Notices

Buying a winter boat.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a boat without a test ride. It was risky im sure. I drove 8 hrs to chicago and picked it up. When i showed up, they had the dyno hooked to it, paperwork complete and detailed to boot. I was pretty impressed. Made the trip back and went strait to the boat ramp that evening. It ran great and I cant complain at all.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm reading this right, the engine/engines are out and on the shelf? Why? Not realistic to get a survey done on a boat that is without engines and survey will reflect that. So a sea trial is out of the question anyway without installing the engine/s. I also assume that you aren't going to be the person re-installing them and would have to pay to have that done or figure it into the cost of the boat deal with the seller? Sounds to me like your still in the looking stage since you asked if anyone knew of an available boat. There are thousands of boats and sellers out there and great deals to be made. Try not to get in too far over your head on what I also assume is your first powerboat? Find a running boat that the seller can demonstrate hoe it runs and show you with a ride. Know your budget and driving capabilities and research the expences after you purchase it. Lots of hidden costsin any boat ownership. My 2cts
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
If I'm reading this right, the engine/engines are out and on the shelf? Why? Not realistic to get a survey done on a boat that is without engines and survey will reflect that. So a sea trial is out of the question anyway without installing the engine/s. I also assume that you aren't going to be the person re-installing them and would have to pay to have that done or figure it into the cost of the boat deal with the seller? Sounds to me like your still in the looking stage since you asked if anyone knew of an available boat. There are thousands of boats and sellers out there and great deals to be made. Try not to get in too far over your head on what I also assume is your first powerboat? Find a running boat that the seller can demonstrate hoe it runs and show you with a ride. Know your budget and driving capabilities and research the expences after you purchase it. Lots of hidden costsin any boat ownership. My 2cts

Some of my posting was a little lighthearted jabbing with another poster, inside joke if you may. I apologize if it confused the original question.

One of the boats I am considering has the engine out getting a rebuild and will be dynoed and reinstalled upon a scheduled visit.

Not my first boat at all but my first true performance boat. The seller with the engine out has been more than accomodating for the dyno witness ,install, on water test , just to be clear. Thanks for all the input, its nice to see differing opinions.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

i bought my boat sight unseen (well i saw 6 pictures), no survey, and not hearing it run. so im a bad person to comment on this topic. but seriously make him an offer that even under worst case scenario you feel comfortable with. if he doesnt take it, keep looking.........