Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Notices

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
WTF are you smokin! There's nothing wrong with the bottoms but the simple fact that people dont know how to drive the boats properly. You can take a Baja and roll it too!! There is no unique or any problems with Outerlimits bottoms. End of story!
[you can take a baja and roll it too!
or a sutphen too just kidden DAN, but really if you take a left turn in any boat and put the left k plane down you will spin or roll any boat step or straight. the boat wants to lean in and your pushing in the other direction wipe OUT. OL makes a great boat and its nice they offer the school all boat co should that sell boats with speeds over 80.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Ed, I say respectfully, that if you had the left tab down, doing 60 in my non-stepped bottom Baja, unless you turned the wheel WAY too much, I highly doubt that anything would happen.

Why? Because my tabs are dinky little whimpy tabs that don't do much (they're single piston, Bennet tabs that are approximately 9 X 12), the drives are TRS drives (which are deep drives), and the boat is super user friendly.

Which only adds to the argument that some boats are much more user friendly than others, and some boats are more prone to accidents than others.
well my baja has 380s k planes cause the bennets broke twice the 1st year I had my boat and I am sure the ol has 280s or 380s. my boat would be spunning out at 60 if I took a hard turn with the Kplane lowered it would push the nose down and high side the transom might even flip with some good chop. our 24s are forgiving in the 60s but 80 plus your driving the boat hard not sitting back relaxed like in a OL at 80. so with k planes in a straight bottom boat your still spinning or going over.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
Are people having trouble understanding what is going on under a boat physically? Having an inside tab down during a turn is about the same as putting a set of training wheels on a motorcycle, running 60 MPH, and turning hard left and expecting it NOT to flip. Unload the rear of something that's supposed to be in the water, load a portion of the hull that shouldn't be in the water, and then effectively not allow a V-hull to lean into a turn, and I'm fairly sure that spells disaster at anything over idle speed. Let me go put the inside tab down on my Fountain and turn hard.... relatively sure I could flip that too.
perfect about the bike !!!! oh I saw a friends 42 fountain going straight one minute and the next a big wall of water and he was pointed almost in the other direction he came from a straight bottom boat to a stepped fountain and had it for two years when this happened so its not a OL thing once more.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Many of the people that buy these boats have not had a boat of this caliber before. Remember, everyone is an amateur once. Most guys that can afford a million plus dollar boat and want to impress their friends are not going to buy a 50 mph boat.
Understood, but lets hope that they also impress their friends by operating their missiles in a knowledgeable manner.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
The funny thing is fountain, I've never really commented about their boats! That's YOU being defensive about nothing.

The only thing close that I said about the performance of the 42' OL is that they "seem less forgiving than many other hull designs," which was based on the prior OL discussion of the one that rolled. And even then I went on to qualify the statement by saying "If that's not the case, and all of these larger, high HP, stepped hull boats are rolling over at a high rate, than maybe courses should be offered with all of them." Which again DOESN'T MAKE ANY CLAIMS ABOUT STEPPED HULL BOATS. It's an IF and a THEN statement.

The ONLY thing that I've said is IF there is a problem THEN something needs to be done about it, period, but people like you get uber protective about their favorite boat manufacturers and put words into people's mouths and then claim... "this is brand bashing!!!," which it clearly is not...
I would like to roll your 32 Baja over and watch all your Barry Manilow cassette tapes go flying you Jacka$$!!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeless61
i think i may just be comparing a cat to a V and they are just 2 completely different animals and the width of a cat also riding on air, and such just makes it feel a bit different
For me I think it's just two different boats...

My experience with cats, like yours with V's, is limited. The few times I have been on cats I did not feel safe, especially the 28 OB skater I was on. Nothing against the boat, I just wasn't used to it.

The thing I did not like about the 36' cat I was in was how when you were riding in quartering seas one sponson would come out of the water and the boat would want to turn left or right depending on which sponson was out of the water. My instincts made me react by turning the wheel slightly to keep the boat going straight but the more I drove it the more I realized I just needed to let it happen and keep the wheel straight. So as the one sponson lifted the boat turned slightly but when the wave got to the other sponson and it lifted the boat turned the other way and I stayed on my original course... I figured it out quickly but it was just weird.. It's something I had to get used to and wasn't sure if I wanted to get used to it permanently.

One thing I liked a lot about the cat was how stable they were at high speeds and actually a smoother ride. There's no denying it. Less driving seemed to be needed... However, a Cat does not fit in with my boating style (family, overnight trips etc.)

On the flip side, I was helping drive a 46' OL with trips last summer. I was running trim while he throttled and steered... It was the first time both of us drove the boat. It took me about 20 minutes to get used to how the boat ran and what it liked.. We started off slow...it's no Apache... But once I got it dialed in and we ran near 100 mph in 3-4 ft seas it was a great ride.

Last edited by Panther; 06-11-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Yes, you can comment on anything without being in one as you stated. I should have stated how can you say Outerlimits needs to re-design their bottoms without running in one. You going to be at the Atlantic City run? Also to add to this, this particular boat was bought as a repo from a bank through legendary marine
That comment would make sense, but I never said that they need to do so, I just said that they could in fact do it...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Dude your an IDIOT! Stop talking before you make yourself look any dumber....

Some fing idiots on this board..........
Nice intelligent post... Good thing you "contributed" to the thread...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
To use your own example.

Would you balme the manufacturer or say the bike needed to be re-designed if someone that owned a Ducati 998 traded the bike in on a Harley Davidson Road King and this said rider pushed the road king to the limits he was used to on a 998? Who's at fault? The Road king does not perform the same as a 998. Or better yet, is it the manufacturer's responsiblity to ensure it's riders of these high performance street bikes realize they are riding street version race bikes and to go over all the enherant dangers of such? Is it the manufacturers fault the rider is retarded when they do something stupid? I think not.

It's pretty common knowledge (or at least it seems it should be), you don't turn a stepped bottom hull with the drives tucked in or the tabs down. It airates the rear of the hull and cause the bow to hook.

Common concern with step bottom boats. Just as it's a common concern you don't run a Road King through the canyons at 80.

I'm not getting defensive, I'm mearly stating facts.

OL's does not need to re-design their hulls. In all reality, it is not really ANY manufacturers responsibility to ensure it's drivers opporate their boats/cars/bikes in a safe manner. It's nice that some offer a driving course but not required. Just as it's not Ferrari's responsiblity to ensure it's drivers obey all the traffic laws, or that HD riders realize their not riding sport bikes, or Ducati/Yamaha/Suzuki street bike riders realize they're driving a racing machine on the street.

Sh!t happens man. A little personal responsibility and accountability would be refreshing in this industry.
Good post Tank...

But it is an apples to oranges comparison.

To put it in marine terms what you're basically saying is if you have a guy that used to drive a 35' Cig and he tries to drive his 50' Sundancer in the same manner it will crash. This is different due to the fitness of purpose of the vehicle - the 50' Sundancer wasn't built to be driven that way, it's not marketed as such and the manufacturer shouldn't be held responsible for that reason.

I agree with you that its not up to the boat manufacturer to ensure that their boats are driven properly, but it is up to the manufacturer to disclose issues that the boats may have that are not common to other vessels. This is sort of like SUV's being equipped with warning labels about being susceptible to rolling over.

Other interesting points - we do regulate which models of Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Jaguars, etc. are allowed to be imported here in the US. Despite having all of the required hardware (wipers, headlights, blinkers) the U.S. Govt. has deemed some of those vehiciles not road worthy, even though they can be driven on the street.

Note: I'm not saying that performance boat manufacturers should be responsible for other people's ridiculous actions (which is certainly being implied and inferred to my point). I'm 100% all for individual responsibility, no government regulations (I would go much further than the majority of this board for a lack of govt. regulation), and holding people accountable. That said, if a particular hull design is having a problem or if a particular manufacturer is a much higher propensity to crash then it needs to be corrected.

And again... I have NEVER said that OL's NEED to be redesigned. I have only correctly stated that it is possible to redesign them. I have never said that OL's designs are bad, only that IF they are bad then they need to be corrected.

I really don't see what people are so up in arms about?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
That statement just summed up this whole argument!
Any credability just went out the window!
Really? You don't think that it takes more to roll a traditional V bottom than a stepped hull? If that's the case, then you haven't read the thread, because EVERYONE has admitted that it is in fact the case, the just argue about the results/responsibility issue.

If anything, your questioning that statement costs YOU credibility, sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.