Gas Caddies - Anybody use them? >

Gas Caddies - Anybody use them?

Notices

Gas Caddies - Anybody use them?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use the blue drums also. they suck to get out of the bed of the truck since their almost 500#'s but once on the ground i tip them on their side ant roll them all around the yard. I use a electric drum pump and it drains 60 gals in about 8 mins.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS930
What size air tank are you using and how much pressure in the drum?
I have an old 20#freon tank made into an air tank, will blow the whole drum with 80 psi in the tank. You only need a small amount of pressure in the drum 2-3 psi will move a lot of fuel so you just allow a little air in at a time. I leave it in the back of the truck and use a long hose to the boat. If the tide is low enough I can let the boat down and just use the air to start a siphon, then it just drains by itself.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a siphon hose called the jiggler that work great and it works really fast . its available at harbor freight for $5.99. of course the boat has to be lower than the portable tank for it to work.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all these suggestions.

So do most of you drain your tanks for winter or top them off? I'm still undecided on this as now a new opinion of a local busy marine mechanic tells me "if you keep the boat in a shed, as you do, you will not get as much phase separation or water in the fuel because of more controlled temperature variations. Over winter no problem."
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to keep them full, but with all the ethanol issues these days, I dont want that crap sitting in there any longer than necessary. I now run the tanks down on everything at the end of the season to minimize all that gas going bad and the ethanol doing a number on things. In the spring I add a little IPA to suck up any moisture and then put in fresh gas.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Empty your tanks for winter. I wish I could fuel my boat at my dock. My lease clearly states that fueling is not allowed except at the gas dock and they will void your lease if they catch you gassing your boat in your slip. Which is nice...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just used an electric Holley pump and disconnected the line at my boat fuel pump to connect, then a long hose from boat to cars gas tank.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
I have an old 20#freon tank made into an air tank, will blow the whole drum with 80 psi in the tank. You only need a small amount of pressure in the drum 2-3 psi will move a lot of fuel so you just allow a little air in at a time. I leave it in the back of the truck and use a long hose to the boat. If the tide is low enough I can let the boat down and just use the air to start a siphon, then it just drains by itself.
nice idea especially since I have air on my truck, but i have a question. the dip tube is on one side of barrel to the bottom. Where is the air fitting? On top on other side of barrel?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAIME
nice idea especially since I have air on my truck, but i have a question. the dip tube is on one side of barrel to the bottom. Where is the air fitting? On top on other side of barrel?
Yeah, the blue barrels have 2 screw in caps, I drilled one out and tapped it for the dip tube fitting and drilled the other one for the air fitting. Use a metal fitting available at most auto parts stores.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I've just used an electric Holley pump and disconnected the line at my boat fuel pump to connect, then a long hose from boat to cars gas tank.
I think I kinda like this - sort of like my own 200 gal. automobile gas supply for the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.