Like Tree0Likes

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Reply
Old 12-20-2009, 05:12 AM
  #61
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I guess volvo had it figured it out years ago on there deisels have the motors boost on screw blowers on bottom end let the turbo kit in the mid and top,cut the screw blower off up top have the best of both worlds


Sounds like a great solution what vehicles did they do that on?
And some italians used that already in the 1920īs...
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
  #62
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
LV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK
My Boats: 35 Maxum// 36 SKATER
Posts: 1,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarman View Post
LV,

Who's building the Turbo Engines ? And who's two speed is going in the boat? There is two or three manufactures of the two speed now.


Thanks
Jon
Brad and Tyson at Smith Power.
LV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 AM
  #63
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
My Boats: 32 SeaCraft
Posts: 1,381
Default

Can someone post a drawing of how these "new" style turbo's work (not variable but whatever this new stuff is) that you guys make reference to? I'd like to see all this "new" plumbing so the turbo stays spooled up when you let off the gas?

I've written on here a few times about how we had to throttle the diesel boats as you say "in the old days" and it was hard.

So, I'd like to see this new technology and how it's different because I can't for the life of me understand it by just the words that are being used such as "it's different", or "not how it used to be"

Thank you, I would appreciate the visuals!
HabanaJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM
  #64
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis Md
My Boats: 04 donzi zrc,06 donzi zfo
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I guess volvo had it figured it out years ago on there deisels have the motors boost on screw blowers on bottom end let the turbo kit in the mid and top,cut the screw blower off up top have the best of both worlds


Sounds like a great solution what vehicles did they do that on?
The tamd 60-70 series engines back in the mid 80,i use to work for a vovlo dealer back then and we installed a lot of them in sportfish boats,the blower would get the boat on plane and then the turbo would take over,as far as throttle response don't know never jumped a sportfihing machine
MDGperformance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM
  #65
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Michigan
My Boats: 1998 Awesome 31 Thundercat
Posts: 1,333
Default

With new technology brings more new technology. Controlling Heat you ask? Look at what these guys have been doing for the performance and racing industry.
http://swaintech.com/

Have used their services for years--------and it works.
ROTAX454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 AM
  #66
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 3,870
Default

A little off topic, if a Dyno can't hold power below 3,000 rpm's, how do they dyno Diesels?
Wildman_grafix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
  #67
Registered
 
H2Xmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: beaumont tx
My Boats: 1997 Fountain 35 Lightning
Posts: 1,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmith View Post
And to add to that. When you are "wave hopping" or whatever you want to call it, I'll call it rough water boating. While you are out of the sticks you are not all the way to an idle. Not even near it. That engine is still wound up. Your engine will still be making boost in very quick order once the gas is back on.
The technology is WAY better than what it was 15 years ago. I think we all agree on that. What we will all argue about is which is better.
Well.......Ford or Chevy.
Better, who knows, its always a give or take thing, i still love the look of the big supercharger though, and the blower/belt noise.
H2Xmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 AM
  #68
Registered
 
H2Xmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: beaumont tx
My Boats: 1997 Fountain 35 Lightning
Posts: 1,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
All though we never met.. but have talked on the phone a few times... I will second this.. no arogance in any of your posts.. and I apprieciate the knowledge that you bring to the board, especially on this topic.
For what it's worth, I had an opportunity to check some of these twin turbo Chief motors out at the 08 Jacksonville run. I can't remember the Gentlemen's name, nice older feller in a 43 NT cat pulled right next to me. These motors had a different sound all together, and were just as docile as my 700's, as he was docking next to me against the strong current. When he accelerated I was amazed how these motors pulled. Need less to say I was impressed with the package all the way around.
The name of the boat is Footloose, has a pair of Tommy's twin turbo engines in it, he has had the boat on several runs and has never had any trouble with it.
H2Xmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
  #69
Registered
 
Brad Zastrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: McHenry, Illinois
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmith View Post
And to add to that. When you are "wave hopping" or whatever you want to call it, I'll call it rough water boating. While you are out of the sticks you are not all the way to an idle. Not even near it. That engine is still wound up. Your engine will still be making boost in very quick order once the gas is back on.
The technology is WAY better than what it was 15 years ago. I think we all agree on that. What we will all argue about is which is better.
Well.......Ford or Chevy.
In a cat or fast v-hull the rpms in rough condition will be under 4000 rpm or about 100 mph for me. When in the air the engines go to 2000 or less rpm. My Roots blower has full boost with a flick of the throttle. There are times I can count to three before we re-enter the water. No way a turbo can do that. All these car guys come on here talking about 24 lbs of boost and race setups. Cars have the luxury of spooling up the engine and dumping the clutch and having many gears to pick from to stay in the boost. Boats run 5-12 lbs of boost. At 2000 rpm I am running 45 mph with almost no throttle (no load) and a turbo will have very little boost in a boat application at that speed. I had Vortech blowers and hated them for the same reason, no boost down low.
Brad Zastrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
  #70
Registered
 
JasonSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
In a cat or fast v-hull the rpms in rough condition will be under 4000 rpm or about 100 mph for me. When in the air the engines go to 2000 or less rpm. My Roots blower has full boost with a flick of the throttle. There are times I can count to three before we re-enter the water. No way a turbo can do that. All these car guys come on here talking about 24 lbs of boost and race setups. Cars have the luxury of spooling up the engine and dumping the clutch and having many gears to pick from to stay in the boost. Boats run 5-12 lbs of boost. At 2000 rpm I am running 45 mph with almost no throttle (no load) and a turbo will have very little boost in a boat application at that speed. I had Vortech blowers and hated them for the same reason, no boost down low.
That is pretty rough water.
I have Whipples on my setup & I think it still is a matter of preference.
Tyson (Big Yellow Cat) is one to talk with about turboed engines in a boat. He has/had a pair of 1800+ HP quad turboed 572's in his Apache cat. I think they were quad turboed anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TysonGar...39/p4mYHGLAXY0
JasonSmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.