Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Drive Stuck in Up Position >

Drive Stuck in Up Position

Notices

Drive Stuck in Up Position

Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

remove all the oil lines from the rams and then jump up and down on it take the pump completly out of the eqaution
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
remove all the oil lines from the rams and then jump up and down on it take the pump completly out of the eqaution
We tried that. Nothing.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

take a blow gun from a compressor and put air pressure in the ports farthest away from the transom on the rams
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a long shot but have you checked the Trim height adjustment switch on the side of the drive??? Maybe it came loose and won't allow the drive back down. I think it's held in posistion with two philips head screws.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Go buy two new rams - install, move on.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Go buy two new rams - install, move on.
For 1g no thanks...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boating is fun, Isn't it ? For every problemless day, there is 15 problem days. Don't let anybody tell you different. It doesn't matter if you spend 50 grand or 500 grand, their is always a problem. If they made boats as reliable as cars, the boating industry would be screwed. They rely on boats being tempermental. Could you imagine that you would be happy if your car ran 100 hours and didn't need a complete re-build, like your boat engine(s). Crazy stuff. The technology is there. What about turbines ? They're supposed to be the most reliable things on the planet. Could you imagine if the " Apache" helicopters that all these turbine motors for boats supposedly came from performed in the choppers the same way they do in boats. Their would be an awful lot of fatalities. Turbines in planes are supposed to last " forever ". We all know that nothing lasts forever, but just imagine being in a plane and the captain talking to you on the intercom, and he says " we're running un-opposed on this flight, so we're going to slow it down so we don't break all of our equipment". My point is., a fast, high performance boat can be built to be reliable, someone just has to do it. It will piss off the other engine builders, but it can be done. PS, I absolutely do not have the knowledge to be a mechanic, but I'm just going with common sense, probably a mistake. Anyway. I said my piece, Godspeed
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed
This may be a long shot but have you checked the Trim height adjustment switch on the side of the drive??? Maybe it came loose and won't allow the drive back down. I think it's held in posistion with two philips head screws.
i will take a look at that tomorrow and let you know.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
take a blow gun from a compressor and put air pressure in the ports farthest away from the transom on the rams
someone told me a similar technique. another person said that if the rams are extended beyond operating travel they will get lodged and not want to move. the only thing to do is take them off completely and use something to squeeze it back down.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Take a long clamp bar and put it on both ends then tighten.

Moses - the reason I said buy rams is I had the same problem one year. could never get them back down and ended up the only solution was to grab two new (used) rams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.