Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
porpoising-prop, ballast, or ??? >

porpoising-prop, ballast, or ???

Notices

porpoising-prop, ballast, or ???

Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, now it's Winter here and I have time to analyze this once again. I got a Ron Hill 4 blade 22 for Bravo I. As expected, quick to plane, stern lift, more stability, a little less on the porpoising issue (have determined: less fuel, less porpoise.)

Anyway, I can run about 70 with a 23 Mirage Plus 3 blade. With this particular 4 blade I get close to 60, and the engine's reved out. Now granted, I know I can push a bigger prop, but I'm wondering, could the stern lift be too much already? You can physically feel and see how much more the boat sits higher in the water when running on plane. I'm gonna sell the 22 soon, but wondering should I try a 24 or 26 next?

Thanks ya'll.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would try a 24 Bravo prop. A 26 will be too much. Use a box stock prop so you can get a solid baseline and then maybe have BBlades custom lab it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have trim tabs on the boat?

If you do, try running them in a neutral position, even with the bottom of the boat, or just a hair under and see if it improves.

also, what position do you have the drive set? is it over-trimmed?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I had the same boat ( but with a 502) from 92'-97'

I never recalled it porpoising...... as mentioned, the ride sucked on anything over a ripple.

I ran a 24 turbo 3 blade on mine....tried a hydro Q4 once ,
didnt work so well.

I'd be looking at the bottom too...the drives on these are pretty deep, 3 blades should be the best performers.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Panther, If I drag some tab, it does help remedy the problem, but, of course, will sacrifice speed.

JT, my hull is stamped late 90, and they changed the hull dimensions the very next year (91 and up), not sure which year had. Mine is titled a 91 but is actually a 90. Yes, skips like a rock on a pond, but launches like a bullet!

Anyway, if anyone needs a test hours only 22p, let me know!!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=bigbang;3571576]Yes, skips like a rock on a pond, but launches like a bullet!QUOTE]

A friend of mine had one of those many years ago. Yes, it launched like a bullet, but it rode like a floor jack. We always used to bring Rick's boat up when we discussed deadrise and its effects on speed and ability to handle rough water. Yea, Rick had the speed - and a good Chiropractor! One swwet looking boat though!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Intentional hook in the hull will raise the stern and cause the boat to ride flatter with less porpoising. So, I doubt your boat has a hook. Boats with a rocker in them ride with more bow lift and tend to porpoise more as they can, well, rock back and forth. Add a prop that tries to carry the bow but can't and the porpoising gets worse.

Now unintentional hook in the wrong spot, only on one side, etc would give you some weird handling issues.

Just put a straight edge under the last 4' of the boat on each side and see what you have.

For a prop my vote is for a Rev4. Fast 4-blade with much better bow lift than a Bravo and much better handling than a Mirage +. Every boat is different but I went through the same thing. I was certain a stern lifting prop would help as the boat would ride flatter. Both the Bravo and Quad4 may my boat handle horribly.

As others have said try just barely dragging the tabs. My boat has a slight rocker and if I really hang my boat out all the way in calm water it porpoises. Dragging the tabs just slightly calms it down and scrubs very little speed(about 2mph). At cruise I HAVE to drag tab.

Just my point-o-two.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbang
Panther, If I drag some tab, it does help remedy the problem, but, of course, will sacrifice speed.

JT, my hull is stamped late 90, and they changed the hull dimensions the very next year (91 and up), not sure which year had. Mine is titled a 91 but is actually a 90. Yes, skips like a rock on a pond, but launches like a bullet!

Anyway, if anyone needs a test hours only 22p, let me know!!
Mine was a 91'... 92' is when they went to 20* bottom....and they dont ride
much better.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

bet its rocker, I have it and its bad on my saber boat wants to leap out of the water, going to take it out. its the last 4 to 6'' of the hull.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it sounds like the boat has some hook on the bottom,as allready mentioned,check the last 4 to5 feet with a straight edge,if you get the btm straight,you will see a world of difference in ride quality,there is a shop by me that does btm work every day.good luck.