Notices

Batteries

Old 05-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1: Possible but if the switch was installed by the factory I doubt it. Visually check wire routing and for proper connections before checking #2.

#2: Possible. You'll need a test light and the find the positive connection that's after the switch, batteries are before the switch. Connect light from that positive wire to ground with switch in off position. If the light lights, switch is bad.

When was the last time you checked the batteries with a hydrometer?
Or are they permenently sealed?
Many batteries look sealed but they aren't.
Have someone do a load test on the batteries. That'll tell you if you have a bad one or not.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:49 PM
283CHECK

Iggy

I'm gonna take alook at the wiring tonight, hopefully if it is not that we'll get any shorts found when the motor goes back in. I do have to replace one battery for sure, kinda hit the concrete hard one evening I'll have the other checked.

This will be the second season with this boat first season requires a new motor, hopefully second season won't be so bad.

chris

Old 05-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how old my batteries are. I bought the boat, used, in 2000. It's an '88 Formula.
The batteries are Delco Marine. One is a general use deep cycle type and the other is a cranking battery.
I've never had the batteries checked. I've never even taken them out of the boat.
I do keep the batt switch off when not in use.
I only have to charge them in the spring after sitting for three or four months (Florida winter). Even then they're not dead.

So far, so good.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:11 PM
283CHECK

These were supposedly new when we got the boat I did have some termanial issues early but they still won't hold a charge. Both are cranking batteries, probably replace with a deep cycle for radio and such and cranking for starting?

All I know is I'm ready to go boatin!!

Old 05-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont believe i have a battery drain their just 4yrs old and after sitting for awhilethey dont keep their charge. Theywere completely dead when i picked the boat up from storage, usually batteries dont come back to well after that. Anyway im fine with putting new batteries in and im comfortable that there is no drain. Were do you find the optima or stinger batteries? im from st louis who sells them at the lake.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Intolerant1

I use Walmarts batteries. I just took one off the storage charger thats been on it for a year and a half. Seems good as new. The main reason though is convience. No matter where I go theres a Walmart around if I need a replacment. They have 18 month warranty with a "no questions asked" return policy. $65 for there big deep cycle/starting battery. Sams has a similar battery at the same price but the warranty is 12 months.

Old 05-16-2002, 04:27 PM
283CHECK

I seen them lastnight, the price is not bad/1000cca's/and the sign said 9yrs warrnty 3yr free replacement. I didn't think that was all that bad?

Chris

Old 05-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick way to see if you have a big draw, pull a battery cable, if there is a decent spark what you reattach the cable there is a draw.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the world of Optimas. I had them in my Scarab for 4 years. Never touched them once. I just put 3 of them in my Sonic. Don't forget the cool Eddie Marine boxes for them. For all you people out there saying your too cheep for Optima's, Ya' ever been stranded?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Madcow you made mention of the eddie marine battery box's , is that because the optima will not fit in others? i have gill i think do you need different trays etc?

Quick Reply: Batteries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.