Like Tree0Likes

Baja Islander 212 opinions from the Crowd

Reply
Old 04-02-2002, 10:43 AM
  #11
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

310 hp at the prop. This boat has a 23 degree bottom and a swim platform, full purple bow and mooring cover.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:03 AM
  #12
dallas01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I purchased a new 212 a year ago last month. For the type of watersports you describe, it will do a great job for you. Mine runs the speed you describe and is very comfortable. The boat handles well and is dry. Lots of storage space and room for 6 without falling all over each other. Baja does a nice job putting the boat together from what I have seen crawling all over it.

I have the same type trailer you will get and it does a great job. Easy to load/unload. I pull mine with an Excursion V-10.

Last summer I borrowed a 21' prop and the hole shot was stronger. But the 23' does well and am confident the folks setting these up know a ton more than I do about those issues. It is nice to have a little more "pop" when you are pulling a heavy skier but I don't know how much the 21" will knock the top end down.

We boat alot at LOTO and avoid the rush hour to the party cove as the water is big. As mentioned by others, the 212 is not a huge boat but I feel safe in it with my family. It is a very easy boat to drive and you will be surprised when you are going down the lake and the speedo says 65 MPH and the ride is smooth and effortless. (GPS who knows ??)

By the way I had thru-hull exhaust installed (paid $1500) and enjoy the sound though not sure if it does anything for the speed. Mine was a new 2000 equipped same as yours and paid $27,000.00 NOT including the Capt-call exhaust.

My dealer was not the best to deal with (St. Louis area). I had the exhaust installed at another outstanding Baja dealer in Morris IL. If I was a dealer selling a 212 I would know in the back of my mind I want to do all I could to make sure this person comes back when its time to buy the next size up.

Probably telling you more than you need to know but I want you to know I am 100% happy with my 212. No regrets whatsoever.

Good luck.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:30 AM
  #13
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,220
Default

Eric1969,

If the 212 is the boat that your have decided on that is great. I don't think you need to go all the way to NE to find one. Baja makes a ton of boats, I would think you can find one closer to GA.

My .02

Dave M.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:04 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rochester, MN
My Boats: 95 baja
Posts: 310
Default

Eric
I have a 212 islander for sale its a 97 454L has all of the covers bow filler cushion inodized cup holders and bezels, drive shower, thru hull exhaust. boat is purples and a gray, runs out awesome. 65.3 on gps. asking 21.000 for it.
Mark
Wildchild212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:50 PM
  #15
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
dirtlawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
My Boats: 27 Concept & Mastercraft 190 Prostar
Posts: 452
Default

Eric -

there's a 2001 at Lightning Bay Marine with about 50 - 60 hours on her - I've seen it and its in absolute cherry condition - I think they are asking 27,900 or so - the boat is seriously like brand new - plus its a lot closer (and you could spend the weekend down here once you bought it).

Call Mike Flanigan (the owner) at (727) 822-4470 or check out his website www.lightningbaymarine.com

good luck in your search
dirtlawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 04:16 PM
  #16
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
skygod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
My Boats: 2000 29 Baja Outlaw
Posts: 256
Default

My first Baja was a 232 isl w/a 7.4 310 hp. The 212 is too small, I paid 34K loaded w/trailer in 98. Mine ran 60 on GPS, the 212 should run faster w/the 6.2. The 232 is a better riding heavier boat with more deadrise I believe 23 vs 21. The extra room is worth it. Tabs are worth having. Good luck!
skygod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:01 AM
  #17
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dallas01
I purchased a new 212 a year ago last month. For the type of watersports you describe, it will do a great job for you. Mine runs the speed you describe and is very comfortable. The boat handles well and is dry. Lots of storage space and room for 6 without falling all over each other. Baja does a nice job putting the boat together from what I have seen crawling all over it.

I have the same type trailer you will get and it does a great job. Easy to load/unload. I pull mine with an Excursion V-10.

Last summer I borrowed a 21' prop and the hole shot was stronger. But the 23' does well and am confident the folks setting these up know a ton more than I do about those issues. It is nice to have a little more "pop" when you are pulling a heavy skier but I don't know how much the 21" will knock the top end down.

We boat alot at LOTO and avoid the rush hour to the party cove as the water is big. As mentioned by others, the 212 is not a huge boat but I feel safe in it with my family. It is a very easy boat to drive and you will be surprised when you are going down the lake and the speedo says 65 MPH and the ride is smooth and effortless. (GPS who knows ??)

By the way I had thru-hull exhaust installed (paid $1500) and enjoy the sound though not sure if it does anything for the speed. Mine was a new 2000 equipped same as yours and paid $27,000.00 NOT including the Capt-call exhaust.

My dealer was not the best to deal with (St. Louis area). I had the exhaust installed at another outstanding Baja dealer in Morris IL. If I was a dealer selling a 212 I would know in the back of my mind I want to do all I could to make sure this person comes back when its time to buy the next size up.

Probably telling you more than you need to know but I want you to know I am 100% happy with my 212. No regrets whatsoever.

Good luck.
Dallas,

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking and hoping for. I am going to shop around Atlanta for a better and closer deal.

What did yours have in it for power?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:03 AM
  #18
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtlawyer
Eric -

there's a 2001 at Lightning Bay Marine with about 50 - 60 hours on her - I've seen it and its in absolute cherry condition - I think they are asking 27,900 or so - the boat is seriously like brand new - plus its a lot closer (and you could spend the weekend down here once you bought it).

Call Mike Flanigan (the owner) at (727) 822-4470 or check out his website www.lightningbaymarine.com

good luck in your search
I have emailed Mike before about this boat. If my memory is accurate, it comes with a 350 , which is 260HP if I recall. I would rather have something with more power and speed.

thanks for watching out for me though!
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:47 AM
  #19
Registered
 
Baja232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: S.F. Bay Area
My Boats: 1997 Baja 232 Islander
Posts: 48
Default

I had to make that decision a few years ago and I went with the 232. I think the 21 is a little too small and in the end you'll want the extra room. We do a lot of water sports, skiing , tubing and the 232 is perfect. Also, for thise in the front of the boat, in the 232 you can strech your legs out, the 21 was a little too short.

just my opinion.
Baja232 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:47 PM
  #20
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja232
I had to make that decision a few years ago and I went with the 232. I think the 21 is a little too small and in the end you'll want the extra room. We do a lot of water sports, skiing , tubing and the 232 is perfect. Also, for thise in the front of the boat, in the 232 you can strech your legs out, the 21 was a little too short.

just my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I am still leaning towards the 21 due to minimizing my cost.

Spoke to Atlanta dealer. Has 2 212s with the 7.4L, 310HP. Both boats I believe are new and are year 2000 models. Very good prices, but I want the most power/torque for the $$$.

I really want to get the best performing boat for the money, which is why I really want the 6.2 or more. Don't want to be under powered.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WRedmann
Baja
9
02-17-2009 02:32 PM
mountainstone
Baja
4
06-27-2007 07:35 PM
rappinleroy
Baja
6
07-28-2004 07:57 AM
Eric1969
General Boating Discussion
15
06-03-2004 10:02 PM
mhunter
Baja
18
03-03-2002 11:52 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.