Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best time to buy?  Now, early winter, wait till early 2011? >

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Notices

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,330 Likes on 742 Posts

I always wonder if the people HAVE to sell, what kind of upkeep have they been doing? Is the thing getting used like a rental because they know they will not have it long?

Just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome advice. Didn't think of many of the things mentioned.

Here are the two I'm looking at right now in the Chicagoland area...

272 Baja...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...item27b4b50a27

25' Powerquest...
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6521

I have yet to see the interior of the Powerquest.

Not sure how different these two boats are, but there is right away a $5k difference in price.

For those that are knowledgable more than I am, probably most of this forum, what are the pro's and con's of going one way or the other? I just want a nice boat to take out onto Lake Michigan on the weekends, beach it somewhere, and just enjoy it without worrying to much about maintenance (although that's wishful thinking).
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat is for sale and I am way more inclined to accept a lowe offer now then I was during the spring.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Awesome advice. Didn't think of many of the things mentioned.

Here are the two I'm looking at right now in the Chicagoland area...

272 Baja...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...item27b4b50a27

25' Powerquest...
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6521

I have yet to see the interior of the Powerquest.

Not sure how different these two boats are, but there is right away a $5k difference in price.

For those that are knowledgable more than I am, probably most of this forum, what are the pro's and con's of going one way or the other? I just want a nice boat to take out onto Lake Michigan on the weekends, beach it somewhere, and just enjoy it without worrying to much about maintenance (although that's wishful thinking).
I think either of those are pretty decent first rides. Where will you do your boating though? You say Chicagoland, so if you'll be on Lake Michigan I'd recommend go as big as you can.

As to those 2 boats, both seem to have been cared for/updated. I really like the paint on the PQ. I believe the Baja is bigger though as both have built in swim platforms included in their measurements?

I personally don't care for Baja's, as you will see 10 boats just like yours in 1 trip in the midwest.

Overall my advice is to try and be patient, get a survey, and buy as big and fast as you can afford (and insure). Stock power is typically a good call as well for a 1st boat.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

Will mostly be out on the big lake, Lake Michigan.

Trying to stay within a reasonable length, a 30' would be nice but that would put in the early 90's for model years and a top speed around 50mph. The Baja with the 502 would be a perfect fit for me, both size and speed, at least until I get bored of it for it being too slow... lol.

Keeping my budget in mind of around $25k, I think I will be VERY limited as to what I can purchase. The PQ is right there at 25' and is a 1995. I can possbly go with a slower PQ/Baja/Formul but longer, older and slower and still be in that price range. Definitely trying to pick something up with a 'modern' look on the inside/exterior.

You're right though, I don't see more of any boat on the water than a Baja, I guess that's one thing that makes them affordable... they're a dime a dozen.

I drool everytime I come on here and browse through some of your boats, but I have to take it one day at a time and not over extend my budget. It is what it is. Who knows, prehaps in 5 years I'll be looking at 35' or so.

Thus far the number for the PQ listing is incorrect, so I emailed the seller, we'll see how that conversation goes.

If anything, I'll cool off a little and continue searching.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Will mostly be out on the big lake, Lake Michigan.

Trying to stay within a reasonable length, a 30' would be nice but that would put in the early 90's for model years and a top speed around 50mph. The Baja with the 502 would be a perfect fit for me, both size and speed, at least until I get bored of it for it being too slow... lol.

Keeping my budget in mind of around $25k, I think I will be VERY limited as to what I can purchase. The PQ is right there at 25' and is a 1995. I can possbly go with a slower PQ/Baja/Formul but longer, older and slower and still be in that price range. Definitely trying to pick something up with a 'modern' look on the inside/exterior.

You're right though, I don't see more of any boat on the water than a Baja, I guess that's one thing that makes them affordable... they're a dime a dozen.

I drool everytime I come on here and browse through some of your boats, but I have to take it one day at a time and not over extend my budget. It is what it is. Who knows, prehaps in 5 years I'll be looking at 35' or so.

Thus far the number for the PQ listing is incorrect, so I emailed the seller, we'll see how that conversation goes.

If anything, I'll cool off a little and continue searching.
For Lake Michigan, I'd go 28 (real 28, no swim platform included) or bigger. Look at Pantera 28's for a boat that will handle the rough and look "modern" still. I would think you could find an older Pantera 28 in your range that will still look great as it has been cared for. You will be waaaaay better off in that I think. By next spring one will pop up I'd bet in your range. Just keep reading in that section.

I've also seen PQ 280's for under 30 as well I think, and newer than 95.

Another option is a repo boat, check http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory.php often, and be ready to move fast if you find one there. Just have it surveyed, and be aware that if a motor goes or something it is spendy.

Also, I call BS on 70 mph with a stock 502 in that Baja, seems a bit fast for that power......do the research in the Baja section for real speeds.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

I sold a PQ 257 5 yrs ago for 21K, i wouldnt pay more than 17K for that, I sold my PQ 280 this spring for 28K, both in very good condition, be patient and look around, I dont like the way 272's ride
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/1931469864.html

http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/1933893296.html
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PQ is a much better boat than Baja. The 272's don't ride that great and have problems with tabs delaminating.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I always wonder if the people HAVE to sell, what kind of upkeep have they been doing? Is the thing getting used like a rental because they know they will not have it long?

Just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not for nothing, but in my experiences, "most" people in the performance boating world that spend over $150,000 on a boat, consider that money gone. Anybody spending over $200,000, aren't really spending it, the boat will be long gone before they make 20 years of payments and still owe more than the boat is worth. Sorry, I tell it like I see it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.