Notices

KE Valve Covers CURE????

Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousnolan
I could give a chit who it is, KE-Lighting whoever, all I know is I paid $1000 for a pair of covers that out of a total re-rig and NEW POWER are the only things making a mess!!!! Problem at hand is I spent $$$$ for a product that does not work and on top of that has a NEGATIVE effect on my investment. And the reputable "KE" does not give 2 chits!!!!!!
Well, you must give a Chit because, you are on here with a pair of $1000 valve covers that leak. So, I took a little time of my own and drove 35miles north to see Keith Eickert, the man, to ask him directly about your problem. Keith Eickert Performance Products is just a name that is owned by CP Performance/Hardin Marine. Please research back about 8 years ago to find out how KEPP was acquired. The KE Valve Covers, that CP Performance/Hardin Marine sells, are manufactured cheaply in China. Keith told me, that, along the top and bottom leading edge, that seats to the head, can fluctuate between .010 to .020 all the way across. Keith Eickert, along with Don Onken, operate and own Lightning Performance Group and manufacture the exact same valve covers, that are made to exacting standards right here in the U.S.A.

It was noted, by JoeD, that he had a set from 2002 that didn't leak at all. That was because they were still manufactured by Mr. Keith Eickert then, before CP Performance/Hardin Marine.

You can call and speak to Keith or Don anytime during the day to back up my claim at (309) 562-7271 or at www.lightningperformancegroup.com

Who did you buy the valve covers from?

Big Andy
Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leak, but I stopped that by running a thick bead of RTV around the inside of the base, then tightening the cover down onto it. Let it set up and boom, no more leak. It was pretty annoying to have to explain that drip line of oil to everyone.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
Mine leak, but I stopped that by running a thick bead of RTV around the inside of the base, then tightening the cover down onto it. Let it set up and boom, no more leak. It was pretty annoying to have to explain that drip line of oil to everyone.
AMEN
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Well on my NT witch had tripps and was a pain to work on I just had 2 real long bolts that I would screw in the front and year of the exhaust and slide it out of the way and pop the cover off and slide it back, never have to lift it. No leaks, bolts cost 3 bucks.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok this is the million dollar solution!! Its the o ring grove thats cut to deep!! Use a feeler gauge once you install the cover about .010 thick and stick it between the cover and the rail!! If it slides in with no problem the o ring aint doing Chit!! Take the cover off after marking the low spots and install pinstripe tape in the grove to tighten the low spots!! Install the o ring and some Ky and your set!!
It works perfect!! Bingo a dumb coonass solves KEs leak problem!! Your Welcome
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
LPG
Registered

Default The Solution

The Lightning Performance Group 2 piece valve cover is the only solution to have easy valve adjustments and no leaks. 100% made in the USA.
Attached Thumbnails KE Valve Covers CURE????-web-pic.jpg   KE Valve Covers CURE????-valve-cover-web.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousnolan
On a Poker Run it is way quicker and easier to pul an KE cover the make a quick adjustment or a fix if need be and yes we carry the spare parts, ya never know. As far as pulling the exhaust thats a great waste of time with the short season and amount of good weather we have here in NY. With the investment in the NEW power why start cutting cost on a cheap valve cover (unless you knew these would leak?). Just my .02
No worry's, I'm usually the one other people are asking to fix their boat at the poker runs.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LPG
The Lightning Performance Group 2 piece valve cover is the only solution to have easy valve adjustments and no leaks. 100% made in the USA.
Do you take trades?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by In The Pink
Here is a photo of a repaired set. These are not mine. Just mill the bottom edge at 45° as to let the oil flow down and not build up and flow over the side and down your exhaust. I would think smaller notches would work just as well.

Guess I'm the 2nd one in a million to have leaking KE covers..... I also have KE headers so the KE valve covers come in handy when it's time to get to the valve train.

Nolan - that's exactly what I did to my KE valve covers. Got the idea from Sutphen30 on Boatfreaks. Got mine in '07 or '08 I think, and they leaked like a bidch. I called KE (CP?? don't remember now) and they offered to send me new bases if I sent the old one's back. Screw that, I figured if there's no design change, the covers would still leak with the new bases, so why go thru the shipping back and forth BS. I used a single flute carbide bit then a 150 grit (or so) drum in my cheapie Sears elec die grinder to 45 the edges of the bases, and no more leaking... period!!

You'd think KE (or whoever) would just take peoples schidt bases back and mill them as seen in the pics. Took me an hour or so. If KE set up a machine to do it, it would prolly only take a few minutes, and they'd avoid the bad press. Still have some oil and stains in my FRESHLY EPOXY PAINTED bilge from the KE covers leaking. And still pisses me off every time I lift the hatch.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

I got my KE covers in 2005 when I put the blower motors in my Dominator and they have never leaked. 3 years ago I had a base gasket go bad but I changed it and haven't had an issue since. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.