Notices

What would you do?

Old 04-11-2002, 06:36 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I guess that depends on your financial position. If the boat payment is just a drop in the bucket for you...keep it. If it was me...I'd dump it in a second. I'd keep making the payments after I sell the boat, only they'd go into an investment account for a couple of years. When the lake filled up again, I'd get a bigger boat with the money I saved . Between the monthly payments, insurance, marina fees (if any), depreciation, registration, boats are way to expensive to keep if they don't get used.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

No boating for two years? I'd rather go without sex for two years!

Seriously, you're not that far from the coast. Maybe you can find somewhere to stay on the weekends. Some of you fresh water guys talk like your boat is going to immediatly disintegrate if it touches salt water.

One more thing, if the government is involved in this project and they say two years, you never know what will happen. Maybe it won't happen at all? maybe it will be four years?

Good Luck
Dave M.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move to Florida !
Old 04-11-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt,

That totally sucks, Gov. job may not happen for a while may last longer than 2 years?? I know you just sunk $$ in you motors also. I know personally, we have a beach house in Wilmington so, if our lake dropped like that we would go other places and stay at the beach. I would say road trip it, see how that works and if not then sell.

Will
Old 04-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I look at a map of SC, and I see water everywhere. I would suggest taking the boat to a body of water that is a very nice place to boat, within a few hours of the house. Keep it in a boatel, or on the trailer in a secured lot; or make a friend, and keep it where they keep their boat. You will probably use the boat less, but you will cherish using it more. You could buy a beater to make the trip with, or suck up the miles on your regular vehicle. When they refill the lake, bring it back home, and it will be like another homecoming.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Registered

Curt,
Considering our situation this is an opportunity for our new LMPC to really shine. We should start taking our boats to the coast and other area lakes as a group. We should be able to continue to enjoy are favorite recreation.

You may want to consider taking your boat to Florida for the winter.

I’m more concerned with my property values than boating!

And remember you can't catch air like this on Lake Murray.
Attached Thumbnails What would you do?-osolpb.jpg  
Old 04-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Guys ya know what.............None of you seem to be hurting for money......I mean come on...look at your boats.....sheesh......

You have water everywhere.....but I would understand missing your favorite spots........especially when all your buddies are there........

But on the other hand......Florida is only a few hours away and you can see what those things can do in BIG water......and if you are afraid of the salt........My god did i just say that......then we have more lakes around here than you can count......

And Uh Um......let me remind you of the Glen and Dissapearing island..........Both of which will provide some new friends and scenery........you never know this could be good for you....
Old 04-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt, Look a this as a good thing. Think of all the new boaters you will meet taking your toy to new spots. Boating is a lifestyle, Go out and live it.

One More thing: You guys are afraid of 5.0 Earthquakes...Wussies!!!

Just Kidding
Old 04-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Registered

feel your pain,
my lake is drawn down every 3 years during the winter for weed control. this was the case this winter and now with the drought it is not filling back up, then for the stick in the @$$ they say they will drawn it down even more if the drought continues to supply NJ water for their reservoirs!! the local marina are up in arms!!!!
hang in there! send the state the towing bill, get with the business owners and put up a fuss!!!! plead hardship!!!

mattyboy
Old 04-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Curt,
That's really sucks! I think I would try to keep the boat and trailer it to other areas for a least a season, AT the same time I would be moniter the lake draw down situation very closely. And if it looked like it was going to take a lot longer than 2 years, then maybe sell the boat, or relocate? I feel for you brother, and I guess that is WORSE than having to idle for 9 miles!!
MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.