Notices

Ol On Tv Tonight

Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORONE
Have you ever been in a big ol in big water?
i know the boat will run that speed with a very expericend driver in that type of water but it Will Not be comfy to drive in . let alone be safe to drive in , that's all i am trying to say .
they make a great boat one of the best but he was a litle misleading, i think as far as anyone can run the boat in 8 to 10's @ 100mph and be comfy is a bold statment .

mike
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

While an Outerlimits is an outstanding V-Bottom I truly think that running 8-10's at over 100mph is a far fetched statement. It definitely easy to say one thing and then totally different in many situations to actually prove it. You might be stoned and think the speedo said 100mph and u might have only been in 6's. It is a great boat but that statement was very far fetched.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm one of the few on here that can and has backed up what the say....you are probably right they were 2 ft
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

First off it's a TV show and listen to Bill, he's been there and done that!!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikebrls
that is what im talking about .
i know alot of these lake guy's think 3 to 4 footer'a are 8 to 10's but like you said . think of going a 100mph into a wave that is the size of a single story on a house . i know you can do it but it wont be comfortable if anything you will be holding on for your life .
i just couldnt believe that ol would make a statement like that .
now you will see some dumb rich guy by one of these boat and try it because thats what he herd on the tv . then we will see him on tv very hurt if not dead .
You need to boat on Lake Michigan if you think that we are Lake boaters that think 3 to 4s are 8 footers. 3 to 4s are a calm day on Lake Michigan. I have ridden in a 47 GTX on Lake Michigan in some of the nastiest 6 to 8 foot waves at 100mph. It did not matter what direction you ran across the waves that Big V just ate it up. Not hard to believe Gatorone at all as he has been on Lake Michigan and knows what rough water is all about.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10' waves (real) at 100mph... is this true...?

if so you guys have gonzalies the size of coconuts..
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I don't doubt for one min. he has gone faster then I ever will. My statement is just that most people do not know how to measure a wave. There are a ton of ways to do it but I was on one of my customers boats (78 foot sport fish) and we were in what we called 8 foot and I was not sure the boat was not going to break apart.

This is a good example of different ways to measure waves (cresting not swells) and you can see that if you are in Hawaii they are serious about thier waves.

http://www.yosurfer.com/content/mete..._wave_size.htm

This is a very cool site that you can check wave heights around the world. Click on the maps and see how very few places around the world have 10 foot high or more wave heights. Then look at what is going on in that area and see you or any sane person would be boating in that.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/
Look at what they are calling 10 foot on that site, and I say NO WAY can anything run in that water Now I realize that this is the break of the wave, but heck 10 feet is 10 feet. Even if you could run 100 in that, why would you?? More $$ than brains comes to mind
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Look at what they are calling 10 foot on that site, and I say NO WAY can anything run in that water Now I realize that this is the break of the wave, but heck 10 feet is 10 feet. Even if you could run 100 in that, why would you?? More $$ than brains comes to mind
Well you have the wave measurement that is the cresting wave, and the swell measurement that is a non breaking wave ussually "offshore". Then there are the wave cycles and and and. There is a TON that goes into it. I have been out in 15-20 foot swells running wide open. It was the same as driving up and down mountains in your car. They were smooth as glass and spaced WAY apart. It was actually one of the coolest days of boating I have ever had. You would drop down to the bottom of the swells and you had no idea what was around you, just these monster waves. I don't think that is what they are talking about in this case however.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Well you have the wave measurement that is the cresting wave, and the swell measurement that is a non breaking wave ussually "offshore". Then there are the wave cycles and and and. There is a TON that goes into it. I have been out in 15-20 foot swells running wide open. It was the same as driving up and down mountains in your car. They were smooth as glass and spaced WAY apart. It was actually one of the coolest days of boating I have ever had. You would drop down to the bottom of the swells and you had no idea what was around you, just these monster waves. I don't think that is what they are talking about in this case however.
YES,

Swells are different, spaced that way. I am honestly a chicken chit when it comes to the ruff, I run the pantera inside more than outside, and honestly dont like to run in more than 3 feet of slop, its fun for about 15 minutes, but our inlets are further apart than that. Late last fall, my wife gave me a bunch of crap for always going boating with friends, and leaving her home(its really her own fault because she cant dedicate a whole day to running around, or just hangin at peanut), She really could care less about the boating, but gets pizzed when I call her from the bar/restaurant. So one sunday when my normal boating buddies were taking the week off, I took her out Boca inlet, and started to run south to Hillsboro to take her to the Cove for lunch. There were some nice swells, but no slop, and nowhere near 10 feet, probably more like 6, was pretty neat, because as light as my boat is, I usually throttle quite a bit in the slop, but that day it was WOT to top, then throttle back just enough to stay in/near the water, and ride down the hill If that is what they are referring to as 10 footers, then I can agree on 100MPH, since due to the size and construction of the OL, I wouldnt be afraid to get a little air off the backside of something like that, but when it comes to the everyday slop we are used to, 10 foot at 100?? I would have to see the video to believe it. Also, there may be a few drivers/throttleman out there that can pull it off, but I certaily wouldnt suggest doing it on a regular basis, or making a potential customer believe that its all in the boat, maybe the boat can survive it when run by the right crew, but one too many missed throttles by an unexperienced person, and we will be hearing about it on the news.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Cool

Saying it was 10ft and really being 6ft are to totally different things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.