Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Actually, the ban on additional drilling was put into place years ago by Bush 41, and had been supported every year continuously through 2008 by every Governor and Legislator in the Gulf States. 2008 was a particularly bad year for politicians due to the high cost of oil and gas, so they told people what they wanted to hear then. Generally speaking, before 2008, most Republicans (and Dems too) in the Gulf States, said the risks to their economies and livelihoods were far greater than the minimal benefits.

Obviously, this was music to the environmentalist's ears. Some of the smart ones actually had reasons for supporting the ban.
So you are saying the reason we can't drill in ANWR is because of Republican Governors in Southern States - because that is the point I was making - it's better to drill on land in places like ANWR instead of way out in the deep Gulf where the cost is too high if something goes wrong.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
So you are saying the reason we can't drill in ANWR is because of Republican Governors in Southern States - because that is the point I was making - it's better to drill on land in places like ANWR instead of way out in the deep Gulf where the cost is too high if something goes wrong.
I'd agree with you on ANWR. I'm sure many would feel good about it. Most overestimate the impact of such drilling, both environmentally, and from a supply standpoint. ANWR is a puddle compared to other sources. There are opposing interests involved in many of these things. First, people think more supply = cheaper oil. Not so anymore. Our two largest suppliers of foreign oil for many, many years, became Mexico and Canada. When oil got cheap, the Canadian boom was stifled for a bit.

Much the same argument for refineries. You'd have to be a complete idiot to build a new refinery nowadays. Many didn't see this.

At any rate, I'd say open up ANWR, and appease the people.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
Come on Jay, mission accomplished? Really? The newest estimated from the US Gov't is that there could be anywhere from 35k to 65k barrels of oil per DAY still spewing into the Gulf and you want to raise a victory flag. I would say the most important mission at this time is to stop the flow of oil into the Gulf, and that mission is far from being accomplished. If you ask me, that is the only mission that should count right now and that is where all of the efforts should be concentrated.

The $20B set aside will not be enough in the end...did you notice BP's stock went up when they essentially announced they were going to take a $20B hit? I wonder why....? I see this as the Administration negotiating a # that in the end will most likely fall far short from the real cost of this disaster (which you also alluded to). I would not call that mission accomplished. In the end I hope BP will (and has the resources to) step up and do the right thing and cover ALL of the costs associated with this disaster.
I think he was simply stating that Obama isn't the only president to be optimistic and lie (by saying it will be stopped next week). Mission Accomplished is what GWB said not long into the Iraq War that is still ongoing.

That said, IMO he's being disingenuous.

To blame this current spill on Bush is, IMO, utterly ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I recived these in a email today,.Say Gulfshores
This makes me wish that we didn't reject aid from other countries, and put fourth a larger effort to keep this thing contained.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I recived these in a email today,.Say Gulfshores
that makes me just about sick to look at. Where exactly is that?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
This makes me wish that we didn't reject aid from other countries, and put fourth a larger effort to keep this thing contained.
There are some 2000 oil skimmers in the USA, some 21 foreign countries had offered aid including the use of their oil skimmers, and as of yesterday, two months into this disaster, there are but 32 oil skimmers operating in the Gulf on this disaster. There is no excuse for that. Obama has proved to be as inept in responding to this disaster as Bush was to Katrina. I just doin't understand why more isn't being done.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about?? There are ships from Denmark, Norway and other oil-producing countries on site right now.

What "larger effort" would you suggest? A nuke? BTW it's "put FORTH".
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
What are you talking about?? There are ships from Denmark, Norway and other oil-producing countries on site right now.

No....he is talking the Jones Act not allowing all the boats from foreign countries made to pick up and skim oil not being allowed to work in our waters. Since the boats were not made in the USA. Another way to support the unions.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando

as far as I have heard the offers from ALL other countries to send equipment and help has been denied...I hope that isn't true but that is what is being said. Also skim boats were said to have been shut down today for "Offical" saftey inspetions..WTF are they thinking!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was simply stating that Obama isn't the only president to be optimistic and lie (by saying it will be stopped next week). Mission Accomplished is what GWB said not long into the Iraq War that is still ongoing.

I got it now, misinterpreted was Jay was saying. I guess I’ve got too much going on here at work and read it too fast! Sorry Jay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.