Notices

a little help please

Old 04-20-2002, 09:25 PM
loosecannon22

Default a little help please

Today I got sick of that whimpy gen 5 310 hp 454 and put on square port heads, a new cam and lifters, intake and carb. When I went to put the timing chain on the new cam, it didnt fit the front of the cam was different, it was a roller cam. so I went out and bought a double roller timing kit and put it on. everything went well and I fired it up. perfect, no oil leaks, valves are adjusted perfectly but there is a grinding noise coming from the front. It seems that the cam gear or maybe the crank gear is hitting the timing chain cover or the chain, it doesnt matter. Is it possible that this combo wont work or do i just have to get the crank gear on further? I thought it was in all the way, but maybe not? It has that new style aluminum cover with the different bolt pattern then the old ones. anyone ever heard of this?

Old 04-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

With a roller cam you have to use a cam button on the front of the cam gear to stop it from walking forward into the cover. The cam button has to be adjusted so that there is the right amount of play. Also check your lifters you may have damaged them when the cam walked forward. This may have allowed the lifters to hit the lobe from the next one back. NOT GOOD. Regular cams are ground at a slight angle and the lifters are cut with a slight crown and they hit off center so that they rotate. This angle cut is toward the back so that is what keeps the cam back in the block. A roller cam is ground paralell to the axis and so are the lifters - so their isn't anything to hold the cam back in the block.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 04-20-2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:12 PM
loosecannon22

no no, it was a roller cam, now it is just a hydraulic.

Old 04-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I was thinking cam button too. Now, I wonder if the extra thick chain could be dragging on the cover. You should have some tell tale rub marks on the inside of the cover. Pull it off and take a look. If the crank gear appears to be too far forward, take a block of metal and set it on the cam gear. The cam gear should align with the crank gear.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:44 PM
loosecannon22

yeah, I have to pull it apart tomorrow, I gave up for the day I was tired and a bit depressed at the time. The problem is I dont think I can get the balancer off in the boat and I have to pull the engine out again, well at least I have it down to a 45 minuet job. I am going to try to get the puller down there but it doesnt look good. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the chain would rub that cover, or, if they have put a double in and had no problems and it is something else. I guess tomorrow will tell. and I really wanted to go for a ride with the new stuff.

Old 04-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no problem with a double roller on any of mine. You may have put the crank gear on backwards or there may have been something on the crank that didn't allow it to seat properly.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:49 PM
loosecannon22

Well guys thanks for all the insight. heres what I did.
I went to the boat, and started it up, the noise was there for a second or two and then went away. hmmmm
I pulled off the filter and cut it. small amounts of aluminium. put on a new filter and ran it at 1500 to break in the cam. after about a half an hour I yanked off the filter and cut it, no metal.

I then ran it for an hour at 1200 rpm, ass end pointed into the hangar while i cleaned up the shop and drank beer listening to how cool that new cam sounds! pulled off that filter and cut it, no metal. now I am perplexed. should I just change the oil and run it, I mean the noise was only there for about 1.5 minutes of run time max!! and it got quieter the longer I ran it, or should I yank the engine out agian just to find out that the chain just rubbed the cover. either way, its finished rubbing the cover. I know it was the chain because thats the only aluminum part that was removed and reinstalled.
I think the filter got it all. the next filter was clean. poker run friday, boat races saturday and sunday. hmmmmmmmmmm
oh yeah, I know that I didnt put the gear on backwards, because if I did, I would not of been able to align the dots on the two gears, but thanks for the insight.

Old 04-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Cool

What I want to know is - You were looking for more HP and you changed from a roller cam to a flat tappet. You gave up 35 to 50 HP - Why didn't you just put in a bigger roller cam?
Old 04-21-2002, 07:08 PM
loosecannon22

I didnt know it was a roller until I pulled the lifters out. do you realy think they are worth 50 hp? I have tried different cams in my hot rod and have never seen 40 -50 hp gain out of a roller. might of got 10 or so but hey, I know a car engine is different. I just dont think that much. anyone have any numbers?

Old 04-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Registered

Cool

50 HP on a fully tweeked engine -- You probably would have been on the 35 HP side with the right cam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.