I'm confused....

What is this thread about?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I'm confused....

What is this thread about?
PBM doing an article on the history of Schwartzcraft. Should be a hefty edition.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
No Mat, I am not a frustrated writer .... I am a frustrated reader. I know what Powerboat was in the past and what a shallow reflection it is now. Used to be that I couldn't wait to get in the house to start reading it. Heck, years ago I would buy it at the news stand even though I subscribed and mine hadn't arrived yet.

After Bob Nordskog passed away the mag IMO started down hill and has never recovered. I kept hoping things would change and renewed my subscription a few times but then ended up wishing I hadn't. Oddly enough I always seemed to come back and send in my money and re-subscribe. However it will likely be a cold day in hell before I do it now!

As far as being shrill .... look to your own post. As a professional writer maybe you had better learn to take criticism a little better. It might help your career as a frustrated writer.
Padraig,

1. You don't offer critique. You make generalizations. Think the boat tests were "harder hitting" back in the day. The overwhelming majority of them were overwhelmingly positive—not unlike they are today. Go back and read. I've done my homework. Do yours. Then get back to me.

2. I have taken what you call "criticism" from you again and again on this forum. Re-read some of your posts and my responses to them. I have been gracious. But frankly, I'm sick of taking of your crap. And won't.

3. My career as a "frustrated writer" is just fine, thanks. In fact, I feel really lucky for all the good fortune I've had. Sure, a lot of it is hard work but without a little luck here and there nothing happens.

4. My post wasn't shrill. My post started with a little humor, then got to the point. Grab a dictionary and look up "shrill." And then review your posts like the one in the last thread, when you wrote about the person calling you to ask you to renew your subscription and you telling that person you thought the magazine would be "out of business" in a year. (Allow me to correct myself, "shrill" is the wrong word for you. I think "bitter" is more apt.)

5. Were you really thinking of "renewing your subscription?" Wow, the flies in the face of everything you've posted on this forum (see No. 4 to refresh your memory)—ever. A little disingenuous, don't you think?

6. Last, my name is Matt, not "Mat." Solid "critique" starts with getting the most basic facts straight. I'm just fine with solid critique, but again, that's not what you do.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 02-18-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
No Mat, I am not a frustrated writer .... I am a frustrated reader. I know what Powerboat was in the past and what a shallow reflection it is now. Used to be that I couldn't wait to get in the house to start reading it. Heck, years ago I would buy it at the news stand even though I subscribed and mine hadn't arrived yet.

After Bob Nordskog passed away the mag IMO started down hill and has never recovered. I kept hoping things would change and renewed my subscription a few times but then ended up wishing I hadn't. Oddly enough I always seemed to come back and send in my money and re-subscribe. However it will likely be a cold day in hell before I do it now!

As far as being shrill .... look to your own post. As a professional writer maybe you had better learn to take criticism a little better. It might help your career as a frustrated writer.
I've been a subscriber for 10 years. PBM is better today than it was 10 years ago. The reduced content is a direct reflection of the state of the industry. Not sure what more you expect out of a print medium at this point in time. Please elaborate.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've been a subscriber for 10 years. PBM is better today than it was 10 years ago. The reduced content is a direct reflection of the state of the industry. Not sure what more you expect out of a print medium at this point in time. Please elaborate.
That was my inquiry...I would like to know what he does not like in comparison to the past (say 10+ years ago). Just solely based on the cover pages (which you can now review online at powerboat magazines website), you can CLEARLY see the content, photography and writing has improved leaps and bounds over years past. So what exactly is the complaint? The staff of PBM are always open to constructive criticism. That of course would consist of a problem and a solution. Not just a complaint for the sake of a complaint.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Padraig,

1. You don't offer critique. You make generalizations. Think the boat tests were "harder hitting" back in the day. The overwhelming majority of them were overwhelmingly positive—not unlike they are today. Go back and read. I've done my homework. Do yours. Then get back to me.

2. I have taken what you call "criticism" from you again and again on this forum. Re-read some of your posts and my responses to them. I have been gracious. But frankly, I'm sick of taking of your crap. And won't.

I don't believe I have ever criticized you personally. I have criticized the mag but unless you are the publisher or editor I don't know why you feel that I have been giving YOU crap. Are you in charge or content etc? You are the one who made this personal and attacked me.

[3. My career as a "frustrated writer" is just fine, thanks. In fact, I feel really lucky for all the good fortune I've had. Sure, a lot of it is hard work but without a little luck here and there nothing happens.

Believe it or not, I am happy for you. I also wish the PBM success. I hate to see any business fail and I hate to see people out of work

4. My post wasn't shrill. My post started with a little humor, then got to the point. Grab a dictionary and look up "shrill." And then review your posts like the one in the last thread, when you wrote about the person calling you to ask you to renew your subscription and you telling that person you thought the magazine would be "out of business" in a year. (Allow me to correct myself, "shrill" is the wrong word for you. I think "bitter" is more apt.)

I am not bitter. If i came off that way, sorry. My writing skills could be better. I thought frustrated expressed my feelings. I do think there is a strong possibility PBM will be out, I sincerely hope they are not but that is my opinion and maybe it will be wake up call. As has been mentioned it is a tough time for all magazines. The economy is tough and they are competing with free Internet content. The ones that survive (IMO) will be the ones who innovate, think outside the box and give people what they can't get on line.

5. Were you really thinking of "renewing your subscription?" Wow, the flies in the face of everything you've posted on this forum (see No. 4 to refresh your memory)—ever. A little disingenuous, don't you think?

I am not the best writer but I also am not sure of your reading comprehension. I never said I was thinking of renewing! What i did say, "Oddly enough I always seemed to come back and send in my money and re-subscribe" I believe that is past tense. Your attack of me personally is what makes it unlikely I will ever re-subscribe. I was a customer, on and off for many years as a writer you could have, IMO, handled it better.

6. Last, my name is Matt, not "Mat." Solid "critique" starts with getting the most basic facts straight. I'm just fine with solid critique, but again, that's not what you do.
Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly. Now I am done, Matt I wish you and PBM the best.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe PBM can do an article about this thread.....

They could juxtapose details on propeller tuning with random statements by Sean Penn in Venezuela........

" I find that increasing rake not only advances Marxist theory, but the denser roostertail calms the workers." said Penn. "I also notice that the bow lift is almost a salute at speed, we must always acknowledge that as we struggle against imperialist oppression." Chavez added.

While this may seem senseless to some readers..... Keith Olberman will probably pick up segments of the story and run with it on MSNBC.

As I always say:..... One must accept needless changes as the inevitable penalty of compromise.

If anybody can fathom what the h*ll I'm talking about, feel free to visit me between 3 and 5 PM on Sundays at the sanitarium.

Yours in literary frustration, I remain............

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 02-18-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How fooking stupid one would have to be to not realize the fuel for magazines is ad bucks, then subscriptions. Writers feed on these bucks. An equivalent would be "Floggings will continue until morale improves".........
Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
How fooking stupid one would have to be to not realize the fuel for magazines is ad bucks, then subscriptions. Writers feed on these bucks. An equivalent would be "Floggings will continue until morale improves".........
My understanding is that ad bucks were placed on the endangered species list in January of 2009.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Brownie is correct: I feed on bucks.

As for "The flogging will continue until morale improves," I counter with, "No good deed shall go unpunished."

Last, to Padraig: I have "handled it better" long enough by either remaining silent or responding graciously (i.e. defending your right to your opinion) every time you dish on the magazine. Did it get personal? Well, the word you have consistently used in regard to Powerboat's content is "mediocre," and since I have written much of it (and yes I help guide and plan the magazine's content) since Eric Colby (whom we both agree is a good writer) left I find that mildly personal.

And yet I never responded to that. Not once. So why did I respond to yet another generic, knee-jerk condemnation of the magazine by you? Well, like you, my friend, I have a limited supply of patience. Got me on the wrong day, I guess. But for those of you who are interested (or bored) enough to research the threads on this form, you can see I have "handled it better" with you many, many times.

I'm done.

You are right about one thing though: You didn't say you were thinking about re-subscribing. I misread what you wrote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.