd and that would start others doing the same thing.

Solid control over the drivers is what is needed to make it work and still be safe. Not just threats of removal from the event but action as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

We've been running our 60mph group at our events for 4 years now. When we first started it we had only 2-3 boats and they were mostly smaller boats. Now the 60mph class has grown to 15-18 boats that included large 40ft+ big HP boats. They like to run that class becuase they have brought family/friends/kids and don't want to get beat up.

Good luck in the great white north with it! I hope it catches on like it did here!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

We also use 2 pace boats to set the speed of the group as well. Another thing that helps is that we arrive to the card stops as a group and we wait for ALL boats to get their cards and then we leave as a group again. This does away with the OMG they're leaving without us syndrome!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Registered

Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
We've been running our 60mph group at our events for 4 years now. When we first started it we had only 2-3 boats and they were mostly smaller boats. Now the 60mph class has grown to 15-18 boats that included large 40ft+ big HP boats. They like to run that class becuase they have brought family/friends/kids and don't want to get beat up.

Good luck in the great white north with it! I hope it catches on like it did here!
Someone told me your fast pace boat got passed by a 21' Stingray last year........
Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama
PRA runs a similar set up in the 1999 Islands, but they have gone one step further.
The fast group leaves first.
If you are trying to grow the sport, and provide a safe enviroment, why would you send slow boats out first only to have the faster boats have to run through that pack.
So you can watch them rip past and save some smooth water for the smaller boats. I find half the fun in running a poker run is watching the "fast" boats rip by.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveP
We also use 2 pace boats to set the speed of the group as well. Another thing that helps is that we arrive to the card stops as a group and we wait for ALL boats to get their cards and then we leave as a group again. This does away with the OMG they're leaving without us syndrome!
Great idea. Poker runs put some stress on the smaller boat owners to try to keep up with the pack. I for one am not going beat myself or my boat trying to keep up with the pack. I think this approach provides a safer less stress free environment for the boaters involved in the event.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee
I've asked the same question at a couple of runs. The answer:

"because the slower boats like to see the faster boats run by them"

Of all the trouble the different event organizers are going to, in hopes of creating a safe/fun event, how is this not the most glaring and dangerous issue, that is most simple to change?
Alot of boaters come to one poker run a year. They enjoy seeing all the high dollar hardware docked and running. I do a few runs a year and have more fun at watching the big dogs run and chatting at the party than running my own boat. Lets face it most of us run our boats alot harder on a run than we they are taking there family to the beach on saturday.

Quick Reply: 55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.