Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Dodge truck owners with Rear end problems? >

Any Dodge truck owners with Rear end problems?

Notices

Any Dodge truck owners with Rear end problems?

Old 04-03-2002, 07:57 PM
packinair

some of you guys crack me up. there is 141k on a truck and it is a shocker that things are starting to wear out.. Sean, so every chrysler product SUCKS because you had to change brakes @ 20k. do you tow? city drive? are you the "perfect driver under ideal driving conditions"? Did you know that if you exceed the manufactors recomadations (payload etc) by 25% (keep in mind if you have a 2000# payload this would be 400#) you reduce the expected truck life by 50%.This applies to ALL brands not just dodge. Now keeping in mind that most people work the living **** out of their dodges because they are such well made truck it is amazing that they hold up as well as they do. YES there was a tranny problem in '96, that is 6 model years ago. I am sure we can start a post on what pieces of **** dodge, chevy, ford, the BMW X5, and more than likley everyother manufactur in the world. So my 2 cents said that is all I have to say. Sorry if it may seem harsh but I am tired after being in detroit all week doing competitive comperisons between the dodge VS. chevy, ford, toyota, etc. I make my living selling the dodge trucks. so guess who wins overall? check 4-wheeler mag for their truck of the year, yup you guessed it.. the dodge, for you who have them and love them, you know where I am coming from.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'94 5.2L 4x4 standard cab long box. 171,525 miles to date. Just now starting to have some trouble with it. Nothing major. Just annoying stuff. Tows the boat every weekend in the summer.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Packinair,

For your information, the Jeep sits in the garage all week long, as I commute to work via train. I use the vehicle on the weekends only and do not tow---there's not even a hitch installed. I have never carried anything more than a couple of suitcases on weeknd trips to my summer home which is 60 miles each way. This vehicle looks like it just rolled off the showrtoom floor. My girlfriend claims I treat the Jeep better than I do her! Now...tell me wher I went wrong...please!

Never mind...I'll tell you...I bought a sh*t Chrylser product and will never buy one again. Can you honestly tell me that after 38,000 miles I should have a $1200 repair bill? C'mon dude!

Bowtie only from now on!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

How does the saying go? Something like, "If it has tits or tires, it's gonna' be TROUBLE"!!

Apologies in advance to all the ladies out there!!
Old 04-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Sean--remember,the brakes only wear when your foot is on the brake pedal--i have customers that need brake pads in 12k--driving habits have alot of influence on wear life--not a direct reflection on a particular manufacturer
Old 04-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I said, I am VERY easy on my vehicles---I don't slam on the brakes nor do I ride them like most do.

The front brake replacement was part of a recall, not normal wear, but they tried to charge me for new rotors when the pads were recalled...now I see cause and effect here and I wasn't about to pay for new rotors when their pads were defective...

Now a rear end and brakes at 38,000 miles???
Old 04-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

The rear end should be covered as a GOODWILL claim--your dealer does have the ability to make it happen,especially if you bought it from THEM--the front brake thing sounds like the dealer was screwing you unless they were replacing the rotors and offered to replace the pads while they had them out when performing the recall (with no labor charge,only parts)
Old 04-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Registered

Default I'm with Sean

I used my truck for hauling one engine, or a 1200 lb boat and the rear end went out at 40k. I think there is no excuse for this. Meanwhile my dad puts 130000 hard towing miles on his Chevy without any problems. That is what pisses me off.

Bowtie for me as well.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I can understand your being upset with things breaking at under 40k, but your theory that Dodge/Chrysler products are garbage because you had a problem with your vehicle really in my case and possibly many others goes out the window when compared to folks with favorable experiences. I have over 200k and have had only minor problems with my Dodge. Not to mention I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with no problems, yet I have had problems with both Chevy and Ford. Granted eveyone, along with yourself are entitled to their opinion, and you certainly are entitled to a negative opinion of YOUR vehicle based on your experiences, but I don't think it's fair to call Dodge/Chrysler S*#T based upon what has been a lousy vehicle that you purchased, because I'm willing to bet their are just as many who feel they are a great truck. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you decide on the vehicle you think will make you the happiest and then hope for the best that you don't get one of that manufacturers lemons. If that's a Bowtie Great!, or if it's a Mopar, same thing.

Les
Old 04-04-2002, 06:08 PM
brakeless

Angry

Had an '86 Dodge and I replaced almost everything at least once before I sold it. The rear end went while I was going through a traffic light and locked me up and I couldn't even push it. The truck spewed so much oil going down the road that I had to wipe the boat off before launching. Driving Ford now and love it.