Notices

Fatal Accident in Pa.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel sorry for the family, but would defend the witness who said he was going too fast.

We were at Yough Lake this past weekend as well as a couple other weekends this summer. That boat has been flying up and down the lake this summer (not just going a little too fast). It stood out for driving significantly faster and more aggressively than other boats on the lake. Everyone we talked to at the lake had noticed also, and yes I do mean EVERYONE.

I know it's not compassionate or politically correct to blame the victim, but there were also two teenage boys on that boat who he put at risk, as well as his sister. My kids could have been in the path of that boat when it came around that corner. We were up in that part of the lake a couple hours later, not knowing what had happened.

Saturday afternoon was busy on the lake. I was out there driving our boat, towing tubers and trying to give them a fun ride. It was tough trying to navigate through the traffic in places and the churn from all the wakes was rough.

After our tubing run Saturday, we were on our dock when that boat went flying by and I remember being really glad we were back on our dock when he came through.

Yes, it is sad, but I can't pretend this was just a guy out having fun on a holiday who had bad luck.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

THIS is going to be one of those threads.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
THIS is going to be one of those threads.
Just lock it now and get ahead of the curve.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Just lock it now and get ahead of the curve.
Why not just let it get hashed out. As hard as it might be to admit for some, WaterLuvR26 has some good points. It's obviously a small lake, there is a lot of boat traffic and multiple locals seem to think that this wasn't the first time that they thought that he was doing high speed runs at the wrong time.

Not trying to be a dik....but sometimes us (as powerboaters) are just as bad as the phucking idiots on jet skis.

It's really sad about the man losing his life. My condolences to the family.

Craig
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WaterLuvR26
I feel sorry for the family, but would defend the witness who said he was going too fast.

We were at Yough Lake this past weekend as well as a couple other weekends this summer. That boat has been flying up and down the lake this summer (not just going a little too fast). It stood out for driving significantly faster and more aggressively than other boats on the lake. Everyone we talked to at the lake had noticed also, and yes I do mean EVERYONE.

I know it's not compassionate or politically correct to blame the victim, but there were also two teenage boys on that boat who he put at risk, as well as his sister. My kids could have been in the path of that boat when it came around that corner. We were up in that part of the lake a couple hours later, not knowing what had happened.

Saturday afternoon was busy on the lake. I was out there driving our boat, towing tubers and trying to give them a fun ride. It was tough trying to navigate through the traffic in places and the churn from all the wakes was rough.

After our tubing run Saturday, we were on our dock when that boat went flying by and I remember being really glad we were back on our dock when he came through.

Yes, it is sad, but I can't pretend this was just a guy out having fun on a holiday who had bad luck.
I don't have first hand knowledge of the lake or the boat so I will only speak in generalities and say that on the lakes where I boat, the people pulling kids around on tubes on a very busy lake present much more of a hazard to me than the boats going fast.

In my experience, the boats pulling tubers are zig zagging back and forth, doing circles and their driving is much more erratic. A boat going at high speed is traveling in a straight line and is very predictable.

Again, the above is a general statement and doesn't apply to all tubers or all go fast boats. I don't know how much experience the captain had with that boat or why he turned at speed. Could have been a mechanical failure, something in the way, health problem, who knows. To say it was because he was going too fast is unsubstantiated at this point.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jstrahn
I don't have first hand knowledge of the lake or the boat so I will only speak in generalities and say that on the lakes where I boat, the people pulling kids around on tubes on a very busy lake present much more of a hazard to me than the boats going fast.

In my experience, the boats pulling tubers are zig zagging back and forth, doing circles and their driving is much more erratic. A boat going at high speed is traveling in a straight line and is very predictable.

Again, the above is a general statement and doesn't apply to all tubers or all go fast boats. I don't know how much experience the captain had with that boat or why he turned at speed. Could have been a mechanical failure, something in the way, health problem, who knows. To say it was because he was going too fast is unsubstantiated at this point.
+1 I brought my skater to lake norman and felt the same way, who the hell knows which way they are going to turn or cut in front of me?? I had a jet skier in SC cut right accross my path !! 2 kids whose parents were nowhere to be found!!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

first I would like to extend my condolences to the family and friends of the victim everyone in the high performace family is saddened by the loss

the witnesses described a sharp left one guy said a 90 deg turn , this is normally caused by a mechanical failure on a cat
typically a broken gimble ring , also steering tie bar etc. if one engine hicups or shuts off will cause this also ( I had a msd box quit at 135 and boat made a what sure felt like a 90 turn ) so I would be careful of jumping to the old "too fast " reasoning
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

First and foremost, consulances to the family and all directly involved. Before people jump to conclusions about the guy driving too fast..a mechanical failure could also be a contributing factor. RIP
Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

No disrespect to the family or anyone else, but the hard cold facts are that the person was driving in a way that he could not recover and avoid disaster, it comes down to,
Driving too fast for the conditions, it’s the driver’s fault.
It does not really mater if the boat broke, a wave hit wrong or whatever. We have all been there, 5 MPH or 200 MPH the fun stops with little notice, sometimes we save it through some miraculous miracle off driving skill, dumb luck, or a combination of the two. Our Egos will usually chock it up to skill; Reality is that being lucky factors in the highest.
There is some level of risk in everything we do

My condolences go out to the family and I look on the bright side that, while he no doubt would have liked a different outcome for himself and his family, he was having fun when it was his time to go!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JimJ
No disrespect to the family or anyone else, but the hard cold facts are that the person was driving in a way that he could not recover and avoid disaster, it comes down to,
Driving too fast for the conditions, it’s the driver’s fault.
It does not really mater if the boat broke, a wave hit wrong or whatever. We have all been there, 5 MPH or 200 MPH the fun stops with little notice, sometimes we save it through some miraculous miracle off driving skill, dumb luck, or a combination of the two. Our Egos will usually chock it up to skill; Reality is that being lucky factors in the highest.
There is some level of risk in everything we do

My condolences go out to the family and I look on the bright side that, while he no doubt would have liked a different outcome for himself and his family, he was having fun when it was his time to go!
If it was a mechanical failure or a heart attack, how is that driving too fast for the conditions? Should we drive our boats at 10 MPH or less just in case something breaks or in case we have a medical issue?

The bottom line is that sometimes accidents happen and it isn't always because of negligence.

It very well could have been inexperience and negligence but we just don't know that right now until an investigation shows that.

I prefer to give the man the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.