Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222619-63-bertram-possibly-stuffed-off-sc.html)

Scarab Billy 01-22-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by spk1 (Post 3029195)
Im not sure if its been said yet, but I keep trying to figure the transom and shaft housing damage, and my best guess is that after the boat stuffed and sank, and Im thinking the original damage was probably not quite as catastrophic as the later pictures show, still a manufacturing defect for sure, but Id be almost certain that after the distress calls were sent out, a few salvage hunters, found the wreckage, and tryed to move it deliberately so they could take their time in the dismantle of a 1.8mm yachts equipment, The only real way I see that shaft housing and transom ripping off like that is from a tow vessel pulling the hell out of it.

I am no expert either...but I read what Bertrams spokesperson said about the sinking and the storms right after and wonder...if storms moved the boat, then did all the damage showing now...wouldn't the boat be full of sediment? If the water was moving enough at that depth to move that heavy boat I would think all of the horizontal surfaces would be full of sand and sediment. just my 2cts

Scarab Billy 01-22-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy (Post 3029256)
I am no expert either...but I read what Bertrams spokesperson said about the sinking and the storms right after and wonder...if storms moved the boat, then did all the damage showing now...wouldn't the boat be full of sediment? If the water was moving enough at that depth to move that heavy boat I would think all of the horizontal surfaces would be full of sand and sediment. just my 2cts

My other thought is...what would you use to try and drag a large and heavy boat like this along the bottom, like has been suggested? A profesional tug? maybe..but someone would know about it. It would also leave a deep trail in the bottom I would think. The horsepower to try that would have to be substantial. I just don't see it but hey..i'm sure someone has tried it. just sayin

Steve 1 01-22-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy (Post 3029262)
My other thought is...what would you use to try and drag a large and heavy boat like this along the bottom, like has been suggested? A profesional tug? maybe..but someone would know about it. It would also leave a deep trail in the bottom I would think. The horsepower to try that would have to be substantial. I just don't see it but hey..i'm sure someone has tried it. just sayin

They would lift it with bags then tow it in.

Scarab Billy 01-22-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 3029339)
They would lift it with bags then tow it in.

Lift bags I understand...I have done that myself. They are suggesting someone has tried to pull the boat underwater and caused most of the current damage.......

wjb21ndtown 01-22-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy (Post 3029410)
Lift bags I understand...I have done that myself. They are suggesting someone has tried to pull the boat underwater and caused most of the current damage.......

I agree... Anyone that knows anything about boating, water, and weight (i.e. anyone with the capabilities to go down there in dive suits and hook up cables to the thing) would know before hand you simply can't tow a boat that is underwater.

I think a more reasonable explanation is that the transom blew out due to water rushing from the bow to the stern (either above water or below water), and that the rudder bent when the boat hit the bottom. As others have posted this wasn't a typical transom that we see in our offshore style boats where the thrust comes from the transom. The transoms on the sportfish type of vessels are much weaker.

Steve 1 01-22-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy (Post 3029410)

Could have been from looking at the running gear.

rchevelle71 01-22-2010 01:41 PM

20 pages:eek:

Is this an APACHE thread???:party-smiley-004:

Steve 1 01-22-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71 (Post 3029517)
20 pages:eek:

Is this an APACHE thread???:party-smiley-004:

LOL I hope not!

frankenstein 01-22-2010 10:58 PM

After all the stuff I have read, I have to agree with scarab bill, somebody was probably being to aggressive with a boat that wasn't theirs and lost it. OOOPPPPSSSS. It happens, own up to it, and help a company save face. The best of the best go down sometimes, that doesn't mean the boat wasn't any good

phragle 01-23-2010 01:23 AM

Who has a Bertram Jacket??