Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is >

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Notices

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it help if we clarified if we were referring stricly to sterndrives or any (including the many superfast maufacturers that only use outboards) single engine vee bottom.

I am pretty sure Howards claim states that the 28 Bullet was the fastest single engine sterndrive vee bottom, but not 100% and too lazy to look right now.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
Which run is that?
We have kept is quite since Dec.....
and we have had it set up the Friday before the Sunny Island race, but we still had problems with the boat...
We were hoping to run it before the Sarasota race but we still don't have the boat right...

It will be the run from Tampa to Miami....320 miles
We have everything in place for the run...
Refueling station, support boats and the C.G

The record as most of you know is 3hrs 47 mins and 30 seconds...by F Buzzi ....

At the attempt we will ask if a single engine gas record can be added for the run....if so...we will set the mark...if not we will still attempt to beat Buzzi's record....

We feel even in a 27 foot boat that record can be beat....
We have a number of other attempts that we have set for 2011....but this is the one we want to take on....

We have talk with ILMOR in lentgh on this attempt and we feel good about the power we have...

We feel with the ILMOR 725 and Indy Drive we would be very comfortably with that run and time and the reliability...
But because of the lack of room the the engine compartment we were unable to put in the tranny...
We will attempt this with a Bravo and a Imco lower for now...but don't know if see will hold together...

We also want Jim to be comfortable in the boat also...its not easy coming from the cats to this little boat...we also have Mark K to jump on the throttles pending on Jim feels in the boat....with some other throttlemen that will jump in if needed....
Safety will come first and were not going to run it unless the boat is right....and we know we can beat the record...were not going out just to say we finish...if we can't put up a repectable time...I would not be taking this project on...

This was not the boat we had scheduled to run in 2010 for these distance runs..but like I posted earlier the boat we wanted was taken off the market......but after getting back into the Activator...I think it can be done....it will be more of a beating...but it can be done...

Last edited by MANITIE; 07-14-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Is there a single gas engine VEE bottom with a prop speed record....
I'm sure its in some little boat....
But with Reggies Vee bottom record, I have not heard of any single prop gas engine in a Vee bottom...
I know the F1 hydros run 140's with there OB...but I'm talking a vee hull...

Anyone know the numbers...

Thanks

2005 Howard Bullet SBBC power MMW full billet drive 131 MPH! Tested by Performance Boats.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

It seems that in a offshore style boat that is the number in a 25 to 30 foot Vee....
But we don't want to start a class for specific vee's....and have all differant quilifiers.....
Thats why I wanted to see if there was just a single vee kilo record which seems to be the 129 in the Allison...
The problem I'm seeing is we can spend the money to build a 27 vee to hit that....but I think in no time one of these smaller boats will come out and do 140....and were not looking to buy stupid power just to run a kilo....
But the 131 number that you put up is impressive....
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Here is a video of a single IO 30' Checkmate running 114 mph. The boat looks very stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpI6uatTusk
Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anybody skiracing a Howard?
if not it must be because they are slow

Last edited by powerabout; 09-27-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rik
Yep, George Desmond's 1974 18' Donzi 2+2. Ran 124 with a small block
Here's a pic of George's X18 at speed and one of the transom bling. Think he was running a SBC stroker motor with procharger and fastfuel injection system.

He doesn't own the boat anymore. There are a few vids of his speed runs over on donzi.net. He had the setup nailed. It was very stable at speed.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Good looking set up...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MANITIE

The record as most of you know is 3hrs 47 mins and 30 seconds...by F Buzzi ....
Where do you find the long distance records like this? I always hear reference to this long distance races and it would be cool to see what's been done and the time.

Also if you want to beat it just hand Ian (from Ilmor) the keys to whatever it is. You think he talks fast, thats nothing compared to how he drives!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

You learn after time to understand Ian.....

F Buzzi broke the record from Miami to Tampa in 3 hours 47mins and 30 seconds....after the Worlds on 11/25/2004
Its on the SBI website and was sanction by SBI....

We will be attempting this between Oct and early Dec.
We will be doing it from Miami to Tampa...becuase we will have more water support on the west side of Fl heading from Naples to Tampa....
Our one stop is going to be at Marco Island for refueling...

There are a number of long distance records out there...
but with only a 27 foot boat...this is the only one we feel we have a shot at....

Mark K and I were just discussing it again today on what the time period we are looking at....

Last edited by MANITIE; 09-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.