Like Tree0Likes

Buying a winter boat.

Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
My Boats: 2014 Crest 250 Tritoon -300 Verado Pro ,
Posts: 190
Default Buying a winter boat.

How would you go about purchasing a boat from a private party during winter ? I would like a survey and on water demo ride before buying but most boats are in storage during this time of year. If I wait for better weather some one els e may snatch it up not caring about the demo? Am I being to practical here?
smoker62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LI, New York
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post
How would you go about purchasing a boat from a private party during winter ? I would like a survey and on water demo ride before buying but most boats are in storage during this time of year. If I wait for better weather some one els e may snatch it up not caring about the demo? Am I being to practical here?
If you haven an agreed upon price, have the guy unwrap the boat, de-winterize, and go for the ride. If you're going down and hiring a surveyor ($$$), it shows your commitment to the boat. As long as there no ice, bring a hat, goggles, and a warm coat to your water demo
Mastercraft240 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
My Boats: 2014 Crest 250 Tritoon -300 Verado Pro ,
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 View Post
If you haven an agreed upon price, have the guy unwrap the boat, de-winterize, and go for the ride. If you're going down and hiring a surveyor ($$$), it shows your commitment to the boat. As long as there no ice, bring a hat, goggles, and a warm coat to your water demo
What if the motor is on the shelf ?? I dont need no stinkin hat , I still have hair and I am from WI. Besides I am looking for a boat fast enough to blow a hat off , you know of any?
smoker62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
  #4
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,920
Default

1) Put a significant (refundable) deposit on the boat that gets your first right of refusal upon successful sea trial in the spring/when it's together.

or

2) Agree on a price which is caveat emptor and take it home tomorrow, pieces and all.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
  #5
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
US1 Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lafayette. IN
Posts: 10,868
Default

If I was sellig mine now, it'd be the 1st one with the cash. If you want to chance it and wait till spring, that's your call, but as a seller, the cash in hand now talks.
You know it is winter time, the motor is not installed. Can't expect a seller to hold on to it till spring if another buyer comes along willing to buy it now.

IMO, The refundabale deposit thing is fine when a week or 2 is the time frame, not months.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
US1 Fountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
My Boats: 2014 Crest 250 Tritoon -300 Verado Pro ,
Posts: 190
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
If I was sellig mine now, it'd be the 1st one with the cash. If you want to chance it and wait till spring, that's your call, but as a seller, the cash in hand now talks.
You know it is winter time, the motor is not installed. Can't expect a seller to hold on to it till spring if another buyer comes along willing to buy it now.

IMO, The refundabale deposit thing is fine when a week or 2 is the time frame, not months.
I have no problem with a seller taking the first cash deal. I would do the same. I also would not expect a seller to hold on to anything until spring waiting for me. Thats why I asked what you all would do.

I am not a buyer who will ante up without, at a minimum , a survey, and quite frankly a water test. Just wanted the general consensus on if you more experienced performance boaters think on water tests are a must. I can wait for another boat when water testing is a reality for the seller. There are more for sale every day .
smoker62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
  #7
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
US1 Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lafayette. IN
Posts: 10,868
Default

I understand your reasoning wanting to know full well what your are buying. I'm just pointing out from a sellers point of view. I have to assume if the guy has this boat listed for sale now, he is willing to sell it now as is, otherwise he'd hold out till spring when he can be more accomodating to list it.
Kinda makes you weigh your options if its 'the' boat.

Good luck
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.
US1 Fountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
My Boats: 2014 Crest 250 Tritoon -300 Verado Pro ,
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
I understand your reasoning wanting to know full well what your are buying. I'm just pointing out from a sellers point of view. I have to assume if the guy has this boat listed for sale now, he is willing to sell it now as is, otherwise he'd hold out till spring when he can be more accomodating to list it.
Kinda makes you weigh your options if its 'the' boat.

Good luck
Understood, appreciate the input.
smoker62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WI
My Boats: 2014 Crest 250 Tritoon -300 Verado Pro ,
Posts: 190
Default

Sorry for the deleted posts. My computer is freezing and double posting . I feel a crash coming on,
smoker62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LI, New York
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
I understand your reasoning wanting to know full well what your are buying. I'm just pointing out from a sellers point of view. I have to assume if the guy has this boat listed for sale now, he is willing to sell it now as is, otherwise he'd hold out till spring when he can be more accomodating to list it.
Kinda makes you weigh your options if its 'the' boat.

Good luck
Agreed.
Mastercraft240 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.