Notices

Boat Cover Cleaning?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor
Throw it in a swimming pool overnight. I have a full black cover on my Fountain CC and thats how I clean it. Works amazing and no work other than vacuming the pool. The chlorine in the pool isnt enough to hurt the cover but will kill/remove any mold/mildew. You might need some brick to weigh it down.
Next best is to soak it in a garbage can or big rubbermaid bin with the same chlorine content as a pool. Agittae now and then. rinse well.
I'm just trying to picture how you stumbled across this solution the first time
Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soonenough
Ive thought about taking mine to a commercial cleaner and having them run it through the washing machine on delicate...
Has anyone tried that?

I did last year. My cover had a lot of mildew,dirt,pollen and pine sap on it. Called my normal cleaners and the gave me the number to one with a machine big enough to handle it. Cover cleaned up good but not perfect. We retreated it with scotch guard and its repelled water nicely for over a year. 60.00 for the dry cleaner and around 20.00 for the scotch guard.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered

Buy a $10 blue plastic kiddie pool and wash it in there.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

303 makes a fabric cleaner that is approved by Sunbrella and will not strip the weatherproofing.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor
Throw it in a swimming pool overnight. I have a full black cover on my Fountain CC and thats how I clean it. Works amazing and no work other than vacuming the pool. The chlorine in the pool isnt enough to hurt the cover but will kill/remove any mold/mildew. You might need some brick to weigh it down.
Next best is to soak it in a garbage can or big rubbermaid bin with the same chlorine content as a pool. Agittae now and then. rinse well.
I tried scrubbing for a while but it seemed endless. Broke out the pressure washer and i say im 68% their. How much chlorine to water in a kiddie pool do you think i should use. Is their a certain type of chlorine i should use also. Thanks for the help
Old 04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Buy a $10 blue plastic kiddie pool and wash it in there.
That is a great idea!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
I tried scrubbing for a while but it seemed endless. Broke out the pressure washer and i say im 68% their. How much chlorine to water in a kiddie pool do you think i should use. Is their a certain type of chlorine i should use also. Thanks for the help
That's what I was going to say. I lay mine out in the driveway and pressure wash it with one of those electric home power washer.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

All I could tell you is don't use that water repellant spray for canvas that they sell in West Marine. Had a brand new cockpit cover made in February, picked up a bottle of that stuff and sprayed the cover down. The next day went to check on the boat and the cover had blotches and runs all over it, the cover is ruined, having a new one made and keeping the old one for a spare.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by richanton
All I could tell you is don't use that water repellant spray for canvas that they sell in West Marine. Had a brand new cockpit cover made in February, picked up a bottle of that stuff and sprayed the cover down. The next day went to check on the boat and the cover had blotches and runs all over it, the cover is ruined, having a new one made and keeping the old one for a spare.
If you have any silver or carbon fiber vinyl that the cover will be in contact with dont use 303 either. It causes those colors to fade when the wet cover comes in contact with them.

Last edited by scarabman; 04-09-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: dont hold shift when typing numbers, duh
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

This is going to sound crazy, but all the advice i get from my area is use Thompsons Water Seal for decks to waterproof the cover. I have yet to try it but the guys ive talked to says it works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.