Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchase deal went wrong. Need Advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204853-purchase-deal-went-wrong-need-advice.html)

JasonSmith 03-18-2009 04:29 PM

So, it sounds to me like the machine shop is the one to be pointing a finger at. Where is their measurement log? Who actually inventoried the pieces & parts as they came apart?
Tell the truth. Did you decide that they just wouldn't work & now you have some buyers remorse over the purchase?

JasonSmith 03-18-2009 04:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LAEOJbyklI&NR=1

baywatch 03-18-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2824036)

The new past time.

36Tango 03-18-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2824034)
So, it sounds to me like the machine shop is the one to be pointing a finger at. Where is their measurement log? Who actually inventoried the pieces & parts as they came apart?
Tell the truth. Did you decide that they just wouldn't work & now you have some buyers remorse over the purchase?

When you unravel the stories, it sure seems like a bit of buyers remorse that kicked into high gear when the shop cracked the blocks.

H2Xmark 03-18-2009 07:49 PM

wow, interesting thread going on here, only 2 ways i see the cracked blocks are 1st way, engines were checked out and given a clean bill of health at kinser, then the owner stored them maybe in the winter time and maybe some water in block froze, this would be easy to tell. second way, the cylinder walls on a bowtie block bored this far out needs to be sonic tested for core shift and wall thickness, so if the only crack's are around the cylinders this is most likely what happened, they should have magnafluxed the blocks then measure bore diam. if they really needed a boring maybe the block should have been sleeved instead of boring to next size. maybe he will go in half with you on some replacement blocks

Griff 03-18-2009 08:15 PM

Freeze damage would not cause that type of cracking.

Boring the cylinders too large, to insert a sleeve, because a few cylinders needed .010 overbore and someone wanted to reuse the old pistons instead of buying all 8 at .010 larger would cause this type of cracking.

WeaponX 03-18-2009 08:29 PM

I will throw out just for fun that Chip from Competion Marine told me it was amazing the motors made the last runs at the Shootout. :drink: Larry ran the motors for years.

But not because of cracks just the huge hours on the motors.
And a friend of mine was thinking of buying the motors from Jeff and I said it was a real good deal in parts just need some $ and work. :ernaehrung004:

AIR TIME 03-18-2009 08:56 PM

instead of spending money on a lawyer, just spend the 2000grang for tall decks bored out by your guy or buy the bored 572 blocks for 2800 and I bet they will knock off money for two since cars are not selling much and for a phone call they can make a buck ship to you. but after reading again I think the machine shop might of goofed since the creaks are around and not up and down. sorry but lawyers fees are going to be the cost of the two blocks.

sean stinson 03-18-2009 09:00 PM

The crack thing is what throws a wrench in the gears for me.....wear and deterioation will give a crack that runs with the cylinder (up & down).....the fact that it is cracked around the circumfrence of the cylinder throws up a major red flag.....so back to my statement about when were the cracks found and it seems to be that from tango 36 quotes of empires posts that we have the answer which is NO DUE DILIGENCE really leaves NO RECOURSE.....

Norty how's the haps out there buddy!!!!!

empire0007 03-18-2009 10:53 PM

Mike wrote;
I will try to get all the parts back and have a different machine shop look at them to get a better idea. Many of you guys have pointed the finger on the machine shop, i will investigate that as well. If you know of any one that specializes in this field which is not far from Los Angeles, I would appreciate the information.

Originally Posted by sean stinson (Post 2824286)
The crack thing is what throws a wrench in the gears for me.....wear and deterioation will give a crack that runs with the cylinder (up & down).....the fact that it is cracked around the circumfrence of the cylinder throws up a major red flag.....so back to my statement about when were the cracks found and it seems to be that from tango 36 quotes of empires posts that we have the answer which is NO DUE DILIGENCE really leaves NO RECOURSE.....

Norty how's the haps out there buddy!!!!!