Notices

How do i Come into Racing?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Racing

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Just be cool and helpout when you can. Thats how i got started.
Bobby's post reminds me of how I met his good buddy Pat, who was with us for too short of a time, but I'm really glad I got to spend time with him. At the O.C. race a few years back, Bill Purnell had an engine problem in the Wanted 377 Cigarette. He asked for help. While a bunch of guys helped out, it was primarily Pat, a guy from Jersey (one-eyed Louie or something was his name...) and myself turning the wrenches. We started at 9:30 AM pulled an engine out of Bill's Kryptonite, an engine out of the Cig an the Kryptonite engine back in the Cig. I never met Pat before but he kept me laughing all day, especially when he did his throwing up hungover dog impression over on the grass and went right back to turning wrenches. Bill was back out testing by 2:45 PM and won his class on Sunday. It really is a fraternity, help people in any way you can and an opportunity will come up. I'll be in some P5 races this year, look us up.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Last edited by O.C.Barry; 01-26-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Hi,
If I can help you please drop me an e mail and I'll give you my phone number. There are definite paths to take, organizations to help you and some pretty fine people that share your passion.
Steve David U-1
1996-98 APBA President
gavinw711
Take Steve up on his offer he is very helpful!
Brad
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Bobby's post reminds me of how I met his good buddy Pat, who was with us for too short of a time, but I'm really glad I got to spend time with him. At the O.C. race a few years back, Bill Purnell had an engine problem in the Wanted 377 Cigarette. He asked for help. While a bunch of guys helped out, it was primarily Pat, a guy from Jersey (one-eyed Louie or something was his name...) and myself turning the wrenches. We started at 9:30 AM pulled an engine out of Bill's Kryptonite, an engine out of the Cig an the Kryptonite engine back in the Cig. I never met Pat before but he kept me laughing all day, especially when he did his throwing up hungover dog impression over on the grass and went right back to turning wrenches. Bill was back out testing by 2:45 PM and won his class on Sunday. It really is a fraternity, help people in any way you can and an opportunity will come up. I'll be in some P5 races this year, look us up.
I sure do miss that guy too. You should have seen him when we were racing together it was a mess.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Pat

I sure do miss that guy too. You should have seen him when we were racing together it was a mess.
Even though they are gone, I'll still feel like Pat, Gary Brightwell, and Ron Doller, will be with me out there.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Wow having been there even 5 and 6 class will cost you a minimum of 5k per venue to house,eat and maintain equiptment. It is fact it avereges back and forth but it is an expierience I will not forget and working to revisit sooner than later. Better addicted to racing than dope! Maybe?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Donzilla
Wow having been there even 5 and 6 class will cost you a minimum of 5k per venue to house,eat and maintain equiptment. It is fact it avereges back and forth but it is an expierience I will not forget and working to revisit sooner than later. Better addicted to racing than dope! Maybe?
Jim,
Would sure like to see your team back out on the OPA circut.It should be a great 2011 racing season.

Mark H.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

feedback has been great, thanks to each and everyone who has taken the time to reach out to me, i have already gained a huge amount of knowledge and understanding for the sport. As excited as i am, i hate to say it but at the same time i cant help but be a little disappointed. I understand its our choice for the kind of sport/lifestyle/hobby whatever way you look at it but if your spending 5k a weeknd with or without sponsors i dont even know? that adds up!! unless your reeling in big money which Im sure most of you are. Ive gained so much more respect for everyone in the sport but hopefully sponsors will reach out so the sport can grow, also when time comes to race i will definitely contact those who reached out to me. If anyone has a team already and needs help launching cleaning the boot small stuff etc etc so maybe i can get some experience let me know ill see what i can do, thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with Gavin. Im in the north east and if need be Id be glad to be a Goffer and get the exsperience as one day id like to do some P6. I do all my own rigging and wrenching so i have a great backround. And thankyou Gavin for this thread I never though to start one and I dont want to take your thunder either.
-Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

I've never heard the question put quite that way.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
OK, now that you know racing cost a fortune, start off by attending races.
There are always teams looking for help, Start off by going to the pits. Most of the smaller teams (class 5 and 6) race on a (tight) budget, and appreciate any help they can get. "Pit Lizards" are always helpful-weather its helping launching the boat, moving the trailer, running for parts, etc.. This is a good way to make new friends, learn about racing, and have a great time. Even if you're not with a specific team, helping at the ramp or the crane is always appreciated. Although there isn't any money helping out, you will make some wonderful friends! Once you show up a some races and help out, this is how you here about someone needing a driver or throttleman for testing, or a position open for a race.
Good Luck, if you have any questions, PM me.
Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up
Good Answer Bob!!!

Just be cool and helpout when you can. Thats how i got started.
Really do you want me to even go there with this comment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.