Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy this one.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35397-en.html
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gunna jump in this one to, my names cory smith im the new guy. I live in daytona beach and recently graduated from wyotech. I really want to try to pursue a career in offshore racing and i was just wondering if anyone could me some ideas as of places to try and work or some kind of direction it would be greatly appreciated. And also does anyone know if any races come this way besides the ones in cocoa in march
Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
wot

Originally Posted by gavinw711
...but if your spending 5k a weeknd with or without sponsors i dont even know? that adds up!!...
5K a race in a class 5 -or- 6 boat maybe correct for a contender but it seems very high; I don't know...

If the owner is paying all team expenses and averaging all costs annually by the number of races attended; perhaps?

Sponsors are a double edged sword; it's all about the contract. I would option not.

Jump right in a buy a cheap decent old deep V, find someone w/past experience for your team, do all the work yourselves and run OPA races close to home. In this context; you'll find the cost to be relatively inexpensive. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Racer
Racer

We roll pretty cheap with price line hotels, packed coolers for food and drinks and pack the whole crew into a double room.

The most I ever spent on a weekends race was driving from Michigan To Maryland and it was just over 900.0 bucks. That included gas for the boat, gas for the van and food.

Don't even try to think you will make money, just do it because its fun.. No pressure. If you have to work one weekend and cant race no big deal. If you have extra money and can do an out of town race you weren't planning on doing; than do it.

The moment you feel "you have to race" this weekend it starts losing the fun part and your done.

Get a small class 6 or 5 boat that can be used for race and pleasure and have at it.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
We roll pretty cheap with price line hotels, packed coolers for food and drinks and pack the whole crew into a double room.

The most I ever spent on a weekends race was driving from Michigan To Maryland and it was just over 900.0 bucks. That included gas for the boat, gas for the van and food.

Don't even try to think you will make money, just do it because its fun.. No pressure. If you have to work one weekend and cant race no big deal. If you have extra money and can do an out of town race you weren't planning on doing; than do it.

The moment you feel "you have to race" this weekend it starts losing the fun part and your done.

Get a small class 6 or 5 boat that can be used for race and pleasure and have at it.
Okay 950.00 is super low budget! I am talking with maintenance,food,hotels,fuels and misc. You can,t tell a team it is gonna cost them 950.00 at every race. First I didn't travel from NJ to Michigan without taking the drive apart and going through it $$ because I am a carpenter (can't do it)and if I get there and blow a drive I just wasted time and more money. Fluid changes $ again you know why. Tire blow outs on the turnpike. Another instance point race incurred delamination $$$ and on and on it goes so be prepared for something over 950.00 it is not realistic. All I can say is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I was my sponser for the most part other than my very good friend my driver and mechanic devoting their own time (countless hours) and support to make it happen, it still takes doe and 6 and 5 class are possibly the most fun you could ever have because it is not a full time job it is a hobby that is an addiction. Rick not dising you guys at all!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Donzilla
Okay 950.00 is super low budget! I am talking with maintenance,food,hotels,fuels and misc. You can,t tell a team it is gonna cost them 950.00 at every race. First I didn't travel from NJ to Michigan without taking the drive apart and going through it $$ because I am a carpenter (can't do it)and if I get there and blow a drive I just wasted time and more money. Fluid changes $ again you know why. Tire blow outs on the turnpike. Another instance point race incurred delamination $$$ and on and on it goes so be prepared for something over 950.00 it is not realistic. All I can say is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I was my sponser for the most part other than my very good friend my driver and mechanic devoting their own time (countless hours) and support to make it happen, it still takes doe and 6 and 5 class are possibly the most fun you could ever have because it is not a full time job it is a hobby that is an addiction. Rick not dising you guys at all!
no offense taken. I was also brought to my attention we did 5 Days in Orange Beach with food, condo and fuel for under 1500.00

Price Line, packing your own coolers with pops water and food are great ways to save money. You would be surprised how much you spend eating out when you don't need to (Plus home cooking is healthier cooking)

travel costs are travel cost.. that never changes. The unknown factor of blown engines, blown drives, flat tires & bail money you can never really planed for.

But like I said you need to keep it fun, once its not fun your done.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
wot

You'll find no argument; jbs should have been; and needs to be salvaged @ the orgs expense. jmo\