Mercury 1350 In Production

Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: 21 Scout

Why whistle when you can roar.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
Why whistle when you can roar.
turbo= no roar
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

I know the Cigarette at Miami had the 1350's. Any other builders have a set and testing them? Any feedback?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhe8er View Post
I bet the number is not huge. Takes well over a hundred hours to hand-assemble these things.
I'd like to see exactly why it takes over 2 work weeks to assemble. I realize its a beast of engine and yes it is bada$$ ....BUT really? Over a hundred hours?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
I'd like to see exactly why it takes over 2 work weeks to assemble. I realize its a beast of engine and yes it is bada$$ ....BUT really? Over a hundred hours?
That's a good question. How long does it take to assemble an Ilmor engine? How long does it take Teague to build one of his 1200 motors? Sterling? Eddie Young? Tommy?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
That's a good question. How long does it take to assemble an Ilmor engine? How long does it take Teague to build one of his 1200 motors? Sterling? Eddie Young? Tommy?
The Ilmor V-10 is a basic N/A push rod engine. Apples to oranges compared to a big honkin forced induction motor. But i'd also like to know how long it takes Sterling or Chief, Merc etc....to assemble these monsters
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Registered

I don't know and can't speak for the others, but it takes me about 300-350 hours to completely assemble a pair of my 1200's. Am I slow....sure. Am I careful....yes. That is intentional. I could certainly bolt all of the parts together in an afternoon, but chances are good that they would come right back apart......no tools required.
The above time does not include machine work or dyno time, however it includes all of the prep, cleaning (which is probably half of the total time) assembly, wiring, plumbing, etc. I have literally spent 2 full days fitting main bearings alone in one block. But that is why I can stand behind them. If you use the best parts and take the time to do it right, then it should stay together. Bottom line....it takes a TON of time to do it right and you can not rush it.
Eddie
Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Performance View Post
I don't know and can't speak for the others, but it takes me about 300-350 hours to completely assemble a pair of my 1200's. Am I slow....sure. Am I careful....yes. That is intentional. I could certainly bolt all of the parts together in an afternoon, but chances are good that they would come right back apart......no tools required.
The above time does not include machine work or dyno time, however it includes all of the prep, cleaning (which is probably half of the total time) assembly, wiring, plumbing, etc. I have literally spent 2 full days fitting main bearings alone in one block. But that is why I can stand behind them. If you use the best parts and take the time to do it right, then it should stay together. Bottom line....it takes a TON of time to do it right and you can not rush it.
Eddie
Using Eddie's math (and I've heard similar work-hour numbers in like power engines from Teague and Sterling), the 100-hour mark per 1350 engine makes perfect.

To answer another question: The AMG Cigarette is the only boat currently equipped and running with 1350s. As I mentioned in my article, the first production pair of 1350s began build-up in late July. They likely are done by now, but I don't know if they've been shipped and I know they haven't been installed and rigged as of right now.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 02 38 T/S GUN-SMITH POWER 43 Wellcraft Portifino

What manufacture are they going to?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
What manufacture are they going to?
Pretty sure they're going to MTI, though I don't have confirmation on that.