So Why Don't Big Cats Have Tabs???? >

So Why Don't Big Cats Have Tabs????

Notices

So Why Don't Big Cats Have Tabs????

Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
We have a tunnel tab on Stylin and use that when its really rough, but sponson tabs no
Really? Isnt Stylin an older Skater? I was always under the impression that using tab in rough water in a true tunnel is a big no no. The tunnel tab trips and causes the boat to stuff...atleast that was my understanding.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamboater
Really? Isnt Stylin an older Skater? I was always under the impression that using tab in rough water in a true tunnel is a big no no. The tunnel tab trips and causes the boat to stuff...atleast that was my understanding.
The original Stylin was a trip 2.5 32. The new one is a 36 Spectre (check my sig link) with 900s and 6s. The tunnel tab is great, run it down just a touch and it keeps the front end down nice n flat. We also have a ballast tank to fight the "hop" tucking the drives in can cause in the ass end.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dreamboater you are correct ...In the ruff stuff keep that tunnle tab UP...UP and up...wil catch and bow steer or stuff a boat... Saw it one time in flat too..guy hit a boat wake down the center and wrecked right in front of us. This was during racing...weve had some close calls...but my throttle guy saved us...

if you go for Sunday afternoon blast with friends in some snotty stuff, dont be afraid to stuff 100-200 lbs up front in the nose, you will be amazed the difference in the handling
of the boat

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 01-28-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh cool, so now i see its kind of a personal preference, and yes some big cats have tabs!! thanks for the info and pics. Man those are some sweet rides!!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by byrideroffshore
Dreamboater you are correct ...In the ruff stuff keep that tunnle tab UP...UP and up...wil catch and bow steer or stuff a boat... Saw it one time in flat too..guy hit a boat wake down the center and wrecked right in front of us. This was during racing...weve had some close calls...but my throttle guy saved us...
I've been told that so much i disabled our tunnel tab in the UP position...

Attached Thumbnails So Why Don't Big Cats Have Tabs????-tab.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

...dont be afraid to stuff 100-200 lbs up front in the nose, you will be amazed the difference in the handling of the boat
I will try that we have made functional the ballast tank with dump pumps on DOI.

Here is a picture of the hose that picks up the water from the machined tab. The tab was machined that way when we got it.

Attached Thumbnails So Why Don't Big Cats Have Tabs????-mti_pick-up.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

GLH , I love that boat. Talked to JT many times about that boat. Glad someone bought it. Looks like its in great shape. If you fill that tank up in some 4-5's it will fly pretty cool. What power is in it?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GLH , I love that boat. Talked to JT many times about that boat. Glad someone bought it. Looks like its in great shape. If you fill that tank up in some 4-5's it will fly pretty cool. What power is in it?
Thank Yo very much for the compliment.

We have a set of 900's...

...and a set of 1100's with which we are having minor growing pains, nothing out of the ordinary considering everything...

We also have an ATECO short bock 572ci to throw in fast when a mill decides to burp!

The boat rides like a dream, it was pretty bare when we got it and we are taking care of all the hardware and making it run well. The paint and esthetics up close are starting to show the age and ware but we will refresh all that in due time. We were more concerned on getting it running safe, steady and fast. Besides cruising at 105 mph at 4100 rpm the paint looks fine!

Here it is running in the background on the Hudson in Oct...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9YHulMUfw[/YOUTUBE]

We had fun doing Poker Runs this summer, but now we are looking more at some long point to point runs, sort of like the Miami-Bimini and Back run in June (Aquamania took care of anything record breaking there!)and some stuff like Miami-Palm Beach or maybe Miami-Key West (which I do not know a time for). Maybe even NY-Miami ( http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3003866 ), yahhh know stuff like that to have fun!

Thanks for asking I enjoy watching you guys race.