Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Notices

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Old 04-16-2002, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skypirate-
Congrats on you decision and purchase- I'm sure you did your homework and bought what was right for you!
We bought an AT late last year, and are quite happy with our decision to do so as well.
Cigarettes are nice boats........
Powerplays are nice boats.......
Active Thunders are nice boats.......
and so on......

It makes no sense to comment on any boat unless you've seen how it's constructed, talked to the people that do the construction, and been in it for a test drive!
To each his own- buy what works FOR YOU!

Newer companies vs. older companies (with maybe more heritage)?---- Is a Dell computer worse than an IBM? I'd say Dell does a pretty good job with excellent marketing and excellent product to back it up for a fairly young company taking on 'big blue'. Active Thunder is doing the same- they know the competition is stiff!

As far as all the discussions about this boat vs. that on this board- AT and otherwise, maybe it's time to step back and think of those less fortunate- those who will never own something like these machines at all. There are families with a simple runabout that equal or exceed our enjoyments in boating, and that boat is more than enough for them. It's all a matter of priorities.

No matter what you drive, I for one am going to give you a smile, a wave, and a thumbs up. I can only hope for a genuine one in return!
Old 04-16-2002, 02:10 AM
Charter Member #1528

You imply that there is some correlation between new manufacturer's and inferior products
Apparently you took my statement wrong......
Anyway....

I am sorry to hear you experienced that.
And to be honest, it happened to a guy I was involved with a year ago. He brought up the same concerns, so yes, I have experienced the facts on that matter.
But, I didn't past judgment 1st chance I got......
Things do change, they have had some bridges to hurdle, and I give them the benefit of the doubt. They have had a tough road with a good product.
Nor do I judge because Dan doesn't post. That is he choice.

I simply stated what I saw on the sidelines, knowing or not, I felt there were judgments made without clear concrete facts. Including ones directed my way!

I also stated how I appreciate when I see dedicated owners and I would like to be educated on AT, since I don't know a lot about them or their history....

I respect the sport as a whole!
history and current ....

Last edited by RiverGirl; 04-16-2002 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally posted by Whatdoin

THIS SEEMS TO BE A VERY STUPID COMMENT, MORE LIKE A COMENT FROM SOMEONE WHO CAN'T AFFORD QUALITY MATERIALS...WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT WOOD ($20 A SHEET) IN A BOAT WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A QUALITY COMPOSITE ($500 A SHEET)...JUST CURIOUS!
Whoa...hold on a minute. There are some great boat manufacturers still using wood successfully...Pantera, Powerplay, and Cig still use it in some areas. Why would I want to pay a jacked up price for composite when properly installed wood is arguably better? There was a good article in Boating Magazine by Lenny Rudow last month addressing composite vs wood. He cautioned people not to buy in to the industry wide assumption that wood is not good. Some of his points were that some of the manufacturers have lifetime transferrable warrantees on their wood products (AT is not the only manufacturer with confidence in their products), closed cell foam is not as stiff, wood has better sound deadening properties, screws get a better bite in wood, wood has superior memory which will retain its shape longer under heavy loading. Wood is also not as light as composite, heavier means better riding (also need more power). Wood has a longer history of durability than composite (if installed properly).
I denfinately think there is merit to what Bosco is saying.

Last edited by Indy; 04-16-2002 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:19 AM
ThunderousDaze

INDY, I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS A FEW OF YOUR COMMENTS:
Why would I want to pay a jacked up price for composite when properly installed wood is arguably better?
THE ACTIVE THUNDER IS COMPETITIVELY PRICED AND IN MANY COMPARISONS LESS MONEY, WE FEEL WE ARE GIVING THE CUSTOMER MORE VALUE BY ADDING HIGHER QUALITY MATERIALS

Some of his points were that some of the manufacturers have lifetime transferrable warrantees on their wood products (AT is not the only manufacturer with confidence in their products), closed cell foam is not as stiff,
ACTUALLY, IN THE CASE OF STRINGERS, THE SHAPE AND MATERIALS YOU PUT OVER THE SHAPE CREATE THE STRENGTH.

wood has better sound deadening properties, screws get a better bite in wood,
WE THROUGH-BOLT WITH BACKING PLATES

wood has superior memory which will retain its shape longer under heavy loading. Wood is also not as light as composite, heavier means better riding
IN THE OLD DAYS, YES, BUT IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM, NOT TRUE, WEIGHT DOES NOT MEAN A BETTER RIDE IN A PROPERLY DESIGNED HULL - WHICH WE PAID HARRY SCHOELL TO DESIGN AND IT'S PATENTED WITH WASHINGTON DC.

(also need more power). Wood has a longer history of durability than composite (if installed properly).
IF INSTALLED PROPERLY IS THE KEY! BUT WHAT IF A RIGGER FORGETS TO PUT ENOUGH SEALER AROUND THE HOLES HE CUT? OR WHAT IF THE GLASS CONDENSATES? (WHICH IT DOES AND WAS PROVEN BY DON ARONOW MANY YEARS AGO). IF ANY MOISTURE COMES IN CONTACT WITH WOOD, THATS IT, OVER TIME IT WILL ROT. WITH COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION THERE ARE NEVER ANY WORRYS ABOUT ROT, NEVER. AND THEN THE WEIGHT ISSUE ALONE SHOULD BE ENOUGH.

WE SPEND A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY TO BUILD THE BEST POSSIBLE BOAT WE CAN, AND ANY CUSTOMER WHO HAS RIDDEN IN IT IN ROUGH WATER WILL TELL YOU, IT'S ROCK SOLID!!!
WOULDN'T IT BE A LOT EASIER IF WE COULD JUMP IN THE TRUCK AND GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BUY A FEW SHEETS OF PLYWOOD?

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT STEVE AT ACTIVE THUNDER 954.782.1111.
MORE CAN BE READ ON OUR WEB SITE AS WELL.
THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Old 04-16-2002, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with JAFO, he made some excellent points. This thread to me has become uneducational, and has incurred other influences about what the original topic was about We are all going to stand up to what we think is right, thats human nature, the problem is that some times their appears to be some distorted facts which would influence someone else's decision, especially one who has never been on or driven either of these two fine boats. Facts are Facts, but little bits and pieces of information or not telling the whole story and skirting around the issues that were asked are also wrong. As far as I am concerned the rest is all hear say, or secord or third hand knowledge. Both boats are great , I have been on both, driven both, and would be also Damn proud to own a NEWER Cigarette. Like JAFO said, quite a few people do not have the opportunity to do what we all do, its an expensive, but self gratifying, relaxing, and fun sport, lets keep it that way, take care EVERYONE

Last edited by Jassman; 12-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This A/t - Top Gun comparo has gotten a ton of play and has made for some great reading .... but I think the 37 AT and the 37 Outerlimits is a closer comparison .... also... Whats the status of AT's 42 ???????

J.M.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all,

Just want to give everyone a heads up. There's a guy that worked for Powerplay and now works for AT. Well... he's a little angry... and he's also into computers. He goes under 4-6 different names on this board and he'll take shots anytime he can to give it back to Powerplay. He'll state he's from Pompono Beach or won't have anything location listed. So i would wonder if A/T knows about this??

zzie
Old 04-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Ozzie, how ya doin, heard you decided to have your motors redone, what are you pushin for HP now, it should be a fun year. Which guy are you speaking about, and do you remember his names, why is he so upset take care, hopefully see ya at some poker runs this year Jeff Jassby
Old 04-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Charter Member #1528

Originally posted by JASSMAN
I agree with JAFO, he made some excellent points. This thread to me has become uneducational, and has incurred other influences about what the original topic was about
Well, I guess I would be the blame for that...

but more important, I would be the blame for reconizing something I felt was wrong. A person taking advantage of the board and freedom of speech to infulence others in a negative way towards another.

HA!
I KNEW IT!!!

my instincts....are gooooood!!

listen to other opinions with a grain of salt.
Never know whats true and whats not, and or what the motive is!

Good luck to the AT & the PP boys !
Old 04-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeff,

Whats doing buddy? Well...there 's only one guy that just started with A/T. You mean to tell me you A/T's guys don't know who he is??? lol.. come on now. Things are good, had the motors at Richie Zuls for the dyno testing. On the final pull we did 845 lb-ft and 630 hp at 4,000 rpm's and 730 lb-ft and 835 hp's at 6,000 rpm's. The boost was set up 5 1/2 pounds. These new billet intercoolers from the Blower shop are beautiful!!

My IMCO's should be in today or tomorrow. I might be in the water this weekend, but I won't hold my breathe.

PS What poker runs are you considering?

zzie

Quick Reply: Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.