Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Racing Introduces 1100 >

Mercury Racing Introduces 1100

Notices

Mercury Racing Introduces 1100

Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.
Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.
They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.
ha ha, thats awesome. i do agree that they will be a big seller. hoping they dial it down to a 900hp soon.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I'm not an engine builder by any definition of the word, nor am I an engineer, or even smart enough to fully understand the finer points of valve train geometry, etc.... however... I think pushrod motors as a whole are old tech, borderline archaic.

The real development here for me is the pioneering of a DOHC head that works in the marine industry. Our world is sustained high RPMs.... taking a good number of the moving parts out of the equation is a no brainer.

I've always been hopeful that someone would develop a retrofit for BBCs that would use DOHCs... and WORK. Everytime I push my boat hard I can't help but think of what's going on inside of a head.

Just my 2 cents.
What? Do some research and you will see that the OHC design is pretty much almost as old as the pushrod engine. They are bulkier and actually probably have just as many moving parts than a pushrod engine.

Pushrod engines can be made to rev well past 8k so running at 5-6k in a boat is really not putting a ton of stress on the internals.

In short a BBC retrofit kit would not yield any substantial benefits for the cost outlay.