Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is brand more important than a deal in 2010? >

Is brand more important than a deal in 2010?

Notices

Is brand more important than a deal in 2010?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a fountain(brand new) before i bought my used 38 top gun. The 2 boats are not compatable at all! a 42 fountain is though. 42 fountain is a great riding boat. All the little b.s stuff will kill you. The stress cracks everywere and the entire boat just falling apart. Got tired of having it at the dealer. I had to have a screw gun on board with me at all times! The cig is the opposite. NOTHING comes apart. Cig hands down! i would never buy another new boat.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Remember, that 98% of the people who see those two boats parked side by side at the slips will think they are valued the same.

And 100% of all girls will
What the heck...let's just get Bayliners!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apples to apples is a 42 Ftn vs 38/39TG
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Ah, Jupiter, you never cease to entertain ... and ask reasonable questions.

In this case, your question is purely rhetorical. You already have your answer, and whether or not I or anyone else agrees with you it isn't important. You're really not asking a question, my friend. You're making a point. You think Cigarettes are overpriced and, for the most part, overrated. Correct me if I've misread you.

Here's my answer: If I have the bucks for the Cigarette without stressing over little things like groceries and the light bill, that's probably my call. If I have the bucks for the Fountain without stressing over the same little things, that's my call. It's all relative to my economic comfort zone.

Right now my economic comfort zone would have me ask you for a ride in your Sunsation the next time I'm in Florida. Cheers.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
What the heck...let's just get Bayliners!
I think he's right about the chicks, nearly none would ever guess the Cig cost twice as much! None would confuse these with a 18 ft bayliner though, so I think you might be stretching it. Hell, for fun on the water, sometimes I think the dudes in the 16 ft jetboats are having every bit the fun I am.

Now boat guys at the dock would have a better understanding.

I would think that nobody is really cross shopping these two. Now maybe someone would be cross shopping a 2005 Top Gun vs this Fountain. That to me is an interesting question. Which will depreciate more in the next 3 years? Is it worth going new vs a used Cig?

All I know is if I was building new, I'd pay a bit more for a true custom rather than dealer stock. Picking the paint, options, etc is the whole point to me!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, you'd be surprised how much So FL chicks know about these boats. It doesnt matter for the hit-it-and-quit-it weekend ones. But, if you're really trying to bang some serious golddigger trim they DO know what they are planting their thonged azz on at Haulover
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
I think he's right about the chicks, nearly none would ever guess the Cig cost twice as much! None would confuse these with a 18 ft bayliner though, so I think you might be stretching it.
Umm...I was joking, I'll insert the proper smilie next time

Originally Posted by rlj676
Hell, for fun on the water, sometimes I think the dudes in the 16 ft jetboats are having every bit the fun I am.
You have a point that I realized after selling my PowerPlay. While that was one heck of a nice boat, when I reflect on the boats I had before, I had just as much fun if not more on some of them and they weren't half that one was. I'm not dismissing the PP but some of the best memories I had were on boats much smaller and slower by far.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastoys
I had a fountain(brand new) before i bought my used 38 top gun. The 2 boats are not compatable at all! a 42 fountain is though. 42 fountain is a great riding boat. All the little b.s stuff will kill you. The stress cracks everywere and the entire boat just falling apart. Got tired of having it at the dealer. I had to have a screw gun on board with me at all times! The cig is the opposite. NOTHING comes apart. Cig hands down! i would never buy another new boat.
Last guy I knew who had a new Fountain had the same problem...it was in the shop more than the water; had to send it back to the factory twice. He now has a 38 Top Gun and is loving it.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Ah, Jupiter, you never cease to entertain ... and ask reasonable questions.

In this case, your question is purely rhetorical. You already have your answer, and whether or not I or anyone else agrees with you it isn't important. You're really not asking a question, my friend. You're making a point. You think Cigarettes are overpriced and, for the most part, overrated. Correct me if I've misread you.

Here's my answer: If I have the bucks for the Cigarette without stressing over little things like groceries and the light bill, that's probably my call. If I have the bucks for the Fountain without stressing over the same little things, that's my call. It's all relative to my economic comfort zone.

Right now my economic comfort zone would have me ask you for a ride in your Sunsation the next time I'm in Florida. Cheers.

As far as being a "rhetorical question," I fully expected a response from this crowd!

I posted this on a two fold thought. I laughed at the Sutphen/Cigarette thread, not at the Sutphen responses but those of guys with 20-25-30 year old Cigarettes outlining the virtues of the #1 on the hullsides. A similar group chimed in on the A/T thread that I thought was in good fun, albeit they had newer, faster models than the Sutphen thread.

The other consideration was my buddy who just lost 120K on buying the 2007 38 OSO Cig. He put about 270 hours on the boat, had a great time and nothing serious broke but still looked at the 120K/270 hours fun vs. cost ratio. He had no major mechanical issues but it did take 8 months to sell the boat through a broker. Potential buyers showed up with no money, looking to steal the boat despite it being the lowest priced 07 TG on the market. Several Cigs of similar age/power are still sit unsold. He is sitting on a bank account of full of money (boat was free and clear) and is still looking for a deal. When I said look for a new Fountain/Donzi for what you sold you Cig for (meaning no out of pocket money) he shrugged, arguing if he lost 120K on a Cig (supposedly #1 in resale) what would he lose on brand X? Customer service with #1 certainly was nowhere near #1..........

For my money, if I was to build a boat brand new Terry at Nortech would get my money. NT has taken many owners from other brands, yet I can't think of many that have left NT for "other brands."

So Matt as you can see I had multiple angles for posting this thread with the common denominator being "Does the value overpower the brand when it comes to pulling the trigger?" I also noted in the opening you could substitute the brands if it made more sense for you. So if the numbers were the same, substitute Outerlimits and Donzi instead of Cig/Fountain.

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 09-16-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Different strokes for different folks; same debate can be applied to most anything...sometimes you get what you pay for sometimes not. Is a Lambo ten times more fun than a Camaro? To the guy that has the Lambo it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.