Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BEST way to remove mold??? >

BEST way to remove mold???

Notices

BEST way to remove mold???

Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little worried myself, but upon further investigation, the water was coming in from a flip up bow marker light that did not have the cup under it to catch the water, and the boat was covered during the week so it all added up. I am just looking for the tried and true ways instead posting what dosent work. gotta watch when people rig a boat, cut a corner here and save $75. and it cost $5000.00 for a new interior from mold!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, be careful using chlorine bleach, especially belowdecks or near any metal (corrosive). It's also only really effective on hard surfaces. Doesn't penetrate in substances like wood, and the mold can return. But it will kill mold on fiberglass, if that's the only affected material fine.

Distilled white vinegar kills 80% of mold strains and won't hurt your marine vinyl or carpeting. But it's also an acid, so again use caution around metal.

See, it's hard to get "tried and true" glib advice with marine mold remediation -- there are ifs ands and buts given all the different mold strains and various substances the spores grow in/on. You don't want to solve one problem by creating another.