Notices

pro charger system

Old 03-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was the first to build a Vortec Intercooled kit in 1996. Before Procharger and Whipple and all the others. Tried to market it but was ahead of the game, EFI was too new to marine. I would not sell 'a kit' and would only do custom professional installations. Ran 11lbs boost, new fuel system, ignition, stock ECU, stock engine even manifolds. That engine made 744HP and 805+TQ. Now we had full guages, boost, fuel pressure, EGT, knock. I built and ran the largest intercooler you will ever see. It would cool the intake charge to WATER TEMP! Which most days was 65-70 degrees!
Intercooling and controlling detonation is the key. I have see many blown engines with guys who skinp on the fuel system and who fiddle with the boost and timing. Be satisified with what the blower manufacture sets the boost and timing at.
If you want more power then add exhaust manifolds, ported aftermarket heads, cam and displacement but don't forget the fuel!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize !! To me, checking plugs & watching fuel pressure is second nature and not "extra work"...... but you are correct. the fuel system MUST be upgraded (which Procharger does) and regulated for the boost given (automatic boost compensated pressure regulation-included also). Always check the plugs at least every 10 hours (as recommended by Nickerson Performance). Not every plug needs to be checked every time, do it on a rotational basis, two plugs at a time (1-8, 3-6, 5-4, 7-2 for example) & then replace those with new ones. This way over 40 hours you have replaced a set of plugs & checked engine burn/wear 4 times over 40 hours. Start each season with a new set & check all at the end of the season. This method has worked very well for me as a "recreational" fast boater & helps keep the cost & time commitment to a minimum while still keeping an eye on the engine.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to keep this going but i hate to be misunderstood i just feel the average guy can't afford to build up an engine and procharge it to boot that's all .....we all don't have bundles of money to spend so we all just do the best we can with what we can afford......i try to do the best job for everyone.....i don't know it all or even close to knowing it all........ but i was just tryin to help sonic 26 i know it can be a hard decision to make and i agree that controling the fuel through remapping the ecm is a better way (the way whipple does) .......i give the customer alot of different ways to go.....and he does what he can afford at the time....then later he can upgrade (ecm)(more boost)(exhaust)(head work)or even build up the engine (more cubic inches)I won't set him up on the ragged edge and turn him loose then your just asking for trouble and problems for the customer.

and again i think whipple has great product congrats to dustin and teague and everyone involved in the 144mph record run......very impressive!.....i know the knowledge it takes to attain those kinds of speeds and i respect that.

also i'm sorry if i was yelling before i didn't know.....i can't type worth a darn!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i forgot to answer cattitude..... i can't say these were all pro installs but all other things were 100% stock on these engines......but that has been the only problem i have heard on that system all were 454 502 efi merc no 500hp.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thread guys! I have a question for you in a thread on the Tech Q&A forum titled "Question for intercooled centrifugal supercharger guys." Check it out.

Thanks,

Tom