Notices

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
There two kind of passengers, those that get it . . . . and those that dont.
Ain't that the truth!!!

Speaking of "passenger etiquette" I have a much harder time getting first (and sometimes second and even third timers) to understand how to properly behave and "lend a hand" on the boat.

The worst passenger is "Mr. My-Dad-Used-To-Have-A-Boat," and he is a know-it-all that can't be told "no" and wants to do EVERYTHING (but can't seem to tie a knot at the dock).

I rarely need a hand docking my boat, unless it is crazy windy (and even then I'm generally ok, my boat has very good dock manners). I can't stand when passengers get nervous when you get close to a dock or pylon that you plan to use while docking the boat, and then they shove you away from it. That and shoes are the two biggest no-no's on my boat.

Last weekend a friend of mine got his though... it was HILARIOUS!!! He IS "Mr. My-Dad-Used-To-Have-A-Boat."

I know he's overly anxious to help, and I know that once he gets his mind set on "helping" I can't talk him out of it, so I explained to him that I was going to use the pylon at the end of the dock to pivot off of to bring the boat in. There was already a boat in the well, and it's only about an extra 8-10"s wide. I wanted to stay nice and tight to the dock. He said "what's that mean?" And I explained that it means NOT to push me away from the dock, just keep the boat tight to it and pull it down toward the hi-low.

Well... hahaha... he was at the stern of the boat and I couldn't tell what the heck he was doing (but remember, you can't tell him anything... he knows everything!!!). I asked him "are you pushing us away or pulling us in closer?" (mind you the boat was completely off at this point, and we were "home." All that was left to do was to grab two lines and tie it up) He didn't respond, but the boat kept drifting further and further away from the dock. I was waiting for him to pull us in when SPLASH!!! in he went. It was HILARIOUS and he was PISSED!!! The boat that was sitting next to us in the well that I was trying to respect its space was filled with women and all 10 or so of them were cracking up, as were the two other girls on my boat. He blamed everyone but himself as everyone cracked up and ignored his moronic whining. He left and went to the car and pouted, but I still thought it was hilarious.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 08-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

If someone who "doesn't get it" wants to offer me 20 bucks for gas, I just smile and politely refuse.
If a friend descides that they are giving the gas boy their VISA card before I can give him mine, I will say thank you very much but you don't have to do that. Its then their descision whether they continue to do so.
for some of us including me...our boat doesnt consume a lot of fuel relatively speaking (comparing our fastech to a twin 1075 cigarette), so the $20 is appreciated as it usually costs us around $100 to top off from around 3/4 tank. for some members i can see its a joke as it probably costs some around 1k to fill. for others it doesnt.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never charge for gas. Luckily my friends generally offer to pick up sandwiches and supply the beer/alcohol. Last summer I did not have to buy one case of beer from the liquor store because there was always tons of left over beer after the day's fun and they always just say "keep it." Thats when I get to sit on the couch and start crackin' open some cans!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
plus one

I dont require anything from my guests. I am going to be out there anyway with or without them and already budget my weekend to cover 100% of it. The people i invite is because i enjoy their company and know it will be a good time. I was always refuse gas money but if someone wants to pick up the tab for dockage or dinner thats a nice way for them to say thanks and i do appreciate it. Luckily pretty much all my friends are boaters and it all seems to work out, no one gets left on the dock and its always a good time.
+1. You dont invite someone over for dinner and give them half the grocery shopping list either. If you invite someone as a guest, cost is on you. I've never thought of charging a guest for anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
for some of us including me...our boat doesnt consume a lot of fuel relatively speaking (comparing our fastech to a twin 1075 cigarette), so the $20 is appreciated as it usually costs us around $100 to top off from around 3/4 tank. for some members i can see its a joke as it probably costs some around 1k to fill. for others it doesnt.
My point was it costs 5 to 6 hundred bucks to fill my boat with gas. I will burn that easy on the average poker run so is the 20 spot really going to make a difference. Someone who doesn't "get it" might think 20 bucks is alot of gas. To those who do "get it" would for the most part, not bother offering you 20 bucks for gas as they would realize that might be enough fuel to warm up the motor and get off the trailer. They might offer to pay the entire gas bill for the poker run though. Thats all.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

My point was it costs 5 to 6 hundred bucks to fill my boat with gas. I will burn that easy on the average poker run so is the 20 spot really going to make a difference. Someone who doesn't "get it" might think 20 bucks is alot of gas. To those who do "get it" would for the most part, not bother offering you 20 bucks for gas as they would realize that might be enough fuel to warm up the motor and get off the trailer. They might offer to pay the entire gas bill for the poker run though. Thats all.
i understood your point and i dont argue it...im actually agreeing with you, but you have to keep in mind some of us like me...it doesnt cost as much to fill the boat. so the $20 off actually is of value. just my 0.02
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
IMO it kind of depends on what your social circle looks like. I just graduated from law school, and so did many of my friends. None of us are "well-off" right now, but we all have money (some more than others). My friends sort of get in line and call me to reserve a slot on my boat, which is fine for me. I kind of plan what type of trip I'm going to have (crazy party with girls everywhere, or smaller social gatherings with a couple of beers) based on who is coming out on a particular trip.

Our typical outages consist of me getting to the marina around 10am, washing the boat, cleaning the interior, starting the boat, getting it warmed up, and getting it splashed (it is in rack storage). More so for time than anything they stop and pick up the beer, subs, pop, and water for the evening. I would be more than happy to contribute to the cost, but I'm never asked to (and I have tried).

I generally stop and get fuel every trip out. I would rather pick up the $60-80 that I know I'm going to spend that day than put a couple of hundred in the gas tank and carry around a ton of gas, but I never expect any contributions at the gas dock. I don't currently refuse any, but that's mainly because of my financial situation and the financial situation of my friends. If I were more established and making a lot more money I would be almost embarrassed to take any money from them to cover the relatively small ($80 bux) fuel bill, but right now, when we're all in the "same boat" (pun intended!) I'll gladly take a $20 spot from a willing contributor!
very good and valid points. When i was younger i could see it working out within my group of friends in this way.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you invite them the gas is on you.....If they invite themselves....well that's another story! Bring your own dang beer and food! Of course most of my friends are conservatives and understand this principle...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never charged for gas or poker run fees All of my friends know how expensive this can be so they pick up all of land based costs (drinks and food)

I had a friend at the house once and we were talking about it and I said ok lets sit here and every minute hand me $5 and see how long it takes till you dont want to pay for gas anymore LOL.

Alot of casual friend have no idea on what it costs to run a offshore boat I think they would choke on a $600 fillup.

The liabiliy issue raises its head in all things

I have some big parties at the house and this year took a year off and everyone said just charge everyone. Not that I would but to show the girlfiend I asked my insurance agent he pitched a fit and questioned my sanity. Charging for anything changes all of your liability issues.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Great thread!
Agree 100% with the expect nothing from your guests. Those that get it and bring food, drinks, etc. are the ones that get multiple invites and usually go out of their way to be appreciative.
As a passenger (in this hobby it happens sometimes more than we would like ), I always go out of my way to take someone to dinner, provide food or drinks, and in a few situations where I did multiple poker runs with the same person, slip the fuel dock attendant my credit card to pay for the fuel.
That really pissed him off and made me laugh! I know he really appreciated it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.