Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   48' MTI vs 46' Skater Drag Race/Lake Ozark Shootout! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/214703-48-mti-vs-46-skater-drag-race-lake-ozark-shootout.html)

MES 08-10-2009 11:47 PM

48' MTI vs 46' Skater Drag Race/Lake Ozark Shootout!

More info is to follow but here is the short version:

For the first time in the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout history a two boat drag race has been approved. There will be a total of three passes (two on Saturday and one on Sunday). Both Boats will run at the same time side by side on the 400' wide course. The two boats that have been picked by the Shootout committee are:

48' MTI equipped with two top secret Sterling engines driven by Bob Bull/CMS and throttled by Randy Scism/Marine Technology Inc.

46' Skater equipped with four Mercury Racing 1,000HP's driven by Matthew Smith/Performance Boat Brokerage.com and throttled by Bob Morgan/Bad Moon Risin'

Bob Morgan said he has been trying to get the Shootout to do this for over 15 years and is extremely excited that it is finally going to happen. More info on this will be online soon. For information about the 2009 Lake Ozark Shootout visit the official Shootout site at www.lakeoftheozarksshootout.org

mpally 08-10-2009 11:59 PM

MTI vs. Skater..... could be very interesting! I assume this is a true drag race and the boats will not be on plane? I wouldn't think BMR could get up and go in 1 mile.

Catmando 08-11-2009 01:24 AM

Bull should have the weight advantage so I say MTI wins 2 out of three.

Jesse James 08-11-2009 01:34 AM

that 4 wheel drive is tough out of the turns/short run and last week the trannies were out of the mti:coolcowboy:

GLH 08-11-2009 06:10 AM

The one with the engines that blows up in 140 seconds instead of the one with the engines that cato's in 120 seconds will win...

To me this doesn't mean much, it is more of a drag race of which a bunch of little boats that race every weekend in Drag boat competition could eat those big rigs up on that lake, even if it's a mile.

Give me a race like Miami - Bimini - Miami or around some Island like Malta that they do in P1 or Class 1 in Europe then you'll get my attention.

We just got done yanking all the nitrous oxide braided line out of Drambuie from it's last time it was in the water running at the shootout before I got it, a lot of hardware for 45 seconds...

44MTI 08-11-2009 09:00 AM

This should be really fun to watch.
Of course I am going say MTI all the way.
At first I thought the Skater may have an advantage with for wheel pulling, but I think the additional weight will be more that offset that. Not to mention this MTI also beat the Geico MTI in the kile a few weeks back. I think that tells alot about the potential of this boat.
Should be fun to watch either way.

JasonSmith 08-11-2009 10:05 AM

My vote is the Skater.

JUSTGOLF 08-11-2009 10:06 AM

nice to see Bob back at the shootout:ernaehrung004:

AIR TIME 08-11-2009 11:15 AM

its a tuff one skater, I know jerrys 46 hooks up quick with the turbines and 37 1/2p 5 blades. are both running #6 drives ?? bobs boat would be easier on the drives at 1000hp each and the mti being 1500 or so that will be tuff on the sixes. well best of luck to both. but come on skater!!!!

Sean H 08-11-2009 11:29 AM

flying start? MTI

standing start? Skater (Bob has more props and more spare parts to break :evilb:)

Top Gun? Mystic. :cool:

JasonSmith 08-11-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 2929622)
flying start? MTI

standing start? Skater (Bob has more props and more spare parts to break :evilb:)

Word on the street is Dave backed out on the drag race challenge.
Just the word on the street.............

Mac 08-11-2009 11:50 AM

If the 48 MTI runs anything like it did at Havasu, I cant imagine it getting out run, best of luck to both!

44MTI 08-11-2009 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 2929622)
flying start? MTI

From a standing start, that is alot of weight to get on plane and get moving in the Skater,.:coolcowboy:

Keytime 08-11-2009 12:25 PM

Isn't there a fast cat from Havasu that's supposed to show up? Seemed like it was an Eliminator or a DCB or something. There was a post on it.

Edit: Found it - http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/e...ut-2009-a.html

BLee 08-11-2009 12:50 PM

*yawn*

In this drag race, is Bob Morgan running his 4 engined Skater he used to call Bigfoot? That thing is a beast, and would be like trying to see what a freight train will do in a 1/4 mile.

The best thing to add to the Shootout, would be either a 2-3 mile run, or allowing the boats to enter the 1 mile course just on plane. THAT would be something to see as far as putting up new huge numbers that haven't been seen again & again. :ernaehrung004:

JAXOUTLAW 08-11-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MES (Post 2929333)
More info is to follow but here is the short version:

For the first time in the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout history a two boat drag race has been approved. There will be a total of three passes (two on Saturday and one on Sunday). Both Boats will run at the same time side by side on the 400' wide course. The two boats that have been picked by the Shootout committee are:

48' MTI equipped with two top secret Sterling engines driven by Bob Bull/CMS and throttled by Randy Scism/Marine Technology Inc.

46' Skater equipped with four Mercury Racing 1,000HP's driven by Matthew Smith/Performance Boat Brokerage.com and throttled by Bob Morgan/Bad Moon Risin'

Bob Morgan said he has been trying to get the Shootout to do this for over 15 years and is extremely excited that it is finally going to happen. More info on this will be online soon. For information about the 2009 Lake Ozark Shootout visit the official Shootout site at www.lakeoftheozarksshootout.org

(4) 1,000 seems like a lot of weight for a drag race.

Jesse James 08-11-2009 01:34 PM

I was told 60 mph flying start

GLH 08-11-2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2929672)
...like trying to see what a freight train will do in a 1/4 mile.

Good point.

But he can always prop it for 1 mile, still a lot of weight however.

GLH 08-11-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 2929704)
I was told 60 mph flying start

If like that, It'll be another Gino & Mr. Pyburn kind of an argument.

Von Bongo 08-11-2009 01:56 PM

*yawn*

or allowing the boats to enter the 1 mile course just on plane. :

Correction: Last year they were allowed a rolling start to save on the hardware for all boats .

Be interesting to see how far back they move the spectator fleet this year. The course isn't widest thing anyway.

JAXOUTLAW 08-11-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2929715)

I would rather see that happen!!

JUSTGOLF 08-11-2009 02:18 PM

hey they are trying something new, let's all see how it goes, it might be fun to watch.

44MTI 08-11-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2929722)
I guess it's been a while since you were at the shootout. Last year they were allowed a rolling start to save on the hardware for all boats and in prior years the big cats, Callen, Bud/Bacardi and so on always were allowed to be on plane.

Be interesting to see how far back they move the spectator fleet this year. The course isn't widest thing anyway.

I talked to some of the racers last yr. and at the end of the day they were letting anyone make extra passes at N/C and many were running 80 MPH when they went through the start.

I am curious about the 400FT wide lane. Never been that wide before and that is not the widest area of the lake.
Just for the info, BMR motors only started out as Merc 1000's many yrs ago. Lots of changes and more hp since then.Over 1200 for sure.:coolcowboy:Still it should be alot of fun to watch.

JasonSmith 08-11-2009 06:15 PM

*yawn*

In this drag race, is Bob Morgan running his 4 engined Skater he used to call Bigfoot? That thing is a beast, and would be like trying to see what a freight train will do in a 1/4 mile.

Don't think it was ever called Big Foot. It was always raced under Big Thunder Marine. There have been 2 or 3 quad engine packaged 46's he has had built. I think Jimmy Lee raced in one of them. I know he did in the Freedom boat.
Don't count the 46 out. Jimmy & Bob held the lap speed record in KW all the way up to last year. Dave Scott & JT beat it by one mph I think.
Any way you look at it, I think it will be pretty cool.

bigo181979 08-11-2009 07:36 PM

I think Cat Killer should have been invited.......:lolhit::angry-smiley-038:

BLee 08-11-2009 08:07 PM

I guess it's been a while since you were at the shootout. Last year they were allowed a rolling start to save on the hardware for all boats and in prior years the big cats, Callen, Bud/Bacardi and so on always were allowed to be on plane.

From your past responses to any of my posts, I realize that I've somehow found my way to your bad side?

Your "guess" is correct by technicality, because I definitely missed last year. I was there the previous 6-7 years, but from your much appreciated heads up, last year was clearly the life changing experience, which happens to be the year I decided seeing 205-207mph as a spectator, just wasn't that surprising anymore (see: human nature), even though that's just INCREDIBLE on a one mile course!

So, as neato as it is that you MC the event, try to not rudely put yourself in the way of the fans that have objective opinions... or aka: the ones that don't "work" for the event, but actually participate. Sorry to have somehow upset you, but I have never had any intention, or even awareness of anything you have ever even said indicating your distaste for me. My bad? :ernaehrung004:

mmareno 08-11-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2929715)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

N2LAVEYS 08-11-2009 10:49 PM

i feel this can go either way.

you say the mti has 1500's and the skater has 4x1000's. from a dead standstill the mti will blow the skater out of the water.. having 4 engines, the props will blow out like crazy with all that weight which the mti will out power..

if they start @ 60 mph the boats will still be in a sticky/wet idle, but this is where the skater can over power and accelerate and will probably hold till about 130 where the mti has the weight advantage and twin power to lift and pack that air..

There will be many overall factors, wind, water, temp, weight, props, and balls that are going to come to play, but i say the skater will be proped for approx 200 and mti will either have engine troubles or not have the weight to hold the top speeds, figuring there will a few element changes...

this could all be just bs but i guess we will just have to see.

LubeJobs42 08-11-2009 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by JAXOUTLAW (Post 2929727)
I would rather see that happen!!

YOU NEVER KNOW! ;)

Jesse James 08-11-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2930006)
From your past responses to any of my posts, I realize that I've somehow found my way to your bad side?

Your "guess" is correct by technicality, because I definitely missed last year. I was there the previous 6-7 years, but from your much appreciated heads up, last year was clearly the life changing experience, which happens to be the year I decided seeing 205-207mph as a spectator, just wasn't that surprising anymore (see: human nature), even though that's just INCREDIBLE on a one mile course!

So, as neato as it is that you MC the event, try to not rudely put yourself in the way of the fans that have objective opinions... or aka: the ones that don't "work" for the event, but actually participate. Sorry to have somehow upset you, but I have never had any intention, or even awareness of anything you have ever even said indicating your distaste for me. My bad? :ernaehrung004:

I dont know why you e-dock guys have to come in on a tangent everytime shootout comes around :lolhit:

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-12-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2929917)
Don't think it was ever called Big Foot. It was always raced under Big Thunder Marine. There have been 2 or 3 quad engine packaged 46's he has had built. I think Jimmy Lee raced in one of them. I know he did in the Freedom boat.
Don't count the 46 out. Jimmy & Bob held the lap speed record in KW all the way up to last year. Dave Scott & JT beat it by one mph I think.

Any way you look at it, I think it will be pretty cool

OH YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!:drink::drink::drink::drink:

BLee 08-12-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2929917)

I remember them calling it BigFoot around the Big Thunder "race camp" a few times, but that may have only been a joke or some inside gesture they used for fun. It actually made a lot of sense when you look at the shear size of that SOB! :eek:

I think it will be cool too. They are just SUCH big boats that calling it a drag race paints a funny mental picture in my head.

Go Skater! :drink:

JasonSmith 08-12-2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2930322)
I remember them calling it BigFoot around the Big Thunder "race camp" a few times, but that may have only been a joke or some inside gesture they used for fun. It actually made a lot of sense when you look at the shear size of that SOB! :eek:

I think it will be cool too. They are just SUCH big boats that calling it a drag race paints a funny mental picture in my head.

Go Skater! :drink:

Wonder what the burnout box will look like? :grinser010:

BLee 08-12-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2930324)
Wonder what the burnout box will look like? :grinser010:

Hahaha, EXACTLY what I was picturing!

hammer01 08-12-2009 09:34 AM

I think this will be a great show regardless. If memory serves me correct, the other quad engine boat that was one of the original Big Thunder boats is "The Recycler" which is a quad boat still and ran in the Shootout the last several years, at least 2 years ago it did for sure. It was written up in Powerboat as a matter of fact. I think its Shootout speed was in the upper 130's. Anyway, if it is a running start, I can't wait to see how much past the 130 number it gets to and maybe they can run both quad boats against each other, I am sure the Onken boys would be more than happy to run the Recycler in this debut!!!! Fun stuff!!!!

Von Bongo 08-12-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2930006)

Blee, your right in that I shouldn't have worded it that way, I'm sorry it isn't a personal thing with you at all.

A lot if miss information gets posted on here about boats, events, people, vendors and so on and people treat it as if it were the gospel truth. My intent was to correct that part of the post that wasn't accurate concerning the start and I should have left my smart a s s side out of it. :lolhit:

As far as opinions and ideas, continue to fire away with them, I know the organizers are always receptive to them both from participants and spectators point of view. I believe on one or more message boards after last years event input was solicited from the organizers. Without the participation from either side the event doesn't exist. Hence the new rolling starts last year, the "drag" set up this year, the dock set aside for spectator parking at CR's this year, the water Taxi to the Celebration this year and many more are all ideas in the last year to make the event better for all.

So, again, sorry, rude remark, it wasn't warranted and I hope you attend and participate in the event in the future.

On a positive note, a new participant PM'ed me about our posts about how the start was done and he was able to get over to youtube to see the video shot from the start line last year to see how it is all done.

Thanks to Keytime for finding the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYXQMvtR-o

BLee 08-12-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2930345)
Blee, your right in that I shouldn't have worded it that way, I'm sorry it isn't a personal thing with you at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYXQMvtR-o

Cool man, no problem! You just hit me off guard, and I wasn't sure how I got off track with you! :ernaehrung004:

I'm pumped as hell about the Shootout this year! :musik010:

Von Bongo 08-12-2009 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2930354)
You just hit me off guard,I'm pumped

I was hit off guard that someone actually reads what I write!!!! :eek:

Can't wait for the event either. See ya in 2 weeks.

JasonSmith 08-12-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by hammer01 (Post 2930344)
I think this will be a great show regardless. If memory serves me correct, the other quad engine boat that was one of the original Big Thunder boats is "The Recycler" which is a quad boat still and ran in the Shootout the last several years, at least 2 years ago it did for sure. It was written up in Powerboat as a matter of fact. I think its Shootout speed was in the upper 130's. Anyway, if it is a running start, I can't wait to see how much past the 130 number it gets to and maybe they can run both quad boats against each other, I am sure the Onken boys would be more than happy to run the Recycler in this debut!!!! Fun stuff!!!!

The current Recycler boat is not the boat Bob Morgan owns now.

JaayTeee 08-12-2009 10:35 AM

Kind of what I was thinking too.

I can't image 2 boats of that caliber going down
the exsisting course together.