Notices

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never asked or expected anything from passengers.But keep in mind your friends become your responsibility once you leave the dock.I am the exception but I do not allow alcohol on my boat.And if there is ever an accident expect to be sued by all of your friends,passengers.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We've never accepted money for fuel and never will. We'd be out on the boat regardless of who else is in it. If someone wants to pay for lunch, fine. Generally speaking, guests are going to be doing things my way, which includes where we go, where we dock/anchor, and pretty much their entire journey.

If we're out with other family or close friends, we tell them ahead of time what we're planning to do, whether it be anchoring/swimming or heading out for food at a restaurant. I want them to be prepared, so bring what you want for food/drink and some towels. It doesn't cost me anything extra (usually) to have another couple or a few extra people aboard.

Now it's a little different for those that have friends that meet up with your for watersports in pleasure boats. Same with fishing trips.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Never asked or expected anything from passengers.But keep in mind your friends become your responsibility once you leave the dock.I am the exception but I do not allow alcohol on my boat.And if there is ever an accident expect to be sued by all of your friends,passengers.
we allow alcohol onboard but the operator (usually my brother) never drinks...

i also want to mention, we dont collect gas money that we dont intend to use that day...typically we go to the gas dock with 3/4 tank. typically we consume about 1/4 gas each trip. so we fill up to full and by the end of the day returning to the marina we are around 3/4 tank again.

its almost like splitting gas money in a car...

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 08-24-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

ya know what is funny about the fuel thing is i also always (always) refuse fuel money but occasionally a few of my friends are wise to this and i have had some of them get creative and stash money somewhere in the cabin where they know i will find it. Had a buddy along for a poker run whose boat had broke down that week i had plenty of room as i run a light crew anyway. After the run he tried handing me some cash several times and i refused several times. Like i said i was doing the run anyway and he was a good guy to have on the boat, wasnt gonna leave him on the dock because i know if my boat was down he would certainly have room for me. Anyway we were up at the last stop party and at the end of the night before they left he snuck back to the boat and hid some money in my sink. I didnt really get it at first when i ran across it but after i called his girlfriend (who was an X of mine) she confirmed it. Wasnt really sure what to do with it at that point but he really went through some effort to do that. He's a customer to so i made sure it came back around to him. There two kind of passengers, those that get it . . . . and those that dont.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I never charge anyone for fuel and most times not for food or beer. Although I appreciate when some one brings food beer or pays dock fees. I always look at it as I am going any way and if you want to come thats fine I am going with or with out you thats why I usually cover every thing. Plus most of the people that boat with me on a regular basis are close friends who all pitched in on the boat when we had the boat redone so they are always welcome at no charge.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Good point. I've seen firsthand the best of friends sue one another over a boating accident. That is one of many reasons I carry a multi-million dollar PLUP.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO it kind of depends on what your social circle looks like. I just graduated from law school, and so did many of my friends. None of us are "well-off" right now, but we all have money (some more than others). My friends sort of get in line and call me to reserve a slot on my boat, which is fine for me. I kind of plan what type of trip I'm going to have (crazy party with girls everywhere, or smaller social gatherings with a couple of beers) based on who is coming out on a particular trip.

Our typical outages consist of me getting to the marina around 10am, washing the boat, cleaning the interior, starting the boat, getting it warmed up, and getting it splashed (it is in rack storage). More so for time than anything they stop and pick up the beer, subs, pop, and water for the evening. I would be more than happy to contribute to the cost, but I'm never asked to (and I have tried).

I generally stop and get fuel every trip out. I would rather pick up the $60-80 that I know I'm going to spend that day than put a couple of hundred in the gas tank and carry around a ton of gas, but I never expect any contributions at the gas dock. I don't currently refuse any, but that's mainly because of my financial situation and the financial situation of my friends. If I were more established and making a lot more money I would be almost embarrassed to take any money from them to cover the relatively small ($80 bux) fuel bill, but right now, when we're all in the "same boat" (pun intended!) I'll gladly take a $20 spot from a willing contributor!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

I generally stop and get fuel every trip out. I would rather pick up the $60-80 that I know I'm going to spend that day than put a couple of hundred in the gas tank and carry around a ton of gas, but I never expect any contributions at the gas dock. I don't currently refuse any, but that's mainly because of my financial situation and the financial situation of my friends. If I were more established and making a lot more money I would be almost embarrassed to take any money from them to cover the relatively small ($80 bux) fuel bill, but right now, when we're all in the "same boat" (pun intended!) I'll gladly take a $20 spot from a willing contributor!
these are my feelings exactly...if i made more money it wouldnt be an issue but since all of our friends, like you make similar money and enjoy eachothers company...we split the fuel. there are some friends that use others and there are some that dont...i like to surround myself with those that dont. the friends that make a contribution are more than welcome back.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing I EVER ask boat guests for is respect of my rules and my property. If they cannot comply with those two requests, they find themselves as one time only guests.

If someone wants to buy me lunch or dinner, great and thanks.

If someone who "doesn't get it" wants to offer me 20 bucks for gas, I just smile and politely refuse.
If a friend descides that they are giving the gas boy their VISA card before I can give him mine, I will say thank you very much but you don't have to do that. Its then their descision whether they continue to do so.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I would make this my first post as I don't have a boat yet, but am selling a jetski and officially started my boat hunt for next season.....

.....For boating, I would never ask for gas money. I wouldn't provide food or alcohol other than what I bring, which I would share because I buy a case of beer. There is no way I'd even attempt at drinking that myself. Also, I'm a fan of docking up at restaurants so I never really bring food anyway. I meet up with my uncle using my ski and always bring him some Firefly to say thanks for letting me hang out on the boat. I also get invites from a friend to go out on his boat, but never do because he expects me to split gas with him. I'll pass on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.