Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sixmassive
if the "experts" on tv are really experts, why are they not out here?
Damn good question. I guess they can't be everywhere.

Thanks for the info, keep us posted.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Here's a good article with some links on BP's sh!tty safety record.

Except today's New York Times makes a pretty persuasive case that BP really did stand out in its disregard for safety, and that not all oil companies are equal. First up, Jad Mouwad wrote a profile of ExxonMobil, which revamped its management culture after the Exxon Valdez tanker spill in 1989, and now "stands out among its peers for its obsessive attention to safety." In fact, back in 2006, Exxon ran into problems in a deepwater well similar to what BP faced at Macondo—natural gas kicking up—and the company decided to abandon the well rather than keep drilling. (Exxon was savaged by financial analysts at the time, but the decision looks pretty shrewd in retrospect.)

The picture looks very different when you turn to the Times' excellent profile of BP. The company has a long record of safety violations—in 2005, an aging BP plant in Texas exploded, killing 15 people, and an after-action report blamed "organizational and safety deficiencies at all levels of BP." Then came a large leak that poured 267,000 gallons of oil into Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in 2006, thanks to poorly maintained pipes. And just this year, federal inspectors have found 62 safety violations at BP's Ohio refinery. Yet BP never underwent the same cultural shift that ExxonMobil underwent. And, so, in retrospect, it's no surprise that BP cut so many corners:

Don' forget about having terrorists released to secure oil contracts. Bp is as dirty as an english dentist.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ducktail I have no idea what you are trying to say towards the end.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Wink

Hello, I have no problem with your posting I would only like you to explain the last sentence instead of answering a question with a question. I have only problems with posting of others in this thread who misread this as a fun thread and try to be funny although there are more than 10.000 unemployed comedians out there, according to the information in a Fountain thread.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixmassive
if the "experts" on tv are really experts, why are they not out here?
A long time ago I learned,

those who can, are the ones who do,

those that can't, watch those who do, and become self proclaimed experts, AKA talking pin heads
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktail
Hello, I have no problem with your posting I would only like you to explain the last sentence instead of answering a question with a question. I have only problems with posting of others in this thread who misread this as a fun thread and try to be funny although there are more than 10.000 unemployed comedians out there, according to the information in a Fountain thread.
ducktail, I think what he's trying to say is that the "experts" on TV are doing no good "theorizing" on what should be done when they have no actual expertise in the field they are commenting on/about!! Take James Cameron for example...why in the world would anyone consult a film director on how to fix this mess??? The guy has no background in anything remotely associated in this other then maybe his underwater remote vehicle exposure. And he's out on public TV saying "These morons don't know what there doing" ??? Seriously!?!? I mean the guy may have started to study physics at California State University ( I looked up his bio) but that was back in the early 70's....and guess what he dropped out!!! Other then his "honorary" degree's that he got for his "accomplishments" he's got nothing! He is also "self taught" ....is that enough to make him an "expert"?

Please dont take this as an attack on you or anything of the sort...just my view of what sixmassive meant with that last sentence.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered

I will try it this way: What could lets say a rather small group of actual experts do if those who block them right now can not block them any longer? Who are those experts and what would they perhaps do when they are allowed to stop the spill?
(Im off now)
Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktail
I will try it this way: What could lets say a rather small group of actual experts do if those who block them right now can not block them any longer? Who are those experts and what would they perhaps do when they are allowed to stop the spill?
(Im off now)
I would say the talking heads on TV are useless and the real genus is found behind the scenes actually getting it done,they need left alone.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

Well the way I see it....since this is unchartered territory they are dealing with...there are no experts! Only thing they can do is throw ideas out there and go with what sounds best according to the general consensus of the "team" working on it. Problem is that you may have a guy out there that has the fix for the mess but he will never be heard because he cant get to the inner circle to get his idea out there. It all boils down to having too many cooks in the kitchen....Its BP's kitchen and they dictate who the cooks are right now.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

wally: exactly

Ducktail: as previously stated i am on the q4000. i have been here since the beginning. i am not degrading anyone's post or their intellect.
if you look under my user name, i live in ft Lauderdale. i am from the virgin islands, but have lived in Galveston since 04 until recently.
I was simply stating that all the so called experts on tv; bill nye the science guy, james cameron, some other movie star with the vacuum idea, ect, haven't worked in the oil industry nor do they know the detail of the operation. it just causes more panic and irrational thinking ie stopping drilling.
in 90 days they could have went to all the drilling rigs and inspected them to the current safety standards. these standards have been successful in preventing accidents for years, and as stated publicly, the standards on the horizion were not met.
Why BP is taking all the blame i do not know. BP is simply a customer who contracted Transocean to drill the well. they also contracted Cameron to build the BOP and then later modified it. Transocean has the final say of what goes on on the rig, not BP.
If you contract Joe Blow to build you a house, he states to build it, but starts to fall behind schedule, you start to rush him, he takes some shortcuts, and then the roof collapses. . . whose fault is that?
I am not saying that BP is not responsible nor am i pointing that Transocean is responsible. the media is having a blast just throwing names out there. once this is stopped, i guess they will figure out who gets the bill.

and on boycotting BP gas stations. . .stupid stupid. .
1. you are causing local business owners to lose money, not BP. look up how a gas station franchise is operated.
2. how do you expect BP to pay for the clean up if we dont support them? I sure as f dont want it taken out of the taxes i pay.

I am not yelling, angered or frustrated here with anyone. i am just posting. no hard feeling to anyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.