Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Desert Storm Expanding in 2012 >

Desert Storm Expanding in 2012

Notices

Desert Storm Expanding in 2012

Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to give Nichols credit for not jumping at the chance to move to the golf coarse. It would be a better setup, but really would only bring $$$ to the city and the club. By setting up the street venue, local businesses (Who already have issue with outsiders) can enjoy the extra income and lighten up on the idea of the Poker Run coming to town. That town has more red tape than welcome signs and for Jim to have made the friends and allies he has to have the option to expand without resistance speaks volumes about the mans abuilities as a promoter. This year felt like it widened a gap between ultra ritch and enthusiests. I think having a small boat run would bring those whom may not be able to spend, nor want to spend hundreds of thousands on lake boating back into the mix. And we need to remember that Running a your first Poker Run can be intimidating, maybe better tried in a 27 Lavey than a 40 Skater? So let the new guys start small and work there way up to the bigger badder faster boats (If they even want to). And if not, I would like to see some of the old Campell works of art run together.
I for one would like to see the lurkers step up and pay to play. Every year people come from all over to watch the boats, run alongside and bar hop along with everyone else, all while not paying registration. This is low class and will either stunt the growth of the event, or shut it down altogether. Save up all year and give Jim the money for putting on the event... God knows the guy earned it!
My two cents and now stepping down from the soapbox.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The benefit of having it on the street vs the golf course is parking.There is plenty of parking on the side streets to absorb 40,000 people that showed up at this years event.The various businesses that are open on the street add to the economic event that the city desperatly needs.
I cant even imagine what it would be like trying to acess the golf course with one entrance and exit off the island.It would probably resemble industrial blvd trying to launch at windsor on memorial weekend.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skater40
The benefit of having it on the street vs the golf course is parking.There is plenty of parking on the side streets to absorb 40,000 people that showed up at this years event.The various businesses that are open on the street add to the economic event that the city desperatly needs.
I cant even imagine what it would be like trying to acess the golf course with one entrance and exit off the island.It would probably resemble industrial blvd trying to launch at windsor on memorial weekend.
X2
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
So what do you mean by the little boats? Eliminator and DCB are very nice boats, but they aren't 48 footers. So would you consider them "little boats" and worth your time to look at? Well to enjoy the event you really need a boat out there. If my memory serves me right your the guy
everyone clowns on in here because he doesn't have a boat and only begs and dreams of riding on everyone else's high end boat instead of getting your own. Instead of dreaming make moves to set yourself up to purchase one someday, I am
Ummmm, little boats are great,, don't twist what im saying..thats all I can afford.. but. all I'm saying is i'm really into the offshore style Skater's and MTIs, and boats like that... So that's why I attend DS every April.... I wouldn't make the 4hr drive and take time off work if the event didn't have those type's of boats there.... And yes I consider DCB and Eliminator big money boats... Have u seen the prices on a DCB M31/M35 lately?... also the workmanship is flawless.......I will never have enough money to buy a Skater or MTI, so it's nice to talk to the people that can and see these unbelievable boats in person 1 time per/year...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Ummmm, little boats are great,, don't twist what im saying..thats all I can afford.. but. all I'm saying is i'm really into the offshore style Skater's and MTIs, and boats like that... So that's why I attend DS every April.... I wouldn't make the 4hr drive and take time off work if the event didn't have those type's of boats there.... And yes I consider DCB and Eliminator big money boats... Have u seen the prices on a DCB M31/M35 lately?... also the workmanship is flawless.......I will never have enough money to buy a Skater or MTI, so it's nice to talk to the people that can and see these unbelievable boats in person 1 time per/year...
I understand what your saying because me and my son love to see those boats also, but there also some really nice boats that that aren't million dollar boats that people put their heart, soul, and hard earned dollar into fixing up as nice as they possibly can. Small boat or not, boats aren't cheap to buy, upkeep, store, insure, and much less to keep upgrading each year. I just think you could have used your words a litte more wisely because us guys with the little boats work very hard for our boats and are grateful to be able to afford them.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 days is perfect. Im not sure I'd be real happy with more of the little "cali-boat" crowd being there. Theres def a diff between the east and west coast crowds. And not in a good way
Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Theres def a diff between the east and west coast crowds. And not in a good way"
California boaters tans are tan- East coast boaters tans are Orange? What other diff could there be? LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
3 days is perfect. Im not sure I'd be real happy with more of the little "cali-boat" crowd being there. Theres def a diff between the east and west coast crowds. And not in a good way
I certainly hope your referring to the "flat billed, Black sock wearing, tattoo wake board Boat driving crowd", as I would have to agree with you.

If you are generalizing the California Boating community, then you sir are completely clueless, obviously arrogant and making an assumtion that you obviously know nothing about. But I'm sure your not
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminator28
I certainly hope your referring to the "flat billed, Black sock wearing, tattoo wake board Boat driving crowd", as I would have to agree with you.

If you are generalizing the California Boating community, then you sir are completely clueless, obviously arrogant and making an assumtion that you obviously know nothing about. But I'm sure your not
Exactly. Those tools
Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
Have to give Nichols credit for not jumping at the chance to move to the golf coarse. It would be a better setup, but really would only bring $$$ to the city and the club. By setting up the street venue, local businesses (Who already have issue with outsiders) can enjoy the extra income and lighten up on the idea of the Poker Run coming to town. That town has more red tape than welcome signs and for Jim to have made the friends and allies he has to have the option to expand without resistance speaks volumes about the mans abuilities as a promoter. This year felt like it widened a gap between ultra ritch and enthusiests. I think having a small boat run would bring those whom may not be able to spend, nor want to spend hundreds of thousands on lake boating back into the mix. And we need to remember that Running a your first Poker Run can be intimidating, maybe better tried in a 27 Lavey than a 40 Skater? So let the new guys start small and work there way up to the bigger
badder faster boats (If they even want to). And if not, I would like to see some of the old Campell works of art run together.
I for one would like to see the lurkers step up and pay to play. Every year people come from all over to watch the boats, run alongside and bar hop along with everyone else, all while not paying registration. This is low class and will either stunt the growth of the event, or shut it down altogether. Save up all year and give Jim the money for putting on the event... God knows the guy earned it!
My two cents and now stepping down from the soapbox.
Good stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.