Like Tree0Likes

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Version of the CTS-V engine?

I'm looking at CC's, you can't beat the open-ness and utilitiy of one. Makes it much easier cruising with a larger group of friends and just running around.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: Cigarette Top Gun, Scarab Center Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

I'm looking at CC's, you can't beat the open-ness and utilitiy of one. Makes it much easier cruising with a larger group of friends and just running around.
Looks like an LS block.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"

The perception that outboards are more dependable is just that, a perception. We had a number of guys in our club who had souped up their outboards to gain more HP and they tended to break down like a souped up stern drive. If the outboards are left stock, they are super dependable, but so are Mercury stock engines and drives. It is when pushed beyond normal performance that anything can grenade, including outboards.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: Cigarette Top Gun, Scarab Center Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
The perception that outboards are more dependable is just that, a perception. We had a number of guys in our club who had souped up their outboards to gain more HP and they tended to break down like a souped up stern drive. If the outboards are left stock, they are super dependable, but so are Mercury stock engines and drives. It is when pushed beyond normal performance that anything can grenade, including outboards.
I think the point is the power to weight ratio on an outboard makes running a stock one more acceptable. Years ago I had a 30 scarab with 2 450 HP high strung I/O motors that went 65 MPH. now I have a 30 Scarab (same hull) with 2 250 HP stock outboards that goes the same speed, therein lies the dependibilty.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No to mention cutting down on weight. The new 4 strokes are getting lighter. I'd rather have my weight in the hull, not the engines. The day I start towing a boat if I ever get to Florida, it will be with an outboard.

That's where a CC outboard would pay real dividends, in salt water.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
It is no perception, it is fact. Outboards are more dependable primarily in the saltwater environment. In fresh water my inboard engines are reliable too. The close fitting cowling and the oily 2 strokes make for a huge anti corrosion advantage in saltwater. I think the 4 strokes keep the close fitting cowling advantage but lose the overall oiliness of the 2 stroke. I have run both types of engines for many years off and on or at the same time and I have never had corrosion on my outboards anywhere close to that of "car engines" adapted for marine use, in saltwater.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

Yes this is the Cadillac engine.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS930 View Post
What a great boat Brian! Do you have any orders for more of them to come out of the mold?
Thank you. Yes we have some deals going down. Things are busy at the shop!

Last edited by THEJOKER; 03-29-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Airking
VIP Member

My Boats: 36' Spectre 600SCI, 32' Glasstream SCX 300 Verado's, Excel 220 Bay Pro 200XS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
No to mention cutting down on weight. The new 4 strokes are getting lighter. I'd rather have my weight in the hull, not the engines. The day I start towing a boat if I ever get to Florida, it will be with an outboard.

That's where a CC outboard would pay real dividends, in salt water.
Also the good fuel mileage 1.5 to 2 mpg at a 45 to 50 cruise makes for good range with a 200 gal tank.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Yes this is the Cadillac engine.
nice thats a sweet heart of an engine, torque everywhere.