Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking about buying a go pro camera. >

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Notices

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a thread on MWBP right now on this very topic. It's been going for a couple of days now. Pretty good info in that thread about it too.

This product has caught my eye and will likely be in my arsenal within a week or so if I get my way.

Someone commented about the integrity of the suction cup mount. I have no personal experience with it myself, but the video posted on MWBP was used with this mount on the transom of the boat for some of the vid while the boat was being run on LOTO. The owner said if you follow the directions carefully you will not have to worry about it coming loose.

Someone also mentioned that inability to view a screen or see what you are recording. I noticed on their site they had a screen that one could put on the back of the camera to remedy this issue or it was a bother. I realize there is added expense involved, but the overall cost was still reasonable IMO.

I will be purchasing the HD version when my order is placed. Just have to call the warehouse tomorrow and work out a pricing discount for the product line and I'll be set up!!

I look forward to using it for ATVing, boating, and hunting. Looks like a very cost effective option to me.

Buck
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I got the HP one. The only issue I have found is the Go Pro records in MP4 format and all the free editors are setup for MP3 so I have not been able to cut and splice any of the video. Can't email out 20mg video files and I have not been able to convert to edit these as of yet.
Rik I have used the following program to convert digital film format for a good while transfers from pretty much any format to another. Even formats for iPhones or ipads which are different than mp4. I think I had paid $35 to register it but found that it was well worth it.

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
So I have been thinking about buying a go pro camera for a while now. Think it could be fun for boating, snowboarding, jet skiing, etc videos. They have the regular one for $150 and the HD version for $300. Is it worth the extra money? I found one on ebay that is a new HD model with a case and a 16gig card for $329. Also, is this something that they are going to come out with a new model in a couple months and it would be worth it to wait for?

Thanks guys,
Josh
I have the following cameras;
Gopro HD
Contour 720hd
Contour 1080hd

I have found that the quality of all of them are very similar. They are very susceptible to lighting. I up to now have used them inside the cockpit of my MTI, which is challenging on lighting, sun comes in the windows and the camera does not get all outside and inside views with good lights. After a while I also figured that the best resolution to memory space ratio is to film in 720hd / 30fps. This gives enough resolution and time of recording on SD chips. 16MB cards last 8 hours at that ratio... Long enough too last till the boat breaks!!!!!

I just set up mounts on top of the snout looking forward and backwards on DOI and will more than likely go out today with them. After test
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This was shot with the Contour 1080hd a couple days ago at 720hd30fps. Looks better on computer with raw file as You tube dumbs it down a little.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0exFXyCtno[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually the best place to publish for quality video is here;

http://vimeo.com/7018240

This was shot last year with the Contour 720hd at 720hd30fps.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:48 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The reason I recently got the GoPro is because cowisl sent me this videos of his hydro they recorded with a GoPro and I couldn't believe the quality.

Once I did some static testing inside and outside the cockpit I figured the image with both cams where pretty good but my problem for quality in the cockpit was more related to lighting and vibration when both mills are running and we're getting our cage rattled running above triple digits all the time...

I hope this helps..... In confusing you even more.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalkTr8AgX8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the weather is nice today I will go out and have two cams on top of the snout facing front and back and will try the GoPro inside the cockpit.

I will set them all at full res and might try one at 720hd / 60 fps to see.

Mounting on the snout should resolve the tricky lighting issue but for my taste I am more concern on having a record of my instrumentation which is why up to now I have only used them inside the cockpit.

Some people might praise having full fledge multi lipstick camera with a fixed recorder but to me I like the portability of the small cams talked about here and besides. All that stuff would of stuck with the boat last March when I turned DOI in a submarine and I would not have saved footage of the whole ride!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also found lighting to be challenging inside a closed cockpit, but there's not much you can do about it except try to limit the changes in lighting and keep direct sunlight off the camera.

All the HD settings look good, but I like the 720 / 60fps setting as it seems to look smoother and more natural during action.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the suction cup on a 120 mile run, no problems. Also used it on my quad with no problem.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LzazILq37Gs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"> </param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LzazILq37Gs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I love mine! Bought it here for $228.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOPRO...Q5fMerchandise
Cool BIG Daddy and thnx for the link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.