Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
extended warranty questions? >

extended warranty questions?

Notices

extended warranty questions?

Old 05-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Flaoffshore

Default extended warranty questions?

The 1 year factory warranty is expiring on my 2001 twin 7.4 mercruser engines this week. Does everyone reccomend going with Merc/Qgaurd or one of the aftermarket companies? Also, does anyone offer a discount on the mercruiser/qguard warranty of is that a set price? Thanks for any input!!!

Old 05-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Doller Offshore

Default Extended Warranty

Well, an extended warranty is a great value, and from our experience with different companies, we have always found the Mercury to be the best. Since we are a Mercury dealer, and you will most likely be taking your boat to a Mercury dealer, I would recommend you go that route. Some of the other companies, or the repair facilities you take you boat to may require you to pay the bill yourself, and then get re-imbursed. As with anything, you should check out all options, and this board is a great way to do it!
As far as pricing goes, All Mercury dealers have to sell at the list price, legally extended warranty cannot be discounted.
If you would like more information from us, please e-mail me.
[email protected]

Old 05-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Ya, what got boat said. I have the q-guard and it has been great. I bought my boat used so I only had to pay a $50 transfer fee. I have had 4-5K worth of warranty work done.

Dave M
Old 05-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Flaoffshore

Is is true that only dealers in florida are not allowed to discount the warranty as it is considered insurance? What if I purchase it from a out of state dealer? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Flaoffshore

Anyone?

Old 05-16-2002, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about the out of state thing...but I would highly recommend buying the warrantees. It's cheap insurance when you compare it to the cost of some repairs and as we all know, there are rarely any "cheap" boat repairs (Break Out Another Thousand!)

Besides that, if you are considering selling the boat, it is a great selling feature.