Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking about buying a go pro camera. >

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Notices

Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a go pro camera.

So I have been thinking about buying a go pro camera for a while now. Think it could be fun for boating, snowboarding, jet skiing, etc videos. They have the regular one for $150 and the HD version for $300. Is it worth the extra money? I found one on ebay that is a new HD model with a case and a 16gig card for $329. Also, is this something that they are going to come out with a new model in a couple months and it would be worth it to wait for?

Thanks guys,
Josh
Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The HD model is pretty new, although the one a friend of mine just got is different from the one I bought in May. If you're going to watch the videos on and older TV, a laptop or your phone, the HD is probably not needed. If you're watching on a mid-size or larger HD TV, go for it.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an HD version. W/o a doubt, I'd buy the same again. I did a little searching and found mine a little cheaper.

The only complains I have about mine are as follows (same issues with both)...
Lack of a display screen can make setup hit and miss. Menu/navigation is very crude, but it works and it's often setup and left as is. You almost have to keep the owners manual (and I use that term very loosely!) with the camera should you want/need to change settings. The mounts, knobs, hinges, etc are pretty cheap, but they work and are probably what should be expected at this this price range.

With that said, the HD takes some amazing footage for a tiny $300 camera and is well worth the coin IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,161 Likes on 3,670 Posts

I have 2hd's that I have been expiermenting with, they are pretty cool and some great footage for the price.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the HP one. The only issue I have found is the Go Pro records in MP4 format and all the free editors are setup for MP3 so I have not been able to cut and splice any of the video. Can't email out 20mg video files and I have not been able to convert to edit these as of yet.

The little case it comes in is certainly waterproof and strong not to mention it kills all that annoying wind noise.

Did not get the suction cup mount as I feared it would blow off at high speeds, but friends say they are strong.

I am going to get a second one this week so I can film two things at once. Go Pro must have sold out as they are advertising like mad online and selling them in Costco, Sams, and everywhere. They have certainly hit it big time
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their the new rage at LOTO now, seems most guys are getting regs over the HD, I'm starting to look at them now too, for next Spring.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

We have the HD in stock ready to ship, PM me for a great price!
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine! Bought it here for $228.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOPRO...Q5fMerchandise
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
I got the HP one. The only issue I have found is the Go Pro records in MP4 format and all the free editors are setup for MP3 so I have not been able to cut and splice any of the video. Can't email out 20mg video files and I have not been able to convert to edit these as of yet.

The little case it comes in is certainly waterproof and strong not to mention it kills all that annoying wind noise.

Did not get the suction cup mount as I feared it would blow off at high speeds, but friends say they are strong.

I am going to get a second one this week so I can film two things at once. Go Pro must have sold out as they are advertising like mad online and selling them in Costco, Sams, and everywhere. They have certainly hit it big time
I'm finding them in surf shops down here now. I use the suction cup mount on my jetski and as long as you put it on dry, it will stay on. I still tie it off as I do a lot of wave jumping with mine.

Editing hints: http://www.squared5.com/

Get MPEG streamclip. It's a free converter. You can easily trim off heads and tails, but it will allow you convert to something like a .mov file, which is editor friendly.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Get the HD version if you want your postage stamp size to look good you have to start out with a lot of data to start with.

As well if you want t full screen image you want at least 720P capability.

You can always step the image down in size software but you can never make the picture you shot better.

The suction cup mount held up fine in ocean haul- Azz moderately choppy conditions for me.

We start getting to it at about 1:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCEK570stY

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.