Like Tree0Likes

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 AM
  #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pasadena, Md.
My Boats: Cafe Racer
Posts: 157
Default

Anyone have thoughts of turbos with Konrads ?
excalibur27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 AM
  #42
Registered
 
cougarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1986 Cougar US-1 46'
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
All though we never met.. but have talked on the phone a few times... I will second this.. no arogance in any of your posts.. and I apprieciate the knowledge that you bring to the board, especially on this topic.
For what it's worth, I had an opportunity to check some of these twin turbo Chief motors out at the 08 Jacksonville run. I can't remember the Gentlemen's name, nice older feller in a 43 NT cat pulled right next to me. These motors had a different sound all together, and were just as docile as my 700's, as he was docking next to me against the strong current. When he accelerated I was amazed how these motors pulled. Need less to say I was impressed with the package all the way around.

Jassman,

Thanks for the kind words and it's always been a pleasure talking with you also. In regards to these turbo's everyone has there thoughts on the subject etc.

I guess the fact that these are being built less the 10 minutes from me opens up allot of exposure on what they really are doing with these.

And that is what makes it so exciting to see power at these levels, and reliability to follow. Check 300 has had that turbo engine in his boat since 1997. It's to the point where not many people car to play any more cause every one know's
the boat most commonly from the transom view

But it's quiter than a merc 330 idles at 400 rpms and is a peach around the docks.


Take Care
Jon
cougarman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
  #43
Registered
 
birdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Batavia Oh.
My Boats: Top Gun
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300 View Post
I know my boat isn't consider to be a big boat, but it's not really that small either. It weighs about 6500 lbs. and although it has a #6 the prop is buried which means that we need to make good power at low rpms. The engine makes boost at under 1800 rpms. The throttle response is instantaneous with absolutely no lag.
I raced this boat a few years ago with my 871 blown Bullet
I jumped him just on plane thinking the turbo lag would get him...I was wrong...
birdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
  #44
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boats: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarman View Post
I'm not being arogant so please just take this for what it's worth. But a properly set up turbo engine will out accelerate a blower any day of the week,....including the whipples.

Dustin doesn't care for this conversation, but I think your going to see a slow switch over.

As stated earlier in this thread they are more $$ to set up and can look complex,........but you reap the benifit's with reliabilty etc.

Thanks
Jon
Wow thats a pretty arrogant statement!

Do you know how much a quad turbo engine is gonna cost from Merc? How about from an engine builder?

So turbos now reach full boost at 1700rpm? Or start to reach boost, meaning 1psi over barometric psi? Because 1psi and 15psi are pretty different power curves.

So your saying identical engines, identical intercoolers, identical air fuel, timing and boost and the turbo will out accelerate a twin-screw? Sorry, thats extremelly incorrect.

Turbo's make great HP because they take very little power to operate, but because they are dependent on exhaust flow, they can never equal throttle response in identical situations to an efficient positive displacement supercharger unless you introduce NOS or some other type of additive to get the turbo's to spool up quicker.

That does not mean they won't work, and that doesn't mean they have the lag of the old days, but turbos react off the engine, where a SC reacts off the throttle blades opening. No matter what, with today's technology, you can't get passed that. Its physics, can't defy those laws very often. Now what one refers to as lag may be different than the next. I drive a turbo diesel nearly every day, its got horrible lag, just awful, and thats with a lot of the new technology, and I've certainly tinkered with it plenty. When I get in our supercharged suburban, they're is zero comparison. If you say hey its got 1 psi at the hit of throttle and 1 second later, its 5psi, thats still "lag" when compared to a PD twin-screw. It may not be the lag of a single turbo, or a bad turbo system where you can count 1 missisipi, 2 missisipi before you finally get boost type lag, but in comparison, if you have less boost in an equal test, then thats lag.

Turbo's are extremely expensive and very complexed when done right. They're a packaging nightmare in many applications and with all the water jacketed headers absorbing such high heat from the high back psi and psi from the boosted side of the turbo, exhaust tend to go through more duty cycles than that of a PD supercharger. So turbo's are not free hp because they create tremendous back psi in the exhaust, this creates a lot of heat and that hot air is pushing the turbo impellers and it transfers that heat to the air charge exiting the turbos. But they're not dragging on the crankshaft so they'll almost always make more peak HP then positive displacement superchargers. Turbo's also can have small torque ranges, espeically with high HP engines which turn higher than average RPM, which is why you'll see Merc have 4 turbos, 2 small, 2 big, that helps the response time and helps give a better useable rpm range. Remember, what we all can do with custom built engines, Mercury has to "package" and warranty so it gets far more complexed. I think many will also be shocked to see what type of motor these are actually being installed on.

Last, turbo's in the automotive field are having major issues because they have a very negative effect on cold-start emissions, which is one of the biggest polluters of the cars today, before the cat's are lit off. This has posed a huge issue for turbo mfg' not to mention the fact that they can't get rid of the lag and the OE's target power numbers and OE's target price ranges. Many, such as Audi, VW, etc. have left turbos and went to PD style superchargers because OE's can't run 20psi of boost in most applications, so at 8-12psi, there is very little power differences, but there are huge torque differences.

So overall, turbo's are not gonna take over the world, they've been here and will continue, but they have some issues, just like all other power adders, and therefore they're will be customers who like one over another. Whether its useable rpm ranges, noise, peak hp or low end torque, price, packaging or whatever, there's a place for all of them.

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 12-19-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:24 PM
  #45
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boats: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
I have a turbo diesel super duty truck and the lag is terrible. I have a supercharged car and holy crap it hits hard and right now. I have never driven a turbo car I liked yet (owned 2) compared to a SC car. I agree turbos make great power but fail to see how you can overcome physics of a turbo needing air to move and create boost. There will be a lag, nothing said here will convince me otherwise. Slow switch over? I am not so sure.
Why is Mercury's Verado lineup supercharged not turbo? Those engines are very responsive and are not failing.
One good reason, couldn't fit 1 big and 1 small turbo in there, and all the water jacketed headers! Not to mention the smaller motors need even more help from PD's SC's because they don't generate much torque on they're own.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
  #46
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 43 Checkmate Punisher
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple Charged View Post
Wow thats a pretty arrogant statement!

Do you know how much a quad turbo engine is gonna cost from Merc? How about from an engine builder?

So turbos now reach full boost at 1700rpm? Or start to reach boost, meaning 1psi over ambient? Because 1psi and 15psi are pretty different power curves.

So your saying identical engines, identical intercoolers, identical air fuel, timing and boost and the turbo will out accelerate? Sorry, thats extremelly incorrect.

Turbo's make great HP because they take very little power to operate, but because they are dependent on exhaust flow, they can never equal throttle response in identical situations to an efficient positive displacement supercharger unless you introduce NOS or some other type of additive to get the turbo's to spool up quicker.

That does not mean they won't work, and that doesn't mean they have the lag of the old days, but turbos react off the engine, where a SC reacts off the throttle blades opening. No matter what, with today's technology, you can't get passed that. Its physics, can't defy those laws very often. Now what one refers to as lag may be different than the next. I drive a turbo diesel nearly every day, its got horrible lag, just awful, and thats with a lot of the new technology, and I've certainlyed tinkered with it plenty. When I get in our supercharged suburban, they're is zero comparison. If you say hey its got 1 psi at the hit of throttle and 1 second later, its 5psi, thats still "lag" when compared to a PD twin-screw. It may not be the lag of a single turbo, or a bad turbo system where you can count 1 missisipi, 2 missisipi before you finally get boost type lag, but in comparison, if you have less boost in an equal test, then thats lag.

Turbo's are extremely expensive and very complexed when done right. They're a packaging nightmare in many applications and with all the water jacketed headers absorbing such high heat from the high back psi and psi from the boosted side of the turbo, exhaust tend to go through more duty cycles than that of a PD supercharger. So turbo's are not free hp because they create tremendous back psi in the exhaust, this creates a lot of heat. But they're not dragging on the crankshaft so they'll almost always make more peak HP than positive displacement superchargers. Turbo's also can have small torque ranges, espeically with high HP engines, which is why you'll see Merc have 4 turbos, 2 small, 2 big, that helps the response time and helps give a better useable rpm range. Remember, what we all can do with custom built engines, Mercury has to "package" and warranty so it gets far more complexed. I think many will also be shocked to see what type of motor these are actually being installed on.

Last, turbo's in the automotive field are having major issues because they have a very negative effect on cold-start emissions, which is one of the biggest polluters of the cars today, before the cat's are lit off. This has posed a huge issue for turbo mfg' not to mention the fact that they can't get rid of the lag and the OE's target power numbers and OE's target price ranges. Many, such as Audi, VW, etc. have left turbos and went to PD style superchargers because OE's can't run 20psi of boost in most applications, so at 8-12psi, there is very little power differences, but there are huge torque differences.
Of course we don't make full boost at 1700 rpms but then neither does a pd sc. We do make full boost at 3000 rpms and the response from throttle application to 24lbs of boost is not more than 1 sec. Does your pd sc reach full boost at 3000rpms? Small torque range? Our engine is over 1000 ft lbs from 2200 rpms on up.
check300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  #47
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boats: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300 View Post
Of course we don't make full boost at 1700 rpms but then neither does a pd sc. We do make full boost at 3000 rpms and the response from throttle application to 24lbs of boost is not more than 1 sec. Does your pd sc reach full boost at 3000rpms? Small torque range? Our engine is over 1000 ft lbs from 2200 rpms on up.
Yes, they actually do, the only time they "build-up" more boost is when cams fall off. Most engines have a 2psi swing from 1500rpm to 6000rpm when cammed properly. 1000ft lbs on a motor that makes 24psi peak is actually quite low. Make 1000lbs @ 2200 on an engine that makes 10psi peak because thats what a twin screw does. If you run 24psi, your in mid rpm range, and sorry, 24psi is not in any production engine realm for gasoline. Put a twin screw at 24psi and see what torque it makes at 2200rpm. That would be if you could actually hold it there with that amount of torque, because it would have 22-23psi right there.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
  #48
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
oceanoutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 384
Default

As Dustin stated, You may be surprised what motors Mercury has installing these turbos on. Mecury has been doing R&D on some motors for the last 6 years and they weren't on BBC's
oceanoutlaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM
  #49
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis Md
My Boats: 04 donzi zrc,06 donzi zfo
Posts: 678
Default

Every thing i have driven with a turbo suffers from lag,diesel truck big time,honda jet ski some ,wrx some,old gale banks bb big time,now i am sure the new modern ones much better and having 4 could work good,but would be very expensive and hard to work on,the twin screw blowers work great on boats have awesome throttle response and working on the engine is easy.
MDGperformance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
  #50
Registered
 
H2Xmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: beaumont tx
My Boats: 1997 Fountain 35 Lightning
Posts: 1,703
Default

you can set up a turbo system with a variable vane turbo, or turbo's, use a wastegate and a bypass valve, that will cut down a lot on lag cause the bypass valve will recirc the boost back to the intake side keeping the turbo spooled up at lower eng. speeds. check out some of the wild twin turbo setups on the 10.5 outlaw class at a dragstrip,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkzVs...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WFpQ...eature=related

Last edited by H2Xmark; 12-19-2009 at 07:02 PM.
H2Xmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.