Like Tree3Likes

Miami to New York Record?

Reply
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 AM
  #21
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
Google Earth has the distance from Government Cut in Miami to Statue of Liberty as 1,185 miles doing a coastal route as shown. At 19.3 hrs that is an average of 61.4 MPH.
I would require 2 refuelling stops or with an auxiliary fuel bladder, 1 stop. I was out testing props with Trond today and had a set on that increased my efficiency from 1 MPG to 1.2 MPG at 60 MPH but there were still some issues with those to resolve.
A record that as far as I know that has never been established is from Key West right up the middle of the Gulf to New Orleans is something that I would like to do. Hmmm maybe something for summer 2011 ??
Bob

I am in for a Crew position if you are serious
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 AM
  #22
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default

Here ia a few items and information I gathered a while back on endurance runs.



Joe, Jon & Charlie have just won the "Around Long Island" deal and Tom gave a whack at beating the three hour and change time last weekend. The Brits seem to be gearing for there " Around Britain" race in 2011 (they did it in 2008, here is a 90 minute documentary about it; http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21439 ), I just read stuff here about Britain to Monaco coming back to life...Charlie (TopBanana here)and HORBA are working on Miami - Key West deal, these Powerboat Mag guys should read more of what us "nitwits" online are posting on message boards.

Plus Bob (Bobthebuilder here) knocked Key West to Cancun down couple years back... http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-jennifur.html


As for other long distance stuff here are a few I gathered a while back, those indeed have been left alone for a while;

I guess Miami to NY would be held by the Gentry Eagle;
http://www.gentryeagle.com/page4.html

CHAPMAN TROPHY 1988
Miami to New York
Boat: Gentry Eagle
Record time: 19 hours & 17 minutes

It refers to the "Charles F Chapman Trophy" apparently this gentlemen;
http://www.motorboating.com/articleHtml.jsp?ID=21015985
http://www.chapman.org/index.php?main=2&nav=12

The trophy is apparently form "Motorboating Magazine";
Article June 1963...
"Anyone looking for a new trophy? Motorboating Magazine has placed the Charles F. Chapman Trophy into competition. It will be awarded to any motorboat owner who runs his boat from*Miami*to New York faster than Sam Griffith did with his Bertram rig last year.
Those who try, but fail to improve on Griffith's mark, will get certificates.
Chapman is the boatman who navigated for Gar Wood on the record-breaking 1921 Miami-New York trip. No one did it faster until Griffith came along 41 years later."

Holder as far as I can see of this trophy have been the following;

1962 Sam Griffith / Bertram

1964 Charles Johnson / 31h 32m same article as below

1974 August Dr. Bob Magoon / 22h 41min 15sec /40 Foot Cigarette... ref;
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...37/1/index.htm

There is reference to a try in 1976 by Billy Martin in NJ no idea how it worked out, here;





I think this is the one that interests me however.... for now;
Tampa-Miami 3:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES

Originally Posted by*SHARKEY-IMAGES*
From SBI's website:

Fabio Buzzi Sets new Super Boat International World Record Run from*Tampa*to*Miami*

MIAMI, FLORIDA – November 25, 2004 – Key West World Championship racer sets a new Super Boat International World Record run from*Tampa*to*Miami. After racing in a three race format World Championship Race in Key West and winning the title of World Champion in his class on November 21st, legendary racer Fabio Buzzi placed his FB Design vee bottom race boat on a trailer and headed for the*Tampa*Skyway Bridge. Fabio had one more feat for his boat before it headed back to Italy, which was to make a new record run.*

At 7:41:00am on Tuesday morning, the Sony boat was back in the water with a crew of three and heading for the marker at the entrance of*Miami’s Government Cut, it arrived at 11:28:30am. It took the crew 3hrs-47min-30sec to make the trip, beating the old record of 3hrs-57min-00sec. Fabio Buzzi accomplished this amazing triumph with his 47’ FB Design hu
Isotta Fraschini diesel engines with tri max drives.*

Super Boat International Productions, Inc. sanctioned this record run and owns the rights. The official timers were Bill Livingston from*Tampa*and Gary Ballough in*Miami.*

Congratulations to Fabio Buzzi’s crew Gianfranco Zanon, Monica Rapezzotti, and Binda Antonio all from Italy.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ld-record.html



GL

Last edited by GLH; 10-26-2010 at 05:51 AM.
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM
  #23
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS Crew View Post
Let me pose a question.
would fans, media, tv, promoters, and sponsors be interested in haveing a few of these long distance ocean races (or record runs) a year?

I think it would be great to have a fleet of boats try to set some of these old long distance runs.
They would be much more interested in a long distance RACE IMHO. The ability to run some super hotrod 30-50 miles from Houston to Galveston, or LA to Long Beach pales in comparison to races from 200 to 1000 miles, that take weeks of preparation for multiple teams. The around Long Island race was a good start and Cowes-Torquay-Cowes was also quite successful. There is serious talk about a 5 race series next year with 2 races in Europe and 3 in the U.S.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 AM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Here and There
My Boats: 36' Apache
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
Key West to where the Mississippi dumps into the Gulf is 560 miles or 590 miles to Cat Island just outside NO. We could do that non stop by taking on less than 200 extra gallons of fuel. Its been on my mind for a while now.
That looks like a blast!!!
baywatch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 AM
  #25
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiekw View Post
Last i heard Gentry had the record at 19 hours & 17 minutes, he beat Morales's record by less than an hour...
I know that Gentry and Fabio both made attempts...did they beat Morales time?...or did they set monohull records?

I can't remember precisely....senior moment. We video taped the Miami-NY race and all I know for sure is that George took off in darkness with Popeyes and 2 other boats, Sandy Satullo and Tom Gentry, starting at random times (Ben Kramer's diesel Apache never made the start).....and he ended the following afternoon in NY Harbor.... I recall a 17+ hour number but I might be mistaken.

Getting old I guess......

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
  #26
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
My Boats: 2004 29 Outlaw
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
Key West to where the Mississippi dumps into the Gulf is 560 miles or 590 miles to Cat Island just outside NO. We could do that non stop by taking on less than 200 extra gallons of fuel. Its been on my mind for a while now.
I think this should be your next trip!! Stay out of the Mississippi and finish at the New Orleans yacht club or Landry's seafood resteraunt on the lake front (Lake Ponchartrain).
jmeng is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
  #27
Registered
 
SS930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At the office.
My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16
Posts: 6,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
They would be much more interested in a long distance RACE IMHO. The ability to run some super hotrod 30-50 miles from Houston to Galveston, or LA to Long Beach pales in comparison to races from 200 to 1000 miles, that take weeks of preparation for multiple teams. The around Long Island race was a good start and Cowes-Torquay-Cowes was also quite successful. There is serious talk about a 5 race series next year with 2 races in Europe and 3 in the U.S.

T2x
I agree. It would seem there appears to be some renewed interest and momentum in these long distance races. I think the next two or three years should really show whether there's a future in it. If the proposed races happen and a following builds, I suspect a Miami to NY race could be not only a reality, but likely the one to win. Time will time...

BTW, sign me in as crew too for a around LI or Miami to NY race!
SS930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
  #28
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
They would be much more interested in a long distance RACE IMHO. The ability to run some super hotrod 30-50 miles from Houston to Galveston, or LA to Long Beach pales in comparison to races from 200 to 1000 miles, that take weeks of preparation for multiple teams. The around Long Island race was a good start and Cowes-Torquay-Cowes was also quite successful. There is serious talk about a 5 race series next year with 2 races in Europe and 3 in the U.S.

T2x
Rich I think there is room for both the long race and a record run

You are aware i am talking to Charlie about setting up one of the USA races here but i think a few record runs would be good for a bit of exposure as well(cant hurt)
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 AM
  #29
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Rich I think there is room for both the long race and a record run

You are aware i am talking to Charlie about setting up one of the USA races here but i think a few record runs would be good for a bit of exposure as well(cant hurt)
I have no problem with record runs...except...the randomness of the efforts.

One guy decides to do Tampa-Miami, another does Chicago-Detroit, a third St Louis-New Orleans, etc, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, we are, once again, diluting an already diluted Offshore racing effort......

It's a free country and I support that unequivocally, but the meager publicity and sponsor opportunities currently available are only weakened by a myriad of disjointed, uncoordinated efforts.

I take nothing away from anyone that would attempt long distance record attempts and respect any true success in those efforts. I am simply sensitive to the diverse "ideas" that seem to split the sport in endless ways.

Since I am on my soap box let me present the following:

1. All record attempts and races should be held under APBA/UIM sanction only. This is the oldest (and only) true worldwide recognized sanctioning body, and we sure don't need more than one. Other local organizations (NPBA, OPA, etc) can, and should, handle race promotion, but the sanctioning, recording, safety standards, and rule making should be APBA/UIM only.

2. Keep the "classes" simple and limited in number (4 max).

3. Let cats run against vees in big seas races....if one design is better than another, so be it ( i doubt it in long distance enduros...but maybe). That's the American way and the essence of true competition.

4. Base the TV Programming on preparation, character development, the interaction of people, actual racing footage, and GPS tracking, in that order.... Nobody really wants to watch boats droning on for hours (even yours), but they love "The deadliest catch" style highlight programming.

5. Don't cheapen the product with random "follow up" attempts. The recent Don Aonow Memorial Around Long Island Race and others like it should be held once a year. Imagine how the Indy 500 would lose appeal if, in the weeks after Memorial Day, various race teams came back and ran 500 miles alone in an effort to set a new record....!!!

6. Keep all of this coordinated to give meaning to each accomplishment.......

Offshore racing is down to a handful of boats and is still battered by too many sanctioning bodies, competition models, and classes. Let's put it back to what it was always meant to be, an internationally recognised, simple competition between men and the sea.....

Nuff said,

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 10-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
  #30
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
I have no problem with record runs...except...the randomness of the efforts.

One guy decides to do Tampa-Miami, another does Chicago-Detroit, a third St Louis-New Orleans, etc, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, we are, once again, diluting an already diluted Offshore racing effort......

It's a free country and I support that unequivocally, but the meager publicity and sponsor opportunities currently available are only weakened by a myriad of disjointed, uncoordinated efforts.

I take nothing away from anyone that would attempt long distance record attempts and respect any true success in those efforts. I am simply sensitive to the diverse "ideas" that seem to split the sport in endless ways.

Since I am on my soap box let me present the following:

1. All record attempts and races should be held under APBA/UIM sanction only. This is the oldest (and only) true worldwide recognized sanctioning body, and we sure don't need more than one. Other local organizations (NPBA, OPA, etc) can, and should, handle race promotion, but the sanctioning, recording, safety standards, and rule making should be APBA/UIM only.

2. Keep the "classes" simple and limited in number (4 max).

3. Let cats run against vees in big seas races....if one design is better than another, so be it ( i doubt it in long distance enduros...but maybe). That's the American way and the essence of true competition.

4. Base the TV Programming on preparation, character development, the interaction of people, actual racing footage, and GPS tracking, in that order.... Nobody really wants to watch boats droning on for hours (even yours), but they love "The deadliest catch" style highlight programming.

5. Don't cheapen the product with random "follow up" attempts. The recent Don Aonow Memorial Around Long Island Race and others like it should be held once a year. Imagine how the Indy 500 would lose appeal if, in the weeks after Memorial Day, various race teams came back and ran 500 miles alone in an effort to set a new record....!!!

6. Keep all of this coordinated to give meaning to each accomplishment.......

Offshore racing is down to a handful of boats and is still battered by too many sanctioning bodies, competition models, and classes. Let's put it back to what it was always meant to be, an internationally recognised, simple competition between men and the sea.....

Nuff said,

T2x
For the most part I agree rich

Simple tag line for this is "less classes More Asses" and i dont mean the pain in the butt asses LOL (i now you would have gone there) LOL
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.