Like Tree0Likes

Mercury Racing Introduces 1100

Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
  #51
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default

That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
  #52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapseofReason View Post
That 1100 is going to sell like crazy, That is pretty much the motor I have been dreaming of. A 1000+hp on 89 oct. with rebuild times like a 525, with my maybe 100 hours a season run time I'll have 3 years of just fluid changes as long as I don't break something. Says on there web site to run the M8 on heavy boats and the nxt/ssm on lighter ones. I would go m8 just to make it more bulletproof.
Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.
ElimiNordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
  #53
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
Do you think at 172k each these will blow out the door? Thats with the NXT/#6 drive.
They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
  #54
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 1000 islands ny
My Boats: roadster
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapseofReason View Post
They will never sell that high, I bet in less than a year you will be able to get them with the m8 for 100k or less. If you paid MSRP for every part that went into a boat a 25 Baja would cost 300k new.
ha ha, thats awesome. i do agree that they will be a big seller. hoping they dial it down to a 900hp soon.
dbhammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
  #55
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
My Boats: Donzi 35zr, Scarab SCS
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzaluski View Post
I'm not an engine builder by any definition of the word, nor am I an engineer, or even smart enough to fully understand the finer points of valve train geometry, etc.... however... I think pushrod motors as a whole are old tech, borderline archaic.

The real development here for me is the pioneering of a DOHC head that works in the marine industry. Our world is sustained high RPMs.... taking a good number of the moving parts out of the equation is a no brainer.

I've always been hopeful that someone would develop a retrofit for BBCs that would use DOHCs... and WORK. Everytime I push my boat hard I can't help but think of what's going on inside of a head.

Just my 2 cents.
What? Do some research and you will see that the OHC design is pretty much almost as old as the pushrod engine. They are bulkier and actually probably have just as many moving parts than a pushrod engine.

Pushrod engines can be made to rev well past 8k so running at 5-6k in a boat is really not putting a ton of stress on the internals.

In short a BBC retrofit kit would not yield any substantial benefits for the cost outlay.
freshwaterfiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.