Notices

Vinyl Cleaning

Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Thanks I live in St. Clair Shores, MI I don't know what the stain is I just bought the boat in the fall but the little stain bothers me, I have tried Soft Scrub and Bio Kleen and a brush.
Try Bleach White. Spray it on a wet rag and rub. It took every stain out of my seats. The deniem blue jean stains as well. You can get it at any auto parts store.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Steven,
Can we see some pics of your families Eliminator please?? It's only fair.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM

WOW what a plethora of products!!!

Ive used simple green before, however, i have noticed some of the color from my vinyl coming off on the rag!!!!

So this is why I asked this question.

I have used other meguires products before on cars and trucks, I noticed today at west marine that they have a "marine/RV" vinyl and rubber cleaner and protectant. Deep cleans, restores, and protects from UV damage.

I value all of your reccomendations and advice. Nothing speaks like experience!!

So, do I try the stuff from meguires?? Or go with what the offshore boyz are telling me about the 303????

hummmmmm???

I'm still confused!!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used "Diluted" simple green on all sorts of vinyl, of all colors, and have NEVER had any color come off??
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblue
WOW what a plethora of products!!!

Ive used simple green before, however, i have noticed some of the color from my vinyl coming off on the rag!!!!

So this is why I asked this question.

I have used other meguires products before on cars and trucks, I noticed today at west marine that they have a "marine/RV" vinyl and rubber cleaner and protectant. Deep cleans, restores, and protects from UV damage.

I value all of your reccomendations and advice. Nothing speaks like experience!!

So, do I try the stuff from meguires?? Or go with what the offshore boyz are telling me about the 303????

hummmmmm???

I'm still confused!!
From a protectant standpoint, there is simply nothing better than 303 Aerospace protectant. Just make sure you use enough to let it soak into the stitching. Some of the cleaners mentioned here (Lacquer Thinner for instance) scare the hell out of me and will destroy your vinyl by removing all the plasticizers. Others will "clean" the vinyl, but rot out the stitching over time. So, using a high grade product like 303 will at least minimize any damage to the stitching and protect your vinyl.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat
I have used "Diluted" simple green on all sorts of vinyl, of all colors, and have NEVER had any color come off??
Maybe what I did was use an undiluted batch when that happened?? Did the simple green work well diluted?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
From a protectant standpoint, there is simply nothing better than 303 Aerospace protectant. Just make sure you use enough to let it soak into the stitching. Some of the cleaners mentioned here (Lacquer Thinner for instance) scare the hell out of me and will destroy your vinyl by removing all the plasticizers. Others will "clean" the vinyl, but rot out the stitching over time. So, using a high grade product like 303 will at least minimize any damage to the stitching and protect your vinyl.
So would a vinyl cleaner be good to "clean" then protect with 303? or should I just stick to 303?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, I've tried just about every cleaner in existence. The best vinyl cleaner I have used is Spray Nine. Dilution is not required. For a little more cleaning power, use Spray Nine with the Magic Eraser. The Eraser is slightly abrasive, so watch out when using on colored vinyl. You can use them together for extra cleaning power. You can also use the Eraser without Spray Nine. As other have stated, follow up with 303.

You can use agents with bleach, but use sparingly, as the bleach will dry out the vinyl and stitching.

Whatever you use, I would use use 303 as the finishing application.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what Cigarette recommended from the factory

http://stores.ztuffstuff.com/StoreFront.bok
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblue
So would a vinyl cleaner be good to "clean" then protect with 303? or should I just stick to 303?
303 is just a protectant. There are no cleaning agents in it at all.