Like Tree0Likes

Mercury 1350 In Production

Reply
Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 AM
  #21
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member
 
Cash Bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the way to a PR near you
My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Posts: 11,958
Default

Headed to a 48' MTI I believe.

A nice red one that has been patiently waiting since the motors were announced.

WindShip is her name I think.
__________________
Your OSO connection to great S. Florida Real Estate.
www.gregsellswaterfront.com
Cash Bar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
  #22
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Big Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westport, CT
Posts: 1,470
Default

Does anyone know what the maintenance intervals are on these? Hrs on engine before rebuilds, cost of rebuilds? Plus, who is qualified to do the maintenance....
Big Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
  #23
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P31 View Post
Did anybody hear the test numbers from the AMG cig. or was it just built as a show peace ?
Its running close to 140 so far.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
Does anyone know what the maintenance intervals are on these? Hrs on engine before rebuilds, cost of rebuilds? Plus, who is qualified to do the maintenance....
Im very curious about this as the Merc 1000+ HP units have RIDICULOUS maintenance (like 25 hour inspections) intervals and costs. I've seen twin engine planes cheaper to maintain, and along those lines you can watch high HP merc boats values sink in direct proportion to rebuild time - just like a plane.

Id bet these are better as the valvetrain is a big part of the issues and these are far closer to ideal from an actuation standpoint.

Not that a guy looking at this package probably cares, but its good to know so we can all dream.

Im totally spoiled with my Ilmor products relative lack of maintenance.


Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
  #25
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Im very curious about this as the Merc 1000+ HP units have RIDICULOUS maintenance (like 25 hour inspections) intervals and costs.

I've seen twin engine planes cheaper to maintain, and along those lines you can watch high HP merc boats values sink in direct proportion to rebuild time - just like a plane.
To really try to stay ahead of any potential failures on motors of this size, having them tuned & looked over on every oil change, or every other one, is essential. It does cost money, but it's pennies compared to having one fail. A fluid change, valve check, & overall "physical" can help you catch a loose bolt, cracked belt, sticky valve, etc, before it finds you.

I think you may be referring to the rebuild cost of the Mercury 1075 packages, when you mention the ridiculous service intervals? They are done at approximately 100-120 hours, and cost roughly $20-$25k per motor to REBUILD, if nothing is already broken. You still do regular valve checks, fluid changes, etc, during that 100-120 hour period, but it's not at all insane on the price, unless the mechanic doing it is really sticking it to you. Mercury doesn't have to do the regular service work, unless you just want them to.

You shouldn't be paying a lot more to have the oil changed on a 1075, than you would on a stock 502, other than the difference in cost for the type of oil you choose to run. A valve job isn't astronomical either, as long as you don't have one sticking out of your head, or block, lol.

I think the new Mercury 1300/1350, is the biggest step forward in high performance boating, that I can remember for a long time. Being able to run HUNDREDS of hours, with that kind of horsepower, torque, and do it all on 91 octane WITH a one year warranty, is just incredible.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
  #26
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLee View Post
To really try to stay ahead of any potential failures on motors of this size, having them tuned & looked over on every oil change, or every other one, is essential. It does cost money, but it's pennies compared to having one fail. A fluid change, valve check, & overall "physical" can help you catch a loose bolt, cracked belt, sticky valve, etc, before it finds you.

I think you may be referring to the rebuild cost of the Mercury 1075 packages, when you mention the ridiculous service intervals? They are done at approximately 100-120 hours, and cost roughly $20-$25k per motor to REBUILD, if nothing is already broken. You still do regular valve checks, fluid changes, etc, during that 100-120 hour period, but it's not at all insane on the price, unless the mechanic doing it is really sticking it to you. Mercury doesn't have to do the regular service work, unless you just want them to.

You shouldn't be paying a lot more to have the oil changed on a 1075, than you would on a stock 502, other than the difference in cost for the type of oil you choose to run. A valve job isn't astronomical either, as long as you don't have one sticking out of your head, or block, lol.

I think the new Mercury 1300/1350, is the biggest step forward in high performance boating, that I can remember for a long time. Being able to run HUNDREDS of hours, with that kind of horsepower, torque, and do it all on 91 octane WITH a one year warranty, is just incredible.

There are several good threads about this, many have your feedback in them.

Ive seen various inspections and rebuild intervals quoted on the older Merc engines I read somewhere the valve inspection interval on the older engines was like 25 hours.

This would mean at even my moderate level of use- I would end up taking a boat into the shop for inspection every single trip I take.

Agreed this is a huge step forward.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
  #27
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/pdf/freshenup.pdf

The very first sentence basically says it all.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
  #28
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/pdf/freshenup.pdf

The very first sentence basically says it all.

UD
Looks like those big valves and seats get beat up quick.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
Looks like those big valves and seats get beat up quick.
Sure seems like it.
I hope one can get those valve covers off without removing headers- other wise what a PIA.

The new stuff looks just awesome, and I wonder what the operational costs really are.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.