Notices

Fatal Accident in Pa.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Mr. Himmler have a 25 Daytona before he got the F34?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

This is second hand, but a ranger was talking a little about the accident at a routine boaters safety class at a campground on the lake this weekend.

The ranger said one of the teenagers on board the boat reported they had been going 110mph. I don't know if that was their speed at the time of the accident or if they had reached that speed at some other point during the ride.

I've also heard from people who knew him that the victim was a really great guy off the water, but he scared a lot of people on the water.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dans572
Did Mr. Himmler have a 25 Daytona before he got the F34?
The F34 was new this year. He had another boat up there last year; not sure what it was.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterLuvR26
This is second hand, but a ranger was talking a little about the accident at a routine boaters safety class at a campground on the lake this weekend.

The ranger said one of the teenagers on board the boat reported they had been going 110mph. I don't know if that was their speed at the time of the accident or if they had reached that speed at some other point during the ride.

I've also heard from people who knew him that the victim was a really great guy off the water, but he scared a lot of people on the water.
What a wonderful post to stick up after such an accident.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
We used to run on a lake in central Ohio that was only 6 miles long and was broke into two speed zones approx. 2 1/2 miles long.
There was LOT's of fast boats on that lake. I'm talking 100+.
Almost everyone on the water knew this and a lot were there because of this.
You had to be on your "A" game to make passes on weekends but was a constant occurence. The other boats there paid attention to their course as did the fast boats even though you regularly passed close to each other. Of the 100 or so times I've been there the ONLY issues I ever had were boats pulling tubes turning in front of me! Driver facing aft watching tuber as he cranks on the wheel.
This has gone on for yrs and yrs and yrs w/next to no issues involving the fast boats and to the point that the water patrol will normally just "observe" the fast guys.
As I posted at the beginning of this thread, at warp speed almost anything that happens can be an issue. Throwing a blade will spook you at the very least!
The media and anti fast boat agenda always jump on board first in these instances when 99.9% of the time the driver of the fast boat is the most experienced, safest, well prepared driver on the water but always the first to blame.
Also on the lake described above, of the issues reported on the busy weekends almost all are in-experienced operators in 30 mph boats.
Alum Creek?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default Buckeye.

Originally Posted by bobonthis
Alum Creek?
Used to do similar very often there as well but the water patrol were dicks and way more 30 mph idiots.

Used to slalom ski by the bridge at Alum to get good water and would have tubers cut in front of us all the time. All while EVERYONE in the boat was looking backwards and zig zagging all over the damn lake.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm betting on mechanical failure,
Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Default Agreed.

Originally Posted by GPM
I'm betting on mechanical failure,
Looked like a hook and if so............., lots of mechanical gremlins/failures to start/cause one of those.

Here's what a chunk of pressure treated 4' X 4" does at 95 mph.
Consider too that it would float at or just bellow the surface of the water and no way you'd ever see it. Small inland lake in Ohio (Buckeye), very early fall, just after they re-raise the water level from the winter. That's when all the locals repair their docks.
Their scrap sitting on ice or dry bottom becomes a danger to navigation at normal water level.
Me in the front bucket and my buddy in back. Both in race vests.
So who would you think is claimed as more dangerous? A 95 mph 19' boat or a 110 mph 35' boat??
How bout a 30 mph bow rider with the kids in the bow after that locks the prop up????

BTW, that surgically removed one blade and left a hole in the hub where it use to be. Could hold a 4 X 4 up to the damage and it matched exactly! Broke every bolt boss (3/8") in the mid section! Look close at the drive shaft where it goes in the mid and also at the piece of mid still bolted to the back of the gear case.
Had 2 hrs on the new boat from just before the accident. This is why you ALWAYS wear a race vest in a fast boat!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-11-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Saw a Bravo 1, looked just like that after hitting a submerged log.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Default Wow.

Originally Posted by GPM
Saw a Bravo 1, looked just like that after hitting a submerged log.
That'd be ugly. When I had my cruiser out on Lake Erie one time I saw something bobbing in the water and could tell by how slow it moved it was very heavy and submerged, looked like the top of a bowling ball. This was in the middle of one of the main (busy as hell) channels between the islands.
Was a telephone pole (full length!) floating vertically.
Wonder if you'd see that in your 30 mph boat? Or 10 mph at night?
I roped it and drug it to the beach.

BTW, new accident last weekend in the Hudson River. 19' open bow impacted a concrete embankment of some kind. 4:30 A.M.
Killed four.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.