Notices

Crockett Marine Small Block

Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
[Hi Tyler

Are the exhaust ports on the SB2 head the same as a old school SBC or more like an 18 degree replicated port head?

If you were building this with a clean sheet of paper would you use this head?

The reason I ask is a really want to do a small block 30-32 cat very light with bravo's
Thanks
Steve

Steve the ex ports are not the same as a standard SBC. I had CMI build the headers for these engines. They now can make them for anyone. With the amount of these left over parts you can have quality parts and a lot of HP. I am going to build one of these for my boat so I can run it on pump gas. I have a 532ci engine with 13.2 to1 compression in my race boat and it makes 775HP and 680# torque at 5800 RPM. I will Turn another 1000 RPM with the small block but gas will be 2.00 a gallon instead of 12.00. I will save 200# of weight and have more acceleration with the lighter rotating assembly.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Wow! That's impressive. Are you considering a milder version as a standard offering with a little less cam and compression that can run on 89 octane and still make around 550+ HP? I know many of us that keep our boats in the water can't get premium fuel. A less aggressive cam and valve train would reduce maintenance and improve reliability for those of us looking for high performance alternatives to our boring 320 HP Merc 6.2's.

This is the mild version we only run 34 degree's timing at WOT and the A/F ratio is 12.5 to 12.8 from 3600 rpm to WOT. Nobody makes a hydraulic roller for the SB2 valve arrangment or I would have used them. With the Jesel valve train and the low lash roller I used you will not have to set the lifers very often. The 32 Sunsation that these engines are going in had the 320HP 6.2's and your right it like watching paint dry....
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by kewler
how would these engines do in a larger boat like a 37 OL WITH BRAVOS and would it last. and what would you think it would cost for a pair of these rigged in the boat just a good guess

I think they would work great. The new LS engines GM makes they have 4.250 strokes availible so you can build almost 500ci out of a small block. I am going to get the cost for these SB2 parts and I will list them. I will be testing this 32 Sunsation in a couple weeks I will post the results.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
I will be testing this 32 Sunsation in a couple weeks I will post the results.
Sweet! What does a 32 Sunsation run with 6.2's? What outdrives will you be running? My 292 with 6.2's came with 1.65 to 1 gear ratio. What props? Thanks for sharing! We sb owners enjoy dreaming too...
Old 05-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Sweet! What does a 32 Sunsation run with 6.2's? What outdrives will you be running? My 292 with 6.2's came with 1.65 to 1 gear ratio. What props? Thanks for sharing! We sb owners enjoy dreaming too...

The boat ran a blistering 68MPH with the 6.2's. We will run the Bravo drives with a Imco 2" shorty and 1.50 gear and 24 or 26 4 blade at 7000 RPM I would like to see 100 MPH.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
Steve the ex ports are not the same as a standard SBC. I had CMI build the headers for these engines. They now can make them for anyone. With the amount of these left over parts you can have quality parts and a lot of HP. I am going to build one of these for my boat so I can run it on pump gas. I have a 532ci engine with 13.2 to1 compression in my race boat and it makes 775HP and 680# torque at 5800 RPM. I will Turn another 1000 RPM with the small block but gas will be 2.00 a gallon instead of 12.00. I will save 200# of weight and have more acceleration with the lighter rotating assembly.
For a milder but simpler cheaper lighter package. Could you use stainless marine manifolds? They are really light and last forever. I realize you would lose torque particuarly down low. The reason I ask is it still sounds like the header is custom build.

I have been looking at doing an all aluminum fresh Water cooled pair trying for a real mild cam 550 hp at 6000 RPM. Did you use Beehive springs?
Thanks
Steve
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered

The only thing you could consider (small) about these engines is the weight. I can think of alot of ways to put these to use. A pair in 28 Pantera or A/T would be hot. Very Nice Tyler, Doug
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
For a milder but simpler cheaper lighter package. Could you use stainless marine manifolds? They are really light and last forever. I realize you would lose torque particuarly down low. The reason I ask is it still sounds like the header is custom build.

I have been looking at doing an all aluminum fresh Water cooled pair trying for a real mild cam 550 hp at 6000 RPM. Did you use Beehive springs?
Thanks
Steve
Thanks
Steve

Steve the SB2 have their own ex bolt pattern that's why I had to have CMI build the headers. I used the same springs they run in the car engines. They were not bee hive springs. I would look into building a LS engine it has a aluminum block and good heads and CMI is building headers to fit those also.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by outriggers
The only thing you could consider (small) about these engines is the weight. I can think of alot of ways to put these to use. A pair in 28 Pantera or A/T would be hot. Very Nice Tyler, Doug

Thank's Doug
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.