Notices

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

this is the intake adapter for some twin turbo engines we are building... it started out as a big block of aluminum and then i machined out an adapter to go from the throttle body size and bolt pattern to the intake size and bolt pattern. the fuel injectors will be inside the intake adapter, will make for a cleaner look on the outside of the engine.. with no fuel rail or injectors or wiring showing.. and the little piece is the fuel injector retainer that holds the injector to the adapter..

and yes that is a manual machine, and yes it took along time to make,,, right after i took one of these pics the big endmill I was using to take away big chunks of aluminum broke and caught the part and through it 30 feet past me.. good thing is it only put a little dent in an edge that was going to come off anyway..
Attached Thumbnails Mercury's Turbo Engines-aluminum.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-intake-addapter2.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-intake-addapter3.jpg  

Mercury's Turbo Engines-intake-addapter4.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-intake-addapter5.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Looks nice Tyson, but already got one.

Top center of the first pic. Uses a little K&N filter. I tried the brass, stone looking filters but they get clogged up with belt dust to easily.
we wont have any blower belt dust.. speaking of blower belt dust... have you ever used the blue silicone coated carbon blower belts... we put them in delos nortech and after he ran it it looked like someone killed papa smurf in the engine compartment with all the blue dust..
Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexx
Yes, in our turbine engines we indeed have tapered roller bearings and beveled gears running thousands of hours under max load @ 22,000 rpm. Our engines run horizontal in a hellacious vibratory environment and very high rotational inertia/gyroscopic effects. An these bearings are not small either.

Ball bearings for turbos....that is old news. I worked on magnetically levitated bearings 14 years ago to replace failing roller bearings.

I'm not BS'ing here. Aerospace techniques would revolutionize the marine industry. Just look at how the old (1960's design) t-53 lycoming push go-fast boats past the 200 mph mark with great reliability!

If you say it can't be done, then I'll know that you won't be doing it and will be the first to remind me if I ever take on the endevour.
I think maybe your not understanding what I am saying here. In a turbine there are no gears/shafts that run at 22k at 90degrees. You are comparing turbine that by design will run for long periods at 22k. That has nothing to do with a out drive or rotor motor. You also keep coming back to these guys that have ran a rotary in a small light boat. Those boys on the other side of the pond like there toys fast. don’t see any one else jumping aboard.

BTW- We are friendly with the GAS crew that did the swap. . They did this for fun not to be competitive or even market it. Think about that for a minute.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
this is the intake adapter for some twin turbo engines we are building... it started out as a big block of aluminum and then i machined out an adapter to go from the throttle body size and bolt pattern to the intake size and bolt pattern. the fuel injectors will be inside the intake adapter, will make for a cleaner look on the outside of the engine.. with no fuel rail or injectors or wiring showing.. and the little piece is the fuel injector retainer that holds the injector to the adapter..

and yes that is a manual machine, and yes it took along time to Good old vertical mill. that’s some real nice work you did there.part and through it 30 feet past me.. good thing is it only put a little dent in an edge that was going to come off anyway..
Good old vertical mill. that’s some real nice work you did there.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rexx
There is a tremendous science to bearings and gears. I've been involved with these details for many years in aerospace. Some drive transmissions I've worked have lasted over 20,000 hours in tightly optimized packages. Coatings and precision is everything in the world of longevity. I would be happy to share some wisdom. How about a coating that is 95 Rc hardness with coef. of friction at 0.09? Chrome is 70Rc and 0.2 coef. Friction. Chrome also likes to peel and Flake, especially at high temps. Gear cutting techniques like undercutting of the pitch diameter do worlds to reduce noise and heat. Some nicely ABEC classed bearings can handle very high loads at very fast rpms.

Regardless of the endless possibilities in refinement, Australian guy already ran a 900 hp triple, now he is setting up a Quad turbo rotor based on previous success. I'm sure he dealt with many naysayers along the way!
Wow so you think running a gear at that hardness will hold under the shock loads that a boat in water will provide. You are way of here. Gears any harder than in the 50s will brake like glass under shock loads. We have had to draw down some ring and pinions in the drag world cause they were to hard and would shatter. Now granted you reduce the long term life of the gear it will handle the shock.

Most coatings are over priced bs including the micro polishing (REM). They will provide heat control threw friction reduction but can not due much for strength. If we brake a tooth of a gear it the base there is no coating etc in the world that will help. The parent metal will need to change or size of the gear.

Are any of the gears made of something good such as a 300m metal? If not I could have my gear cutter whip some up. We have found for high load and or shock shafts/gears including steel connecting rods the 300m although not cheap is the best.

Here is my real ??? What type of failure do over revved and over powered drives suffer from?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats funny. No, I have not tried those belts. It wasn't blower belt dust, it was from the accessory V belts. It only took about a thimble full of dust to plug that little filter. That is why I got away from them. They are only about 1/2" diameter and about 3/4" long. They were just to small. They would actually starve the engine for air when they got just a little dirty. Just a heads up. I'm not sure what you were going to use for a filter...just don't use them.

By the way, nice work on the mill. Put up some shots when it is finished. i would love to see it.
Eddie
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
we wont have any blower belt dust.. speaking of blower belt dust... have you ever used the blue silicone coated carbon blower belts... we put them in delos nortech and after he ran it it looked like someone killed papa smurf in the engine compartment with all the blue dust..
rotflmao!!

We haven't tried the gates polychain carbon/blue belts.... But we started out using just a regular old polychain, and after probably 20 pulls on the dyno, there was dust coating everything on the front of the motor! We now run the gates powergrip gt 8mm with the RCD pullies and have never had an issue/failure with the huge loading and unloading of the PSI's when throttling. Still have some belt dust, but not like the polychains.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will we see catalytic converters on the 1300 in 2011 as per the EPA regs?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Gear teeth can't be hard, but the coating can be for enduring high contact stresses.

Yes, we do have bevel gears operating at 22k rpms. All of our gearboxes use the same methodology in the input modules (interface between turbine input and main rotor gearbox.

I'll jump off this thread regarding rotaries because it is deviating from the topic of mercury's turbo and we can go back and forth at infinitum. My hunch is we will see it whether it is me or someone else doing it.

I had these same discussions when I was told it wouldn't work for a jetski, completely different platform.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

saxman, have you tried Gates Kevlar belt. Those have a Teflon coating, but must use their special pulleys since the cog teeth have more of a geartooth profile...not straight cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.