Like Tree0Likes

advice on first go fast boat

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by berfbong View Post
I found an 02 29ft wellcraft with 148hrs on twin 350 for 34k. I like the look of the boat but is under powered. Because the other two Choices are the 28 pantera and a 28zx donzi. Any thoughts?
Not underpowered at all.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Not underpowered at all.
Agreed, a twin SB 29 would not be underpowered and with a few dollars in heads and intake could likely be a screamer providing the base blocks and rotating assemblies are in decent shape and it has bravos.

a Major reason to consider the Pantera over the other 2 is the custom nature of the builds from the beginning are very stout and the relationship you can forge with the Nunez family vs being just a hull # at the other 2 places.

The guys that built the Donzi or the Scarab arent likely to even be around anymore.

Good luck!

UD
Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Registered

My Boats: 24 Pantera

I too am a new boater looking to buy my first boat.. I like what I see/hear with Pantera!! But I'm gonna stick with a 24' not a balla quite yet and the waters are a lot calmer in the Destin sound. Plus I only have two weel drive and I'm not sure my truck can pull a 28' out of the water.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

A very nice 28 Cig just poped up for sale.....Ask Thrillseeker if a 28 Cig can run with the big boys on Erie !
Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 35 w/500 EFI's, 1973 Donzi X-18 w/383 Mag,1974 Chris Craft Roamer w/1271TI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Agreed, a twin SB 29 would not be underpowered and with a few dollars in heads and intake could likely be a screamer providing the base blocks and rotating assemblies are in decent shape and it has bravos.

a Major reason to consider the Pantera over the other 2 is the custom nature of the builds from the beginning are very stout and the relationship you can forge with the Nunez family vs being just a hull # at the other 2 places.

The guys that built the Donzi or the Scarab arent likely to even be around anymore.

Good luck!

UD
Are you sure that the guys that built the Donzi ZX are not around anymore?

Additionally there are two forums dedicated to Donzi boats and one has a ZX section where a number of people post that have done everything mild to wild with that hull.

As a matter of fact donzi.org just started the ZX section and there are people there that can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi View Post
Are you sure that the guys that built the Donzi ZX are not around anymore?

Additionally there are two forums dedicated to Donzi boats and one has a ZX section where a number of people post that have done everything mild to wild with that hull.

As a matter of fact donzi.org just started the ZX section and there are people there that can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.
Am I sure the original crew isnt there now? Not specifically. You seem to be well informed - are they? has this crew been around 10-20 years?

With as many boats as they have made they have a large following- Im not debating that. Im saying that I think the owners of Pantera will be easier to deal with and that he would be part of a very close knit family.

As far as Donzi is concerned- somethings going on over there thats really not good.

I am sure that this guy ordered a new 27 and not only couldn't get delivery of it, but Donzi lied to him repeatedly about the production schedule.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...i-27zr-12.html

I doubt the Nunez crew would have treated him like Donzi did.
Im not saying Donzi makes a bad boat, I think they make a fine craft- but the current guys running it arent straight shooters - at least with this guy.

Note Im not here pimping my own pet brand.

I think the poster is showing good judgement by taking it easy although after a short time he'll want more boat length.

I stand by my recommendation.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

That Teak cabin door is a hoot.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

....and the teak headboard in the stabin cabin.

UD
Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
....and the teak headboard in the stabin cabin.

UD
LOL Teak Veneer plywood big item,only thing missing is the box for the door louvers when they all fall out after the first hard launch.I did replacements in a sunburst pattern on the larger Cigarettes that gave some diagonal support.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!

NEVER has one louver come out